Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2014, 00:20   #466

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

I believe through my contacts in Athens and on naxos they wont be collecting it this yr the coast guard have stated they are not tax collectors but collectors of port fees only but what i have been told is that they will be vigorously collecting port taxes this yr even if it is a council run marina on an island etc and the prob they have now is how to set up the tax system to collect cruising this tax as my understanding of what i am being told is that whether you are non eu or a eu person other than Greek is how to give you a tax Number
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 06:25   #467
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
There was an article on turkish paper stating that this tax has been postponed indefinately. Couple of friends went to Rhodes , they said there is neither any tax nor a fine, everything as usual so far..They've also talked to some authorities there and they said that at least for 2014 this law won't be applied.
Nevertheless, this is Greece, you never know..
Cheers
Yeloya
The tax is not postponed indefinitely, it's postponed until the collection methods are properly set up.

In addition, a law is being drafted to replace the old 30 day port police reporting routines and simplify fishing and charter regulations. The Cruising Association expect to see a (Greek!) copy of this replacement law when it is voted on - which should be sometime soon.

Our website news item on the Greek tax will be updated as soon as we hear more.

JimB, for the Cruising Association (cruising.org.uk/)
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 16:02   #468
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
The tax is not postponed indefinitely, it's postponed until the collection methods are properly set up.

In addition, a law is being drafted to replace the old 30 day port police reporting routines and simplify fishing and charter regulations. The Cruising Association expect to see a (Greek!) copy of this replacement law when it is voted on - which should be sometime soon.

Our website news item on the Greek tax will be updated as soon as we hear more.

JimB, for the Cruising Association (cruising.org.uk/)
So you are saying that the law passed before making sure that they have the system to impose and execute it. Well, this is possible in Greece.. However, It can also be a very good excuse to IMF and other fund providers (we passed the law, but we unfortunately don't have the system yet.. nothing to worry..)

I've said the very first day that this law will not be applied and if ever, definately not the way it is intended today. No way..
Meanwhile, the economy seems to be improving there; if it really goes that way, then you can forget all about this thread.

I am not saying this as a member of any association but simply as someone who was born, grew up in and lived long enough in this geography..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 18:42   #469
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
So you are saying that the law passed before making sure that they have the system to impose and execute it. Well, this is possible in Greece.. However, It can also be a very good excuse to IMF and other fund providers (we passed the law, but we unfortunately don't have the system yet.. nothing to worry..)

I've said the very first day that this law will not be applied and if ever, definately not the way it is intended today. No way..
Meanwhile, the economy seems to be improving there; if it really goes that way, then you can forget all about this thread.

I am not saying this as a member of any association but simply as someone who was born, grew up in and lived long enough in this geography..

Cheers

Yeloya

It's a very common thing in many countries to pass the legislative framework for a new tax, but to then delay implementation until practical details are worked out. Greece is no different to other European countries in that regard. Many laws sit awaiting signing into practice even though they have been voted through parliament

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 26-03-2014, 22:36   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It's a very common thing in many countries to pass the legislative framework for a new tax, but to then delay implementation until practical details are worked out. Greece is no different to other European countries in that regard. Many laws sit awaiting signing into practice even though they have been voted through parliament

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Although some countries are sensible enough to pass the legislation and set a start date that is realistic. However I Greece's hand was forced, but I do wonder if without external pressure the planned date and actual implementation would be any different to what we see now
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 02:35   #471
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Although some countries are sensible enough to pass the legislation and set a start date that is realistic. However I Greece's hand was forced, but I do wonder if without external pressure the planned date and actual implementation would be any different to what we see now

I very much doubt that this specific tax was recommended by the Troika.

But since Greece must solve its tax take issues it not surprising that every avenue is being explored. The effect on ordinary citizens is far greater then a few yachties

Dave
Old 15-04-2014, 00:24   #472

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

This topic has gone very quite!

No news is good news?
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 00:49   #473

I will be in Corfu tomorrow. I will get the boat ready for sailing and perhaps on the weekend I will have a sail.

I might go into the coast guard office and get my dekpa stamped. I will not ask about the tax.
Old 15-04-2014, 08:57   #474

Dave your right this was not a troika a recommend tax this law was first drafted in 2008 for reason to long to explain on here ( a pub job ) the new cruising tax will not be enforced this yr due to the mechanism for collection are not in place ( one reason govt reduced staff ie sacked a lot now unions involved ) but I do believe and have said this before you will find this yr port police will be collecting port fees more vigorously and poros is a good example of this and syros ( finikas )
Old 15-04-2014, 09:02   #475

Oh and just a foot note there are rumblings that all vessels must have a valid seaworthy certificate for Greek waters
Old 16-04-2014, 02:00   #476

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Oh and just a foot note there are rumblings that all vessels must have a valid seaworthy certificate for Greek waters
Somethng else that is never going to come into fruition?

I see your boat is now located in Rome?!? So you have made the move away from beloved Greek Waters?
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 03:48   #477

Yes here in Rome or Ostia let me tell you it ain't cheap here either they have the same mentality as some of the Greeks when it comes to repairs or work to be done every thing costs 1000 or 20000 euros and cash is what they want luckily will be only here for another 42 days
Old 16-04-2014, 07:53   #478

Boat: between boats

Brief update on my experiences on returning to Preveza last week.

Attended customs and port police on Friday -

Customs - you must go to port police and get crew list
PP - i cannot give you crew list without transit log so go back to customs
Customs - I cannot give you transit log without crew list. Calls PP argument ensues in greek which ends with go back to PP and they will give you crew list but they are closed now so do that on Monday.

Monday start early and go PP get crew list, then customs get transit log, back to PP get entry declaration and tax bill to then take to tax office and pay my tax bill, then back to PP and get transit log stamped. Free to relaunch and leave.

So much fun.

At each office i asked about the cruising tax to which i got three "cruising what?" and one seemingly knowledgable PP captain who said it only applied to EU boats and that as non EU i should continue to pay the transit log only. He said they would shortly begin requiring Eu boats to pay the new tax when they issue dekpa but was a bit vague as to exactly when that would be....

so clear as mud eh?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 11:12   #479

Barra you have me totally confused it is you who must give and provide crew list. It doesn't matter weather your a eu or non eu boat it is the skipper/ owner responsibility to provide crew list where by the propitiate authority will stamp I would be interested in which port you checked in and no cruising tax will be collected this yr just transit/ depka fees
Old 16-04-2014, 11:50   #480
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Barra, so what your saying is "Business as Usual" Sounds great to me. I only hope that there are still a lot of cruisers who stay out of Greece because of this tax in order to have more space for us.

As an FYI, I never was charged the transit log tax yet. It will be around 20 months when I return to get mine re-issued. I wonder if they are saving it up or have forgotten about it.

Tags
Greece, water, yacht