Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2011, 06:23   #1

Gocek - Ideas ?

Hi, I'm skippering a yacht from Gocek on the Bay of Fethiye over the summer.

Does anyone have any must sees? any must use anchorages? Good restaurants? Brilliant beaches?

Thanks

Simon
st599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 07:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
lots of really good places around gocek too numerous to mention.

but you will need long lines to tie to the coconut trees as most bays too deep to anchor and swing and very gusty.

also you want to get in early before the gulets arrive en mass at 5pm,and have some fenders handy.

favourite anchorage though further south has got to be "hole in the wall on se side of kekova island.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 12:51   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'm with Atolls suggestion.
Head east on a cruise towards Kekova - Ukagiz bay / it's village / four retaurants / Mayor Ibrahim (runs one restaurant) and the shoreside / underwater / local castle all blow most people away - and plenty of places to see on the way there and on the way back. You can even slide into one of the closer Greek islands usually with no issues.
The fishhooked shaped bay Atoll mentions is Karaloz Bay on Kekova Island. Go look on Google Earth and the pictures may give you a good idea of what to expect.
FWIW there is nothing but goats and sheep and a few donkeys on Kekova Island so if you anchor for a night in Karaloz make sure you are 100% self sufficient. It is magically calm in there whatever happens outside.
BTW there is a small store in Ukagiz where you can top up grog and grub.
And if you do use one of the retaurants there or out under Kale Koy (the castle) you can hang on their rickety jetties for the night as a bonus.
Enjoy - I'm jealous.
JOHN
Old 27-01-2011, 13:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
in kekova roads you can tie up to the dock and have power for free if you use the restaurant,our favourite is ibrahim.
very sheltered in there,also lots of fresh water springs in the bay,look for blue paint on the rocks,then head uphill from there,good for laundry and cooling off when it is very hot,water ice cold from the mountains.

also wild originum on plateau/meadow in north part of the bay go and pick you own herbs.................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 02:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Hi St599,

First of all, in Göcek and Fethiye , there are many beatiful bays and restaurants. Most of the time the name of the bays on the map and the ones tha the locals use are different, so I'll give you the coordinates..Amongs many others, I can recommend Turunçpınarı (36.36.49 N, 29.03.15 W)
best retaurant around though pricey.. nice (steepy) walk up to the hill, excellent wiew from the spring under orange trees. Mooring lines on the jetty, electricity, water, very frinedly staff.

Soğuksu,(36.33.48 N, 29.04.57 W)
No jetty, one restaurant up to the hill. (Ali) If you come earlier, there is a smal bay on the left side of the bay just for one or two boats. The sea water never exceeds 20 C there (26-27 C elsewhere) because of under water spring. (Soğuksu means cold water)
Rest is not exceptional but an excellent view, reasonable prices.. The jetty is very smal and always busy. So, you will have to anchor and take a dingy.

Sarsala (36.40.31 N,28.51.28 W) Electricity in the jetty, no water, decent restaurant. Walking distance to roman bath ruins.

For Göçek getting water is a big hassle. Very hot and humid in summer, light winds..
It can also be quite crowde in July-August with motor yatch and gulets. It's strictly forbidden to get a rope from the trees (there are special metal hooks on the shore in most places)
The other places recommended by Atoll and Swagman are in Kekova 100 nm south east of Göçek and is definately worth a trip. On the way to Kekova you can stop in Kalkan.There is a small marina run by the municipality, couple of cosy rest and bars on the shore. Water and electricty is available at reasonable cost.

Have fun...

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:19   #6

Thanks all.

Have bought: Wiley::Turkey Cruising Companion: A yachtsman's pilot and crusing guide to the ports and harbours from the Çesme peninsula to Antalya

Seems to cover all the places you suggest. looking forward to it immensely.

Couple more questions:

1) It suggests you need a "Blue Card" to stock up on water and to operate any pump-out facilities. I can't find the list of locations on the internet - anyone have a link?

2) It has a listing of Bays in Skopea Limani, Wall Bay sounds good for a short first afternoon cruise. It has the ruins of Cleopatra's bathing hut - is it OK to snorkel here?
st599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:19   #7

Boat: Beneteau 50
Send a message via Skype™ to SY DELMA
Re: Gocek - Ideas ?

Also very useful: Turkish Waters & Cyprus Pilot,Rod Heikell,Nautical Books and nautical Charts from Imray, Admiralty Charts and pilots for sailing navigation from Imray,Turkish Waters pilot,rod heikell, www.imrayturkey.com

1) There are 6 marinas in Gocek:
MarinTurk Village Port Göcek Village Port
MarinTurk Exclusive Göcek Exclusive
Dogus Marina Gocek Dmarin Göcek (former Port Gocek)
Club marina Turkey Club Marina
Municipal marina Gcek Belediyesi Resmi WEB Sitesi - Mula
Skopea marina has no website, but try Marinas in Gocek
I suggest some of them has pump-out facilities.

2) Yes, Wall bay is a good place. You can stay at anchor with long line ashore, but I prefer to stay alongside wooden jetty of restaurant. It is doubtful about good snorkelling here, but the bay is amazing. IMHO all the places in Skopea limani are spectacular - read Rod Heikell Turkish waters pilot. I suggest you visit some places outside Skopea limani and Fethiye bay - Gemiler Island just around SE cape of Fethiye bay, and Ekincik (pronounced Aekinchik), lying 22 nm NW from the bay (you can take a trip aboard local boat into Dalyan river to see Lycian tombs and ancient Kaunos.
SY DELMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:06   #8

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 43ft, Barlas
Send a message via MSN to OmerBarlas Send a message via Skype™ to OmerBarlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by st599 View Post
1) It suggests you need a "Blue Card" to stock up on water and to operate any pump-out facilities. I can't find the list of locations on the internet - anyone have a link?
For foreign flag yachts all you have to do is take a form from the marina that you register your transitlog in Turkey. The regulations are not clear yet, I will write more as soon as I get more information, but pumping out will be a great pain in the ass this summer around that region.
OmerBarlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 05:59   #9

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by st599 View Post
Thanks all.

2) It has a listing of Bays in Skopea Limani, Wall Bay sounds good for a short first afternoon cruise. It has the ruins of Cleopatra's bathing hut - is it OK to snorkel here?
If you are chartering, the blue card will already be onboard. If not you will get it when you apply for a Transit Log, where you have now to use an agent as its done online.

You can swim and snorkel anywhere in this area.

There is so much to see, and nowhere is bad. personally I am cautious about the restaurant in Tersane creek. Beware of the mozzys in Boynuz Buku. Cold/Fresh water bay is a must. Sarsala and Capi creek are favourites of most of my clients. Kalcan & Cas are fine but a long trip past the seven capes. Take advice on the return trip as you ned to be back at Karacoren by lunch time to avoid the lumpy seas.

If you go to Fethiye try to tie up at Yacht Clasic hotel, which is the local SunSail base. Much cheaper than either of the other two marinas even if you dont eat there, superb quality facilities and very good food. Call Banu on 05325856699 two days before you go.

Enjoy
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote