Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2017, 04:30   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge
Horror with agents and transit logs in Turkey

I have just completed 3 months cruising in Turkey, having bought my boat there in December.

The Antalya agent who set up my transit log charged me €400 (yes Euro, not Lira) because "boat had new owner".

When I left Datca yesterday, the agent there claimed there was a stamp missing on the paper work, so I must pay a penalty of €200 plus his fees. When I asked for a receipt I was told it would take time and I would have to stay longer.

So €625 in fees.

At the same time as going though exit prodedures, the local harbour police started hassling me, forcing me to buy a new Turkish flag (old one was ok but had a minor fray). I suspect in cahoots with the agent so I didn't challenge the "penalty".

If this expense wasn't a scam, then the fees are shocking.

By comparison, I entered Greece in Symi, did all clearances myself in less than an hour, total costs €45, and really helpful and friendly immigration staff and harbour police.
anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 10:54   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
Re: Horror with agents and transit logs in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp0808 View Post
I have just completed 3 months cruising in Turkey, having bought my boat there in December.

The Antalya agent who set up my transit log charged me €400 (yes Euro, not Lira) because "boat had new owner".

When I left Datca yesterday, the agent there claimed there was a stamp missing on the paper work, so I must pay a penalty of €200 plus his fees. When I asked for a receipt I was told it would take time and I would have to stay longer.

So €625 in fees.

At the same time as going though exit prodedures, the local harbour police started hassling me, forcing me to buy a new Turkish flag (old one was ok but had a minor fray). I suspect in cahoots with the agent so I didn't challenge the "penalty".

By comparison, I entered Greece in Symi, did all clearances myself in less than an hour, total costs €45, and really helpful and friendly immigration staff and harbour police.
Please provide the names of the 2 agents so we can avoid them.
Also post your story with the names on Facebook "Med Sailing" group.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 12:36   #3

We have used Knidos Travel - Ahmet Ozeturk in Datca and Luis Kaladoukas in Symi for years and very happy with their service
Zingaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 14:32   #4

Every story I hear about that country from the politics to sailing makes me glad I've never wanted to visit. So many more enlightened countries nearby. Looking forward to the islands off Greece and Italy, some again!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 14:39   #5
cruiser

We'll visit Turkey eventually, but probably without the boat. It would be too expensive and too much hassle to fit holding tanks and grey water tanks just to satisfy this nonsense... then still have trouble.

Turkey sounds like it's almost as much trouble for boaters as California, but many thousands cheaper.... even if I do install holding and grey water tanks.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 16:10   #6

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We'll visit Turkey eventually, but probably without the boat. It would be too expensive and too much hassle to fit holding tanks and grey water tanks just to satisfy this nonsense... then still have trouble.

Turkey sounds like it's almost as much trouble for boaters as California, but many thousands cheaper.... even if I do install holding and grey water tanks.
Istanbul is well worth a visit, however you get there.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 17:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
As disgusted as I am with my state I'll take it over Turkey any day. You can have it.
Looking forward to a nice bowl of seafood pasta on Ischia again soon!
Old 30-07-2017, 10:38   #8

Boat: Hunter 54

Quote:

So €625 in fees.

Dear anthonyp0808,
The horror story you have experienced in my country of origin has really upset me. I would like to help you get even with the individuals you are accusing. There must be other victims and if they also come forward, we can build a case and put these crooks in jail. Pardon my using the popular phraseology, but there is a lot of “fake news” about Turkey not being a country of law. Most of this fake news is due to global news paper reporter’s knee jerk reactions to the large number of reporters jailed in Turkey. Very few people care to find out about the court cases and the real reasons why these reporters ended up in jail.
The problem with publishing stories like yours is it gives an opportunity to some individuals to jump in and deteriorate an accurate reporting of a real “horror story” into irrational ranting, raving and ultra nationalistic hate mongering.
Having said all of the above, please provide detailed information in the form of dates, places, names, badge numbers, physical descriptions etc. as much as possible so that we can make things right.
Fair winds to you sir.
Ahmet Erkan NC
Ahmet Erkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 10:52   #9

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Dear Ahmet, I lived and worked in Turkey. After 9 month I canceled my contract. If you want to put all the people in jail that stole from me, you have a day job. You must be a dreamer, blind or a politician. I wish Turkey and the Turkish people a lot of wisdom for the future.
Old 30-07-2017, 11:43   #10

I have been going to Turkey for thirty years love the people the food and the natural beauty . I enjoy it and will be staying [emoji106]
Zingaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 12:10   #11

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html
Old 30-07-2017, 12:34   #12

There may be a lesson here regarding the use of Agents. You won't be ripped off if you don't use them.
Legit officials are always on the look out for the boaters who flout the rules using duplicate log books to illegally travel between Turkey and Greece. Not all boaters are "Clean" either.
Arriving and leaving foreign countries is almost always a hassle, but remember one thing, it's their country and they are entitled to make the rules. However dumb and inconvenient they may appear.
This has never stopped me or most sailors from sailing to a new country and exploring the world, so take heart!
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 15:55   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:

So €625 in fees.

I'm told the "Baksheesh" system works well in Turkey as does a carton of Marlbro!
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 16:04   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmet Erkan View Post
Dear anthonyp0808,
The horror story you have experienced in my country of origin has really upset me. I would like to help you get even with the individuals you are accusing. There must be other victims and if they also come forward, we can build a case and put these crooks in jail. Pardon my using the popular phraseology, but there is a lot of “fake news” about Turkey not being a country of law. Most of this fake news is due to global news paper reporter’s knee jerk reactions to the large number of reporters jailed in Turkey. Very few people care to find out about the court cases and the real reasons why these reporters ended up in jail.
The problem with publishing stories like yours is it gives an opportunity to some individuals to jump in and deteriorate an accurate reporting of a real “horror story” into irrational ranting, raving and ultra nationalistic hate mongering.
Having said all of the above, please provide detailed information in the form of dates, places, names, badge numbers, physical descriptions etc. as much as possible so that we can make things right.
Fair winds to you sir.
Ahmet Erkan NC
I recall last week the Turkish police arrested The Avaase and Amnisti secretaries, for what? Pointing out things the government don't like. How many police/military have been arrested in the last 12 months?
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 21:23   #15

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge

Hi Ahmet

Thank you for your kind words.

The agent in Antalya is
Cevdet YILMAZER
email is info@yilmazeryatcilik.com
gsm +905457711907.

His office is in the Setur Marina, Antalya - I think address is Büyük Liman Mevkii, Liman Mah. Liman 2 Cad No. 40

The agent in Datca has office is on the habour front, right next to "The Yacht Club" restaurant. He keeps a sign on the waterfront outside his office.

Agent's stamp on paperwork is Knidos Yachting, Ahmet Ozturk, gsm +90 532 066 0380 and GSM +90 532 416 55 06. Amount collected in dues on transit log says 0 so clearly a rip off.

I think the address is Iskele Mah. YAT Oimani No 4/A

The questionably police person was a female who worked out of the waterfront office, aged around 40.

I enjoyed my stay in Turkey and was generally impressed by the kindness and welcoming I received from the locals.

Some of the cruising areas are stunning.

The officialdom around Transit Logs, Blue cards (up to €20 for pump outs), organizing phone Sims, the blocking of internet sites such as Wikipedia etc does reflected poorly on the country.
anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
logs, Turkey