Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2015, 08:51   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post

Just a quick one. What is the latest clearing in procedure at Corfu. We are non EU boat Non EU crew arriving from Albania? Do you still need to visit Port Police?
Usual process is Passport Police (with passports, crew list, registration certificate and insurance) they stamp you in, stamp the crew list, copy everything and then you visit customs (again with everything) for your Transit Log (Euro 30 for us last month), and finally you go to the Port Police for your dues, outbound port details etc... The dues are calculated LOA x 0.47 p.er 24 hour day plus VAT, so often you pay for 2 days eg. you arrive at 1400 and plan to leave at 1100, equals 2 days i.e. 0000-2400 is 1 day.

Still a lovely place to cruise regardless of all the issues.

PT
touchngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 10:18   #182

Re: Greece votes "NO" - impact on cruisers

Spent 2 weeks in Greece ( Ionian) , atm was working with no limit for the foreigners , some shops was not accepts credit card but at that moment it is not a problem . So, do not worry go to the Greece if you like it

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 03:10   #183

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Don't forget to allow for the vat increase from 13% to 23% as of now
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 13:16   #184

Boat: Comet 41s

Everything normal on Greece: The Greek parliament has approved the EC measures to the new bailout (with 36 Syriza parliament members voting against or abstaining) and that joke about a referendum (with a no backed by Tsipras) costed Greece about 30 billion Euros (the difference estimated by Reuters between the first proposed measures and the new ones).

if I was Greek I would want Tsipras in jail for incredibly bad management of state affairs but curiously the Greeks don't see it that way and Tsipras is still very popular. I can understand something about economics but decidedly I don't understand nothing about politics, at least Greek politics and Greek politician.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 20:59   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

if I was Greek I would want Tsipras in jail for incredibly bad management of state affairs but curiously the Greeks don't see it that way and Tsipras is still very popular. I can understand something about economics but decidedly I don't understand nothing about politics, at least Greek politics and Greek politician.
If Greece jailed every politician who badly managed state affairs, then the jails would be overcrowded.

Great meeting the two of you, thanks for the beers and food

I went into the port police office yesterday to get my document stamped for the first time this year. The guy said I don't need to do that again this year whilst cruising around Greece.

The rules or the port police's interpretation of the rules change every year. Perhaps budget cuts have simplified cruising. Perhaps by next year, EU boats based in Greece will not need that form and the port police's stamps will have gone on early retirement

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-07-2015, 21:41   #186

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

I think it's going to be a interesting situation in Greece over the next 2 months with the loan repayments that Greece has to repay back and the reforms that are required by them to implement , and one area that interests me is the ferry's that service the islands as it is law that the islands be serviced , as part of this the Greek government has subsided the operators and will they continue to do so ? I have been in touch with friends on Naxos who run the small Cyclades ferries and they are fearing the worse
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 03:33   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

Great meeting the two of you, thanks for the beers and food

I went into the port police office yesterday to get my document stamped for the first time this year. The guy said I don't need to do that again this year whilst cruising around Greece.

The rules or the port police's interpretation of the rules change every year. Perhaps budget cuts have simplified cruising. Perhaps by next year, EU boats based in Greece will not need that form and the port police's stamps will have gone on early retirement

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Likewise, I mean it was a pleasure to meet you. Next time beer is on you

Yes they said that to me also I mean only a stamp when going in and a stamp when going out with a total cost of 15 euros.

They had already said that to me last year but many ports did not seem to care and demanded the papers anyway. I hope this year is less confusing.
Old 24-07-2015, 03:41   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
I think it's going to be a interesting situation in Greece over the next 2 months with the loan repayments that Greece has to repay back and the reforms that are required by them to implement , and one area that interests me is the ferry's that service the islands as it is law that the islands be serviced , as part of this the Greek government has subsided the operators and will they continue to do so ? I have been in touch with friends on Naxos who run the small Cyclades ferries and they are fearing the worse
That is one of the biggest problems with Greece: The infraestructures with the Islands, including ferries are heavily subsidised and to aggravate that they pay on the islands a lo less VAT than the others on the continent.

The VAT on the Islands was one of the things raised by the EC and I believe they will have to find a new balance, that will also include the subsidised ferries at least in what regards frequency and occupation rate. The taxpayers are paying for a lot of ferries that most of the time go almost empty.
Old 24-07-2015, 05:34   #189

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
The taxpayers are paying for a lot of ferries that most of the time go almost empty.
I would like to see free-er market. It would be interesting to see which ferries need to be run based on demand and how often they'd run.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 11:08   #190

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
The taxpayers are paying for a lot of ferries that most of the time go almost empty.

I think the problem that in fact the Greek taxpayers are NOT paying these costs. The German taxpayer is paying.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 15:57   #191
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I think the problem that in fact the Greek taxpayers are NOT paying these costs. The German taxpayer is paying.
Tax payer is not in the Greek dictionary..ha ha ha
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 16:13   #192

That's it Transmitterdan. Germany doesn't want to support any country that doesn't make as much wealth as them. The truth is that it's Germany that wants out of the EU community. Furthermore they will probably want to get rid of the poor in their own country because they don't contribute to the profit machine.

One of the responsibilities of a community is to defend and support the poor no matter how incompetent they might be. Let's make a distinction between the ordinary Greek and those people who put profit before duty.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 17:28   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
That's it Transmitterdan. Germany doesn't want to support any country that doesn't make as much wealth as them. The truth is that it's Germany that wants out of the EU community. Furthermore they will probably want to get rid of the poor in their own country because they don't contribute to the profit machine.

One of the responsibilities of a community is to defend and support the poor no matter how incompetent they might be. Let's make a distinction between the ordinary Greek and those people who put profit before duty.
Hum, it seems to me that in what regards the Greeks the incompetents are not the poor but several generations of Greek politicians that for winning elections and stay in power made impossible promises that to be maintained lead to a huge deficit and to spending a lot more money than what the country had.

Among the worse in what regards that is the actual leftist (communist) government that trying to maintain impossible promises not only made the Greece economic situation a lot worse as due to the international lack of credit and confidence (well justified) lead to much harsher demands from the creditors to a new bail out. Only that costed an extra 30 billions to the Greek people.

Not a bright work from the communists protecting the poor that will have (as all the others) to make an added share of sacrifices due to the incompetence of rich leftist politicians.
Old 25-07-2015, 19:20   #194

Polux, I'm not so knowledgeable about the history of Greek politics and so am happy to stand corrected.

I thought it was the extreme right politicians who conspired with Goldman Sachs ? to cover up the extreme level of debt and so continue to receive funds from the banks.

The current leftist government has only been in power for a year and has never been in power before.

I'm sure that the capitalists who lobbied the right wing governments to manipulate the system would be proud to call themselves ultra right wing.

When you use the word 'communist', you want me to associate this government with something that I think you despise and that you assume that everyone else does. It's a slur word. It's true that the 'communists' did some terrible things in Greece many years ago but I certainly would not associate that history with what is happening at the moment.

Do you agree:
that the EU should purge itself of all poor performing countries?
that all foreign aid should be stopped?
that social welfare is an unnecessary drain on the economy?
that people who make money by any means possible deserve to keep it for themselves?

These are what I call ultra-right wing views and oddly enough are probably the views of the corrupt people who brought Greece to its knees in the first place.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 19:35   #195

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post

I'm not Greek.
Does your view of people who won't work to support themselves include the rest of the world? If so, does that mean you want me to work harder to give my life's energy to those who only want to be on vacation all the time?

I want to be on vacation, but feel the responsibility to take care of me and my family first.

Edit:
The ultra left is promising free stuff and the ultra right is grabbing everything it can while the getting is good.
Everyman in the middle and especially the future generations are getting raped.
Kinda like where the USA is headed.

I know this is a PC and reality free zone, but if any of you can't see it, you heard of it here first.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, cruiser, cruise