Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 20:54   #1

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean
Hard Stand options Sicily or south Italy toe of the boot

Hello CF, planning to sail from Antalya across to Sicily Aug-Oct, as usual the big decision is where to store the boat next. We usually choose hard stand. Does anyone have experience of hard stand in Sicily or southern Italy near Sicily ie toe of the boot eg Crotone? Previously the boat has been on hard stand at Dubovnik, Bodrum and currently at Antalya. If anyone would like info/prices re those destinations let me know. Cheers, Dean
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:17   #2

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Re: Hard Stand options Sicily or south Italy toe of the boot

The Porto Turistico Marina di Ragusa in Sicily offers hard standing in their boat yard. I believe they do noy allow you to stay aboard though nor work on the boat.

The Manoel Island Yacht Yard in Malta also offers hard standing and you can stay aboard and work on the boat yourself.
Old 10-05-2017, 16:04   #3

Hard Stand options Sicily or south Italy toe of the boot

hi, my home port is Catania, Sicily east coast. Obiouvsly we have facilities to haul and hard stand.
My forty footers was on hard stand this winter for 150€ month, haul and launch for 400-600€, taxes not included.
I have not heard of someone asking for live aboard during hard stand, but usually it is no problem to work inside your boat, just ask for that, I think the stay is allowed in office hours inside the property, however the port is really 200 meters from the city center and well served (for southern Italy standards...)in terms of public transportations
Sadly It is forbidden to work yourself outside the boat for safety?!? and environmental issues... if you need antifouling on a 43 footers you can expect 500-800€ on top of hauling, stay and launching prices aforementioned.
Any questions just message privately or email me
marcofailla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 09:33   #4

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcofailla View Post
hi, my home port is Catania, Sicily east coast. Obiouvsly we have facilities to haul and hard stand.
My forty footers was on hard stand this winter for 150€ month, haul and launch for 400-600€, taxes not included.
I have not heard of someone asking for live aboard during hard stand, but usually it is no problem to work inside your boat, just ask for that, I think the stay is allowed in office hours inside the property, however the port is really 200 meters from the city center and well served (for southern Italy standards...)in terms of public transportations
Sadly It is forbidden to work yourself outside the boat for safety?!? and environmental issues... if you need antifouling on a 43 footers you can expect 500-800€ on top of hauling, stay and launching prices aforementioned.
Any questions just message privately or email me
Thanks marcofailla, thanks for that info, we were planning to leave the boat in storage on the hard stand. Once it is lifted out we would stay nearby in the town and I like the look of Catania. I will message you for more info
Old 05-05-2023, 18:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDean View Post
Hello CF, planning to sail from Antalya across to Sicily Aug-Oct, as usual the big decision is where to store the boat next. We usually choose hard stand. Does anyone have experience of hard stand in Sicily or southern Italy near Sicily ie toe of the boot eg Crotone? Previously the boat has been on hard stand at Dubovnik, Bodrum and currently at Antalya. If anyone would like info/prices re those destinations let me know. Cheers, Dean
Hello Dean - wondering if you could share your experience with me regarding the outcome of your above request!! We are looking at same options for our 15m mono hull for this year in South Sicily - also coming from Preveza where we have been for last few years.
OzRobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 20:39   #6

Hey OzRobG, how funny, in our 2017 trip from Antalya we ripped #2 just before leaving Crete and then the weather window did not line up with our timing across to southern Sicily, so we changed plans, headed north and ended up in Preveza (Ionion yard), loved the Ionion so much have been there since. Cheers, Dean
Old 05-05-2023, 21:01   #7

Hello Dean,
Wow - can totally understand your love of the Ionian Islands. Must admit feeling a bit unsure of this next leg as hardstand options seem very far & few between!! The reply you had relating to Catania seems interesting so will try to follow up on that as well as Licata. Obviously not the same hardstand options that are available in Greece!!
Happy sailing
Cheers Robyn
OzRobG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Italy, Sicily