Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2013, 08:42   #46

Re: Greek Tax !!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
The law was passed yesterday - guess we'll be leaving!
I'm sure they'll miss you.

Are you leaving on principle, or are there other places as beautiful and that are less costly?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 09:08   #47

Been waiting for this info,where did you get latest update of the bill past?
wmcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 11:10   #48
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post

I think there are quite a few tavernas and other businesses - especially on the islands - that would disagree with you. I could list dozens of them in both the Aegean and Ionian that would probably not survive without the trade from cruisers.

Also, jumping country is a real option, which is why the association of Greek marina owners is strongly opposed to the measure, since they fear that Turkish marinas (which have advantageous tax treatment compared with Greek ones) will be the ultimate beneficiaries.

It's true that Greece has always been a cheap country to cruise (which is why so many cruisers go there), but then it's rare that you find anything in a Greek harbour other than some (often) rusty mooring rings or bollards to tie up to - and sometimes not many of them - plus a patch of mud in which to drop your anchor. Other countries which one might consider competitors for cruisers' custom frequently offer laid moorings, harbour staff to take lines, toilets, electricity and water - at a price, of course.

Rather than trying to impose a new tax, a better solution is radical reform of the management of those Greek harbours used by cruisers. Retire all the superfluous port police staff and employ a polyglot youngster for each harbour, equipped with a book of receipts and a bumbag, to help each yacht as it arrives and collect a standard charge. From my observation of Greek harbours, the revenue uplift would be massive and the impost would not be resented if it were appropriate to the facilities provided.
The solution to greeces problems involves firing a whole load of people probably with families. I smell a Strike

Dave
Old 21-11-2013, 14:02   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The solution to greeces problems involves firing a whole load of people probably with families. I smell a Strike

Dave
What's more likely, Greece firing people or the EU commission ending their monthly road trip to Strasbourg?
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 14:05   #50

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
As far as I understand it the costs for boats over 12m will be 100 euros per meter for the total length of the boat.
It is not 400 euros plus 100 euros for ever meter over... Those bowsprits could cost a few people several hundred euros.
can you show us where you get this understanding from?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 15:50   #51

IT has passed through parliament
my summary:
  1. 7 - 8 m/year 200€
  2. 8 -10 m/year 300€
  3. 10-12 m/year 400€
  4. > 12 m/year 100€/m starting from 1st meter so: 13m = 1300€/year
  5. or 10€/m/month

30% discount if vessel is based in country
Law is here (end of page 5) http://perivolos.gr/img/e84848120190...ISTHEN_EAS.pdf

or for G translation : ÌåôÜöñáóç Google

Hope this ends all confusion (and starts some other debates)
Regards
Nick
nickmilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 20:04   #52

Thanks Nick

So 12.00M 400 euro, 12.01m 1200 euro it is. It defies all logic but there you have it.

Start of november just rumours of changes to start of Jan tax in place - amazingly quick too. If only Greece had been that efficient in the past - maybe they wouldnt be in the mess they are.

Not much i can do about it since my boat is already there I guess and i didnt read anything about the usual transition periods or anything.

So over all the red tape in the EU. With 1 months warning this borders on a retrospective tax.
Old 21-11-2013, 23:29   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post

Are you leaving on principle, or are there other places as beautiful and that are less costly?
We were leaving any way, our intention was always to circumnavigate the world not the Greek islands! We've had five years here, seen most of the coastlines and it is a beautiful country worth seeing. We will have to stay until April as we have visitors coming and flights to the UK booked. That will set us back €600!

Let's hope the law isn't implemented, like so many others here. See what happens as the 1st January approaches.
Old 21-11-2013, 23:31   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Thanks Nick

So 12.00M 400 euro, 12.01m 1200 euro it is. It defies all logic but there you have it.

Start of november just rumours of changes to start of Jan tax in place - amazingly quick too. If only Greece had been that efficient in the past - maybe they wouldnt be in the mess they are.

Not much i can do about it since my boat is already there I guess and i didnt read anything about the usual transition periods or anything.

So over all the red tape in the EU. With 1 months warning this borders on a retrospective tax.
Sorry to be pedantic but that 12.01m would possibly cost €1300. Part metres will be charged at the full metre rate. This is Greece, they won't give change!
Old 21-11-2013, 23:49   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Sorry to be pedantic but that 12.01m would possibly cost €1300. Part metres will be charged at the full metre rate. This is Greece, they won't give change!
Well lets hope you are wrong! or i may wind up in the brigg

bring on turkey
Old 22-11-2013, 00:06   #56

Goodbye Greece!

I would cop a fair tax but if 20cm is going to cost me 800 extra then f..k the Greeks.

I was planning to move from Corfu next season but was not sure whether to stay in Greece or not.
Old 22-11-2013, 00:10   #57

Yes no one likes taxes but when your in Greece's position your going to get it where ever you can. We are Turkey now and are planning on heading west next spring so we'll have to figure out how to get thru Greece without paying...ideas?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 00:19   #58

I would perhaps reluctantly cop the 1200 or 1300 tax for my 12.2m yacht if it was more fairly implemented, I.e. the extra 20cm was costing only a couple of hundred more, but the huge penalty just gets me annoyed.
Old 22-11-2013, 01:59   #59

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmilon View Post
IT has passed through parliament
my summary:
  1. 7 - 8 m/year 200€
  2. 8 -10 m/year 300€
  3. 10-12 m/year 400€
  4. > 12 m/year 100€/m starting from 1st meter so: 13m = 1300€/year
  5. or 10€/m/month

30% discount if vessel is based in country
Law is here (end of page 5) http://perivolos.gr/img/e84848120190...ISTHEN_EAS.pdf

or for G translation : ÌåôÜöñáóç Google

Hope this ends all confusion (and starts some other debates)
Regards
Nick
So for our 16 mtr boat it would cost 10 euro per meter per month, or 160 euro for one month or 480 euro for 3 months. That is not exorbitant as compared to the cruising tax in Croatia others report they have paid there. Or what others have reportedly paid for the privilege to cruise Montenegro. This new Greek tax will not change any of our Med cruising plans.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 02:01   #60

Boat: Bavaria 37

Latest news I have :
Marine Circulation Taxes | Greece.GreekReporter.com Latest News from Greece

It is not new, but shortly and easy to understand . we have to wait for knowing if a new law will pass or not...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, water, yacht