Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2018, 23:10   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Israel for the winter

For non Schengen boats it is a constant where do we spend the winter. As full time liveaboards and sailing across in 2013, we spent 2 winters in Tunisia and 3 in Turkey. Most of what we have read here and else where do not seem to realize there are options for non Schengen boats where it is warm and you can sail most of the year.

We did our research and thanks to a member of the Jeanneau Owners Forum who is in Israel we decided to spend the winter in Israel. We sailed from Larnaca Cyprus to Herzliya Israel. Security was what we expected but nothing unexpected or over the top and check in was easier than almost anyplace we have been.

There is nothing wrong with the other alternatives but we do like variety in our life and Israel will give us that and allow us to continue our inland travels to explore other areas.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 23:25   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Israel for the winter

We enjoyed our time in Israel, and I would have like to have stayed there longer. There is so much history and so many things to see and do while there.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 00:07   #3

Boat: Bavaria 40 Ocean

How are the marina prices for winterstay?
Barbaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 03:44   #4

We wintered over in Israel at Herzliya Marina. Arrived late December from Cyprus, departed late March to Crete.

An excellent wintering location, we rented a car and put 9,000 kms (almost 6,000 miles) on it, crisscrossing the country as there is so much to see, including Egyptian, Phoenician, Canaanite, Roman, Greek, Byzantine and Latin/Norman ruins (from the time of the Kingdom of Jerusalem), in addition, of course, to Jewish sites. There are also extensive Turkish and Arab works (respectively, much of the walls of Jerusalem and the Dome of the Rock, for example), though we didn't spend much time with those.

Herzliya Marina prices are not cheap but we most definitively got our money's worth from our very dense tourist schedule. And there are so many sites and museums we didn't get to visit!

Tax tip: full time liveaboards like ourselves who haven't been home in years and need to update one's Macs or iPhones can buy new ones in Eilat (S of Israel) tax free, as it is an Israeli VAT free-zone. Much cheaper than in Europe, and if you shop around, essentially you get the same or slightly lower price as you would pay back in the States. You still get Apple's standard 1-yr worldwide warranty, though you may not be able to purchase U.S. AppleCare extended warranty and may have to buy Israeli AppleCare extended warranty (valid worldwide), if that's your custom (we don't).
Fr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 20:31   #5

Boat: M50, 50.5x14.5x7

So you say Herzliya Marina isnot cheap, can you give th monthly rate in USD please...thanks
kewlrunninz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 00:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlrunninz View Post
So you say Herzliya Marina isnot cheap, can you give th monthly rate in USD please...thanks
We are paying about or less than we paid in Netsel in Marmaris last year. and it is a lot warmer and we are doing day sails at least once a week. We understand Ashdod may be cheaper but we did not check there but locals told us it is less expensive. The only problem is it is way south and Herzliya is in the center of the country. We have taken 2 trips to Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Jaffa so far - all on a day trip. No need for a hotel.
Tel Aviv also has a marina that people have wintered in. Not sure of the prices.

But WOW wish we had stayed here before. It is warm -still in shorts and tee shirt and no socks - well it is cool today with mid 60s and wind - but then it is winter here.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:07   #7

Israel is for sure on my list. It would be nice to see the actual price pr.feet.
Does Israel have a cruising fee or other fees made out to punish sailors?
Old 05-12-2018, 07:43   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 40' DS (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaria View Post
Israel is for sure on my list. It would be nice to see the actual price pr.feet.
Does Israel have a cruising fee or other fees made out to punish sailors?
Hi sailors,
I am the one to be blamed tempting Chuck to winter here in Israel.
Herzliya marina was willing to quote same monthly rate that we the local natives pay. For a boat like Chuck's i.e 40' is about 600$/mouth. Water included, you pay electricity by a meter.
That is all, no other fees no need for local agent ,no cruising log just come and stay.
The winter weather here is really the best in the world, we sail 365 days a year and Chuck will witness that , he is amazed how much of us here are using their boats so very often.
Israel would be a very attractive place for anyone from any religious.Too much history for anyone. Israel is a modern and advanced western country and a real good place to spend your time in.
Just 30 sailing hours from Cyprus , 55 of them coming from Turkey.

So.......... Just come.
Alex
alex49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:47   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex49 View Post
Hi sailors,
I am the one to be blamed tempting Chuck to winter here in Israel.
Herzliya marina was willing to quote same monthly rate that we the local natives pay. For a boat like Chuck's i.e 40' is about 600$/mouth. Water included, you pay electricity by a meter.
That is all, no other fees no need for local agent ,no cruising log just come and stay.
The winter weather here is really the best in the world, we sail 365 days a year and Chuck will witness that , he is amazed how much of us here are using their boats so very often.
Israel would be a very attractive place for anyone from any religious.Too much history for anyone. Israel is a modern and advanced western country and a real good place to spend your time in.
Just 30 sailing hours from Cyprus , 55 of them coming from Turkey.

So.......... Just come.
Alex
I agree with most. BUT - Alex, sailing 365d/y? Did you sail yesterday (I did...) or today?😄
Old 08-12-2018, 03:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I agree with most. BUT - Alex, sailing 365d/y? Did you sail yesterday (I did...) or today?��

In every life a bit of rain must fall. Yea you can sail year round here. Our big issues are do we sightsee or sail. We do have some wind and rain and that is just life BUT -- I am still in tee shirts, shorts and no socks - and we have not pulled the heater out to keep us warm.

Israel is year round sailing period and great people. Yesterday we had a couple of guys on our dock come and check on their boats and then stopped by to see how we were doing and that does not include the call from Alex.

By the way when we sight see we do it on daytrips. So far we have been to Tel Aviv and Jaffa and Jerusalem twice. We get up early catch a train to Jerusalem do some sight seeing and then return in the evening - no need for a hotel.

You want a great winter layover - come to Israel.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:54   #11

600$ a month for a 40 footer sounds a bit high with only water included. Is there a lot of infrastructure like bathrooms, washing machine etc. included in the price? I I’m currently moored in winter Norway for 8 moth, the most expensive country in the world?, and here we pay approx 300$ including electricity, water and shower, bathroom.

I believe that building and maintenance cost for a marina that is frozen 8 months each year is high as well. While in Israel with perfect climate all year would be less, or maybe not? Having visited Israel before I know the climate and the sights are very nice.
Old 08-12-2018, 23:28   #12

Quote:
600$ a month for a 40 footer sounds a bit high with only water included. Is there a lot of infrastructure like bathrooms, washing machine etc. included in the price? I I’m currently moored in winter Norway for 8 moth, the most expensive country in the world?, and here we pay approx 300$ including electricity, water and shower, bathroom.

I believe that building and maintenance cost for a marina that is frozen 8 months each year is high as well. While in Israel with perfect climate all year would be less, or maybe not? Having visited Israel before I know the climate and the sights are very nice.
We took a look at our cost for last year in Marmaris and it was a little less but we had to pay for a lot for electricity as we had to run our heater all winter 24hr a day - we have yet to pull our heater out of storage - The cost here is reasonable - in the end we will be paying less here

As for infrastructure - yes there are quite nice showers, laundry, a full grocery store is 5 min walk, eating and drinking are numerous as well as folks on the dock who will help and assist and concern for you - they stop by after a major blow to make sure we were ok - we will be hauling out here also -

In Turkey we could have spent less. Some of our friends did but at a location that was in the middle of nowhere, had no boat parts, had a limited workforce for repairs, had nothing in town that would keep you there but it was cheap. There are a number of places in Turkey that we simply would not stay as full time liveaboards but they are cheaper than here.

question for 300 a month can you sail in Nov, Dec, Jan, -- you get the idea - we can and have and will -
Old 09-12-2018, 02:05   #13

Sounds like a good place to winter. How are does the Israelis react to cruisers doing weektrips to Beirut or Tyr and back? Last time I was there 20 years ago it was a hassle to do a border crossing.
Old 10-01-2019, 23:42   #14

We went to Immigration yesterday to renew our 90 visa and actually asked for a longer one. They gave us until the end of May. Great people to work with and a real sense of humor. They understood that we are here just for the winter and worked with us.

We also had a full boat inspection and passed with flying colors. It is required. In some countries we have been to we have been inspected on any arrival. Israel it is after 90 days. Then even gave us a list of what they would be looking for. Super nice guy and a real pro. It was great talking to someone is one the worlds leading sailboat race judges.

Put Israel on your list to winter over. You will not be disappointed. OH and for those pork lovers we have a couple Russian stores nearby that have great meat and like a lot of Balkan countries really good smoked meat.
Old 10-01-2019, 23:48   #15

Quote:
Sounds like a good place to winter. How are does the Israelis react to cruisers doing weektrips to Beirut or Tyr and back? Last time I was there 20 years ago it was a hassle to do a border crossing.

Jordan is no issue. But at times going to other places we simply will not try. Tensions come and go and I WILL GET INTO POLITICS ON THIS FORUNM - Like a lot of places we have been to we needed to make sure we could cross borders. We did not attempt to go to Macedonia from Greece or vice versa.

It would require some research on your part and ask the questions to the parties involved. We do plan to sail to Egypt and have made no bones about it.

Tags
Israel