Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 13:26   #1

Greek Islands in the Summer

We are hoping to charter somewhere in the Greek Islands during the early part of August. I've been reading a lot about the Meltemi and was hoping to get some useful information on where best to sail ....... the Ionian, Saronic, Sporades, Cyclades or Docdecanese ..... what are your thoughts please. We have chartered in Croatia, Netherlands and the Canaries. I love gentle sails but my partner prefers a little more adventure!
shrimpydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 13:36   #2

Re: Greek Islands in the Summer

Well in the Cyclades during the middle to later summer when the winds are blowing it can give you some exciting sailing. Depending on where you are chartering from this can be a delight or a pain in the butt when you have to head back to the base. Wonderful anchorages by the way. If you like it easy peasy then consider the Ionian Sea, not much wind but you can get in some afternoon sails with the normal seabreeze. Pretty area for sure.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 13:49   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Hello Shrimpydancer and welcome to the CF forum. Since your new you may not have used the google search feature before but you may want to with this subject because it was discussed several times before. At the top of the screen hit the search tab and choose the second option. I'd suggest "greek Greece charter meltemi" as search parameters. It's not a problem to start a new thread but there's a lot of good input from the past. Have fun, we love the Cyclades and will be there in June and July.

I guess my only actual suggestion is that if your sailors that get nervous with 25 knots of wind, maybe follow Roberts advise and try the Ionian's. It can blow 30 to 40 knots frequently. But it really is still sailable, you just need to keep your head straight.
Old 19-01-2015, 14:13   #4

Sailing the Ionian is certainly much more leisurely. The problem with the Ionian is that it doesn't look or feel like the picture postcard Greek islands with the towns of white painted buildings. The anchorages tend to get very full and if the "Sailing Holidays flotilla" gets to a destination before you then you could be out of luck trying to get a spot, and they will beat you if you enjoy sailing because they'll be motoring at full speed whilst you're still at anchor waiting for the afternoon wind to kick in.

My first solo sail of my boat was 6 weeks in the Aegean (ok I had passengers for 2 weeks) and the Meltemi was fun. Going south was easy as you run with it, beating back up north was no so. I had a couple of days where I had to stay at anchor and I know sometimes people do get stuck for quite a few days at a time. If you get south of your departure point, then you need to consider 25knts on the nose as good weather to head back north.

The key to the Aegean is planning your journey around the meltemi, not a non-sailors wish list.

But as already stated, if 25knts is too much, the Ionian is a better choice. Just stay away from German and English flagged vessels unless you enjoy seeing wrinkly old retirees getting an all over tan
Old 19-01-2015, 14:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Sailing the Ionian is certainly much more leisurely. The problem with the Ionian is that it doesn't look or feel like the picture postcard Greek islands with the towns of white painted buildings. The anchorages tend to get very full and if the "Sailing Holidays flotilla" gets to a destination before you then you could be out of luck trying to get a spot, and they will beat you if you enjoy sailing because they'll be motoring at full speed whilst you're still at anchor waiting for the afternoon wind to kick in.

My first solo sail of my boat was 6 weeks in the Aegean (ok I had passengers for 2 weeks) and the Meltemi was fun. Going south was easy as you run with it, beating back up north was no so. I had a couple of days where I had to stay at anchor and I know sometimes people do get stuck for quite a few days at a time. If you get south of your departure point, then you need to consider 25knts on the nose as good weather to head back north.

The key to the Aegean is planning your journey around the meltemi, not a non-sailors wish list.

But as already stated, if 25knts is too much, the Ionian is a better choice. Just stay away from German and English flagged vessels unless you enjoy seeing wrinkly old retirees getting an all over tan
We must have been there at the same time, LOL
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 15:45   #6

Boat: between boats

Quote:

Ive been thinking for awhile now a mobile app that tracks the charter fleets so you can be where they arent wouldnt be that hard to gather the info for from the fleet radio bases and it sure would be valuable to the rest of us.

We were tied up to an olive tree in meganisi last year in a lovely small cove with 3 other boats. Then the first sunsail boat arrived (the host boat with all the flags so its flock can find it) Long story short we had eight boats rafted up alongside us on port and 6 on starboard. Beach BBQ to the wee hours off our stern and the bit that gets me is they didnt even invite the three boats that were already there and who had to suffer through the music and the screeching. Nidri quay was quieter.

And the worst thing is theres now 14 new skippers out there looking for a charter this year who think thats how its done in the ionion.

I was datdreaming of the ionion again for this year but thanks for reminding me to stick to the high wind cyclades
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 16:19   #7

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I prefer the Mediterranean in the winter. It's too hot in the summer. Kusadasi last December:

Old 19-01-2015, 16:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Ive been thinking for awhile now a mobile app that tracks the charter fleets so you can be where they arent wouldnt be that hard to gather the info for from the fleet radio bases and it sure would be valuable to the rest of us.

We were tied up to an olive tree in meganisi last year in a lovely small cove with 3 other boats. Then the first sunsail boat arrived (the host boat with all the flags so its flock can find it) Long story short we had eight boats rafted up alongside us on port and 6 on starboard. Beach BBQ to the wee hours off our stern and the bit that gets me is they didnt even invite the three boats that were already there and who had to suffer through the music and the screeching. Nidri quay was quieter.

And the worst thing is theres now 14 new skippers out there looking for a charter this year who think thats how its done in the ionion.

I was datdreaming of the ionion again for this year but thanks for reminding me to stick to the high wind cyclades
I was thinking of going to their websites looking for the flotilla itineraries in the hope they would tell me where to not be.

I've seen the floatillas motoring at good speed even when the wind was nice for a sail, but they motored because it was still faster.

This is the 3rd winter my boat has been based in the Ionian. No more, please June I'm heading west
Old 19-01-2015, 20:20   #9
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
The problem with the Ionian is that it doesn't look or feel like the picture postcard Greek islands with the towns of white painted buildings.

Just stay away from German and English flagged vessels unless you enjoy seeing wrinkly old retirees getting an all over tan
Very good observation on the image of sailing Greece and the difference between the Ionian and Cyclades. Also of course the Germans (I don't include English in that crowd though).
Old 19-01-2015, 23:31   #10

Boat: jeanneau sunfast 20

Do the ionian. But if you get choice avoide July august and September. No wind and lots of tourists

Sent from my D2403 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
20ft cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 00:22   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

The Saronic Gulf is a lovely area, lots of interesting little spots and despite being out of the Meltemi there is still some good sailing to be had. Highlights include Aegina, Angistri, Epidavros, Methana, Poros, Hydra, Ermioni, Dhokos, Spetses......... There are a few flotillas in the area but nothing compared to the number in the Ionian.
Old 20-01-2015, 03:22   #12

Hi
I could mention north Aegean, there is variety of winds, ( I sailed last July in 40 knots wind speed) but generally is f 5 Maximum.Lemnos could be crowded however Thasos and Samothraki are quiet and easy to berth a boat. Charter options available in Kavala ( mainland) and Thasos as well. Also a choice of Chalkidiki in the list
Good luck whatever you decide

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
seafarer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 10:38   #13

I've experienced the Cyclades in August and it was perfect. Not too windy not too calm... we had that taste of adventure!
Bobsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 11:04   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

thanks for these thoughts. we are in tunisia and headed to albania for a while then over to greece for about 3 months, probably late july, aug and sept into oct before heading to turkey to winter over next year. obviously watching the schengren days.

currently planning using heikell and have my thoughts on the ionian and northern cyclades. still a lot of planning and hope to get to rhodes before heading north a bit as no idea which port we will winter over in.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 17:57   #15

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
thanks for these thoughts. we are in tunisia and headed to albania for a while then over to greece for about 3 months, probably late july, aug and sept into oct before heading to turkey to winter over next year. obviously watching the schengren days.

currently planning using heikell and have my thoughts on the ionian and northern cyclades. still a lot of planning and hope to get to rhodes before heading north a bit as no idea which port we will winter over in.
Rhodes UUUGGGHHH!@!!!

Only greek island that hasnt agreed with me. Clear in/out at kos or better yet simi if its open for summer trade.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greek islands