Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 04:43   #1

Location: Living and working in San Francisco until the next time we go cruising.
Boat: Sceptre 41 #12
Send a message via Skype™ to Solstice
Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Scotland

We're planning our summer cruising now and hope to visit the above countries. Our current thinking about the route is Amsterdam to Waddensee to Kiel Canal to Denmark to Sweden to Norway to Scotland.

The question to those who are experienced with these areas is what cruising guides or pilots do you consider "must have"? We already have the Reeds Nautical Almanac and the Imray Guide to the Netherlands, but we obviously need to expand our library.

Note: We are not planning to do the Gota Canal due to the expense involved, but we want to do the Caledonian.

Thanks in advance.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:33   #2

Boat: Mac 26x
Imrays are good charts for the East coast UK,for Scotland,a good place to look for information is the "Clyde cruisers" they have a cruising guide.I can ask my buddies who sail the Scottish west coast and have been doing so for about 30 years if you want info on a particular area.

the clyde cruisers association has a lot of usefull info on the west coast of Scotland,the area is truely beautifull and devoid of mass tourisim,the water is clean and not too cold as you get the mexican gulf warming up the west coast.

There are good marinas on the clyde,ive also stopped at Crobh marina(pronounced croove) and at Oban,generally the coast line is awe inspiring,places like Fingal cave,Iona etc.I love sailing out of Oban,past Ardnamurcan point(tides) up to tobermory,drop te hook and then head out to Eigg.

If you scuba dive,the diving is also excellent,gin clear water.lots of marine life and nothing that will eat you

whats your proposed route
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:11   #3

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
If your interested look up this site and contact them as they are there now and will be for a while and know personaly that they will for sure answer your questions if you don't find them on their site. Pilgrim's Progress
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:08   #4

Location: Living and working in San Francisco until the next time we go cruising.
Thanks, Bastonjock and Artful Dodger. I'm familiar with the Clyde Cruising Association and may indeed be purchasing some of their guides, but I'm not sure how much of the west coast of Scotland we'll be exploring. We may just go through the Caledonian Canal and then go back through. I was thinking that we might end up going through the Irish Sea to get south, but the skipper and others have been discouraging about that due to weather.

I've contacted Pilgrim for their recommendations on Scandanavia.

Is there anyone else out there who would like to chime in?
Old 12-12-2008, 16:37   #5

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Dear Solstice,

An interesting last post re the Caledonian Canal “We may just go through the Caledonian Canal and then go back through” Can you explain what you mean?

I find myself sounding like the Scottish Tourist Board when replying to threads with Scotland named, but can I add my full hearted support to Baston Jock views as to West Coast Scotland cruising, really amongst the most beautiful and interesting cruising in the world. (This from an east coast Scot).

Anyway to move on to your original post request as to books and Cruising guides. Scotland first. I have been away from Europe for many years so I am out of touch with cruising guides. However unless you wish to spend your winter months, reading and preparing All of your Scottish, Irish trip in detail ( in which case ebay uk has a myriad of booksellers which would have a lot of secondhand books at reasonable prices. However, if you wait until you arrive in Scotland; Moray Firth/ and Inverness, then there as well as Fort William, visit the local public library and the sports section and you will find not only charts which you can have photocopied, but normally a few cruising guides of the local area as well as those other areas you wish to cruise. Actually you will find the same in Ireland. They will photstat any relevant pages for you.

I lived and sailed in Denmark for some years nearly thirty years ago. Can tell you of some must see places, but am out of touch with up to date guides. Try the English edition of the Royal Danish Yacht Club http://kdy.dk/con50.php4. If you trawl the/their web you will find either in the Danish, Norwegian, Swedish associations/club some link I am sure for a guide in English of the whole area, which you can buy. They had one thirty years ago.

Finally, why don’t you outline a rough schedule and those of us with any information of specific areas can add our two pence worth.

Don’t forget to answer your Caledonian canal remark…. I am intrigued

Best regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 12:41   #6

Hi Solstice

i was at the chandlers yesterday and took a look at the book shelf,Imray have a lot of cruising guides for the North sea area,the definately cover the Netherlands so they may cover further up that coast line,

there is one other alternative to returning by way of the caledonian canal and that is the Forth and Clyde canal,this however requires having your mast stepped,the canal runs along the old antonine wall,there is plenty of info regarding max boat size etc from the Scottish tourist board.

Ive crossed the Irish sea a few times and never had any problems.
Old 15-12-2008, 12:24   #7

Boat: trident voyager 38 ft Calaloo
If you;re coming thru the Caledonian, why not go south, maybe thru the crinan,
then down Scotland , Ireland, and up the channel?

would make a great trip.
Brian and Jane, on Pilgrim can also help here with the channel.
RickF
S/V Calaloo
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 13:49   #8

Thanks, everyone, for your ideas. I'd never heard of the Crinan, but now I've looked it up, and it sounds very interesting. I'll also check out the Forth and Clyde canal, or is that the same as the Crinan? It sounds like it might be.

As for schedule, we'll be leaving our dock in Amsterdam on April 1st. Some friends from California wanted to meet up with us in Scotland in July, but we need to reconfirm that in light of the economic melt-down.

Mast-stepping isn't something we want to do, but more and more, I'm thinking that continuing down the west coast of Scotland (and then England and Wales) might be. I just have to convince the skipper. It looks on Google Earth like there are plenty of places to tuck in to wait for weather windows.

I've emailed Pilgrim but haven't heard back from them yet. Also, there's a nautical bookstore here in Amsterdam that we'll visit after the holidays. The idea of visiting the library in Scotland oddly hadn't occurred to be, but it's a great idea. Thanks!
Old 15-12-2008, 15:22   #9

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Hey!

I live in Sweden and have cruised the entire Swedish west coast, south coast and most of the east coast, most of Denmark and southern and southwestern Norway. Most of the pilot books are in the native languages though. You will do quite well with just charts as long as you keep to marinas. If you plan (and you really should) on cruising the Swedish archipelago and visit "natural harbors" and ancorages, there are some books you should have. Or you should know someone who knows the waters and can tip you off

I'll see if I can find a few books in english. If you need any more info, just send me a PM, or stop by on your way up the Swedish coast and I'll put a few X's on your charts
Old 15-12-2008, 21:50   #10

Boat: trident voyager 38 ft Calaloo
the crinan canal is different than the Firth and Clyde. its really a great
cut if outside weather is bad, like this last spring/summer.
We came from London, up the east and down the Caledonian,
thru the Crinan, then over to Ireland and down the east coast.

Rickf
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 01:37   #11

The Crinan was built around 150 years ago ,it used to be a much longer journey down the west coast and into the clyde.It is also most usefull in foul weather as rick has said.If you take te crinan you avoid the worst of the big waves from the Atlantic.and at the same time you do not miss out on the scenery.
Old 16-12-2008, 02:05   #12

This is sounding pretty good. I just pulled up Google Earth and showed my husband what rickf was talking about. Now he's getting interested in western Scotland and Ireland too. I'll have to check the regs on bringing the dog from the UK to Ireland on our own boat, but I'll post in the pets category on that.

Hampus, we'd love your recommendations on books in English if you can find them. I'm also fairly competent at reading German if necessary. We'll also check a nautical bookstore here in Amsterdam when I get back here after the holidays.

There's just so much exploring to do and so little time!
Old 16-12-2008, 03:13   #13

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Unfortunately not a lot covering Sweden in english. This is what I've found:

Produktinfo

This is in english and covers the entire norwegian coast. Considering your schedule (April - July?) I take it you will be going up the Swedish west coast and stay away from the east coast?

This book covers the Swedish west coast:
Produktinfo
It's in swedish, but with lots of pictures, photographs, positions and symbols. Together with a chart, I doubt you will have any problems making out the goodies

This book shows natural harbours and anchorages:
Produktinfo
Also in swedish, but with photos and scetches that you will be able to follow. Problems with these books is that everyone have them and the coast is crowded during july- mid august. best time in my oppinion is june and late august-september.

Let me know if you need help

/Hampus
Old 16-12-2008, 03:21   #14

theres a couple of photos here of my last visit to the West Coast of Scotland
guddler - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

they are on the album between the river cruise and the puppies
Old 16-12-2008, 04:23   #15

Thanks so much, Hampus. You're right that we probably won't make it to the east coast. With German and Dutch, and lots of pictures, I can probably suss out enough Swedish.

Cute puppies, bastonjock. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
Denmark, Norway, Scotland, Germany, Sweden