Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 09:09   #1

Boat: Bavaria 37
How Is Santorini (Thira) Entrance?

HI !
The "marina" south of Santorini is often silted... I Sailed there years ago. Does anybody has recent information about the deepness at the entrance ?( I : 1,90 meter draught)...
If it is OK we will be there in a week...
From Samos,
Thanks
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 23:47   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Re: How is Santorini (Thira) Entrance?

Hi Jacques,
I've also not been there recently but thinking about it, they have multiple fishing boats that must draw 2 metres using the facility so maybe you've nothing to worry about.
Hopefully a local can come on and clarify.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 24-04-2011, 00:06   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46
We actually ran aground (hard!) in the entrance two days ago. Our draft is 2.05m. I was on the radio with the harbour master who said he'd guide us in and that he'd had 1.9 m and 2 m drafts in recently. We touched lightly in the centre of the channel so in another attempt moved further right following his directions and thump! Didn't feel like silt to me but quite hard sand. No damage and all is well but I wasn't very impressed.

We're currently sitting on a buoy below Oia which has an easy dinghy pier close by and steps unto the village. The views are magnificent!
Hugh Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 09:39   #4

Thanks a lot both 2...
Hugh, can you tell me more about "We're currently sitting on a buoy below Oia". In the Imray, it is not clear it is so convenient... Maybe things have improved ?
Old 24-04-2011, 21:30   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46
You're right it's not well described in the Greek Waters Pilot. Oia is a small village on the far northern part of the caldera. Once in the vicinity of Oia you'll see the staircase and pier far below with a few small buildings (nothing commercial). There are about eight large buoys here (probably for cruise liners). Take a line ashore if you can because there's a cross current.

36 26'4 N 25 25'17 E
Hugh Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 02:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2
HI !
The "marina" south of Santorini is often silted... I Sailed there years ago. Does anybody has recent information about the deepness at the entrance ?( I : 1,90 meter draught)...
If it is OK we will be there in a week...
From Samos,
Thanks
We were stuck there last year, sitting out a storm for several days in may. Harbour entrance was silted up and scraped our way in through the sand. Had rod hinkles pilot guide which was wrong. Guide said keep to port when entering, when it was actually better to keep to starboard.
Sailordaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 02:39   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Walker View Post
You're right it's not well described in the Greek Waters Pilot. Oia is a small village on the far northern part of the caldera. Once in the vicinity of Oia you'll see the staircase and pier far below with a few small buildings (nothing commercial). There are about eight large buoys here (probably for cruise liners). Take a line ashore if you can because there's a cross current.

36 26'4 N 25 25'17 E
Thanks for the info. I hope to visit soon.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 04:06   #8

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

I would never moor in the so called marina yes have attempted too on two occasions and as i draw 2.1 i was scrapping the bottom it just gets continually silted up and hugh you are lucky to get onto a buoy at the moment in fact its the perfect time to use them as in three weeks the cruise ship season really kicks off and you wont get on them i have found anchoring of Perissa beach the best option of all, you have the bluff of the red cave rocks to protect you and you can anchor very close to shore with safety
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 13:45   #9

Re: How Is Santorini ( Thira ) Entrance ?

I was there at the first half of April this year. We came at night and run aground. Keep starboard as close as possible to rocks. It was the only way. The depth is less than 2 meters. It could be sand but keel got two good deep scratches after this.
Oleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 07:34   #10

Re: How Is Santorini (Thira) Entrance?

Oleo , and there is the reason for not entering it , so how do you know there was two deep scratches in keel and was it your own boat ?
Old 29-04-2011, 22:14   #11

beneteau-500, charter boat, I dived and saw scratches.
Oleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:16   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Jacques, I hope you give us an update after you have spent your week there.

Beneteau50, Did you have to watch the weather? Perissa looks like it would only be safe during extended calms. Panoramio - Photo of WAVES

What about Thirasia? It looks very protected with a fair amount of room and from photos it looks like you can anchor fairly far out.
Old 01-05-2011, 13:56   #13

Thirasia is a good spot to drop the hook but the only prob is it does get packed out as for perissa beach you can get very close into the beach and cliff face there yes check wind direction only time it is a prob if wind is from s/w
Old 02-05-2011, 02:27   #14

Hi !
According to what I red on this thread, I have changed my plan and will not sail to Santorini (with my boat).... We left Nisyros this morning for Kalymnos... The meteo is not so good and we have some reparation (works) to do onboard.
Old 20-06-2011, 03:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post
Hi !
According to what I red on this thread, I have changed my plan and will not sail to Santorini (with my boat).... We left Nisyros this morning for Kalymnos... The meteo is not so good and we have some reparation (works) to do onboard.
For all those who are interested to sail to Santorini (I just came back): Vlikhada is indeed not deeper than 2 m any more nowadays (june 2011), so others sailors who went there, told me in Ios. You might find a place on one of the appr. 10 buoys near Oia. They were all occupied. Some were lucky that they could use one of these, but many turned around and around. If you have more than 2 m depth it is a problem to go to Santorini. There is also room for some boats on the Middle Island, but I think it is not recommanded to anchor there, and you still will have to find a boat that will bring you to Thira ... and back!
I left the boat in Ios (as suggested by a sailor in IOS) and took the fast ferry (45 minutes). It costs 33 € per person. The ferry leaves Ios now at 10.40 and departure from Santorini at 16.20. It is short, but hire a car (25 €) and go directly to Oia. you will be there at 11.30 and stay there 2 hours. Spend the rest of the time in Thira (1 hour) and leave Thira at 15.45 to catch your boat at 16.20, as we almost missed it ... It is to my opinion the best option nowadays, unless you keel is appr. 170 cm. (I have been twice in Vlikhada years ago, when depths were still OK. Well sheltered, easy to go to Thira with a taxi. I loved the nice restaurant in top ...)
Frederik
Frederik V is offline   Reply With Quote