Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 01:25   #16

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer
Re: How do I get a VHF license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
So what is the down side risk if you operate your VHF and SSB radios on your own boat with no license or permit ?
It depend where you are from. In most countries, you are not able to register for an MMSI number until you have an MROC, so you will not have DSC or AIS capability.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:11   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Yes you can go to commercial private peddlers of government documents who charge you for something you can do yourself for little or nothing. They hawk everything from US postage stamps to IRS tax forms but look at the web addresses, I scrolled through seven pages on a Google search before I came to an official FCC.gov website. The government doesn't pay Google to put their websites at the top and the government doesn't share your personal data with commercial firms. Or just sit down at your own computer and make up a radio operator's license for yourself, like the old Vietnam CIA ID known as the "Get Out of Jail Free card. I'll guaranty that most US or foreign government personnel would not know the real thing if they saw . Heck, TSA had never see the Merchant Mariner Document or the TWIC card when they first came out, not sure if they have yet.

first what kind of person you are, criminal or something when you are suggesting someone to make forgery, fake document and even take it abroad.
second, maybe you can bring fake document and fool them in this country.....

in Croatia they will check all your documents, serial numbers, certificate numbers etc,with relevant authorities before they give you a boat, they all doing that in charter companies but they will not tell you that. I know that because my brother in law waking for one of companies that operate in Croatia.

simply, why you can not get one of these and have peace of mind rest of your life, wherever you go.

earlgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:37   #18

Boat: Tayana 37

As Hartley said: go to fcc website. Register yourself with them. Apply for a Restrictred Radiotelephone Operator Permit, pay your money, download the .pdf, print said .pdf of your permit, and you’re done.
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:31   #19

OK, thanks all. I have successfully applied for the RR at the FCC website and paid $70. The next day I got a return email from a Croatian charter company, answering my questions and confirming that the RR is one that would be accepted.

Your feedback was very helpful.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
OK, thanks all. I have successfully applied for the RR at the FCC website and paid $70. The next day I got a return email from a Croatian charter company, answering my questions and confirming that the RR is one that would be accepted.

Your feedback was very helpful.

No tests? How did you manage to navigate the FCC site? I looked, and couldn't figure it out in the two minutes I gave it.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:19   #21

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Let get sailing, they don't make it easy

Basically, go to the FCC's ULS system page for the FRN login:

FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS): ULS Home

If you have an FRN, log in, otherwise, click on "Register" to get your FRN.

Once you have an FRN login, click on the "Online Filing" Login button, and log in. Once you're there, click on "Apply for a new license" on the lefthand column of choices. Select "RR" as your license service, and walk through the steps from there.

This is how you would apply for a ship's license as well as almost any other sort of action regarding an FCC license (including ham licenses). If you already have a ship's license or ham ticket, you will want to associate it with your FRN, which will make renewals, modifications, etc. MUCH easier.

73 DE Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:31   #22

No tests. The most difficult glitch was when I clicked on the button to Register, I got the dreaded Site not Reached screen. I tried a different computer. Same thing, several times. Finally it somehow reached, but I can't say I know how.

PS thank you, HartleyG. I got an email today saying my license was granted.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 08:11   #23

Boat: Hunter 33.5'

links have changed slightly, so for the benefit of others:

apply for FRN (FCC registration number):
https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

then apply for "RR" license using your new FRN:
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

pay your 70 bucks and then wait for FCC to "process" the application. not sure what happens next, but assume that i'll receive notice when complete and which time I'll officially have an FCC VHF license.
i-Zapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 07:28   #24

Hi everyone. Is my understanding correct that I can only apply for RROP once I actually have a boat? I just did FCC (FRN) registration process but wondering if I can also get RROP license now or only once I have a boat VHF to register...
Thanks in advance
Ralph71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 08:48   #25

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph71 View Post
Hi everyone. Is my understanding correct that I can only apply for RROP once I actually have a boat? I just did FCC (FRN) registration process but wondering if I can also get RROP license now or only once I have a boat VHF to register...
Thanks in advance
The RROP belongs to a person, a ship station license belongs to the vessel. To get an RROP without a vessel fill out form 605, skip sections 24 and 25. Fill out Schedule E with code RR. Submit your forms and your $ (Form 159). Do it all online, much faster and easier.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...m/commercial-0
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 09:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The RROP belongs to a person, a ship station license belongs to the vessel. To get an RROP without a vessel fill out form 605, skip sections 24 and 25. Fill out Schedule E with code RR. Submit your forms and your $ (Form 159). Do it all online, much faster and easier.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...m/commercial-0
------------------------
Thank you very much for your quick reply Dsanduril. But, with apologies, now I'm even more confused: I just completed (on the 20th attempt or so, because the website kept crashing) an RROP license application via link that iZapp posted (https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp), paid my $70 and received notification that application was received. Is this the same or a different license (as I didn't go thru form 605)?

I also now understand that ship's license (SSL) is different (form 605) and that I can only do once I actually have a boat...
Old 18-02-2021, 10:16   #27

Boat: 41' Morgan Out Island Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Zapp View Post
links have changed slightly, so for the benefit of others:

apply for FRN (FCC registration number):
https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

then apply for "RR" license using your new FRN:
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

pay your 70 bucks and then wait for FCC to "process" the application. not sure what happens next, but assume that i'll receive notice when complete and which time I'll officially have an FCC VHF license.

Thank you so much, made it much easier for me to apply online. I had to find my HAM radio FRN though. A quick Google search and reset a password and I was in. License approved!
nolakennedys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:31   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph71 View Post
------------------------
Thank you very much for your quick reply Dsanduril. But, with apologies, now I'm even more confused: I just completed (on the 20th attempt or so, because the website kept crashing) an RROP license application via link that iZapp posted (https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp), paid my $70 and received notification that application was received. Is this the same or a different license (as I didn't go thru form 605)?

I also now understand that ship's license (SSL) is different (form 605) and that I can only do once I actually have a boat...
If you filled out the RR application online at that site and then paid $70, you are fine. The site fills out the form FCC 605 for you in the background. You can actually navigate within the site to "my applications" where it will allow you to download and print a paper copy of the form, although there is no reason to do this.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:54   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
If you filled out the RR application online at that site and then paid $70, you are fine. The site fills out the form FCC 605 for you in the background. You can actually navigate within the site to "my applications" where it will allow you to download and print a paper copy of the form, although there is no reason to do this.
--------------------
Thank you very much Pandor

Tags
license, vhf