Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2020, 12:19   #1
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 31,046
Gdansk

Anyone have knowledge of Gdansk/Gydnia and better or worse places to keep a boat for a month or so during the summer? There are a myriad of yacht clubs and marinas, and although I'm making progress with the Polish language, it is still a pretty hard slog trying to figure what everything costs, where it is located, etc.


The historical harbour of Gdansk seems attractive, with a modern marina plus ordinary berthing at the quay -- it seems to me. If I'm understanding the price list right, for a month you pay 12 PLN per meter per day, and 5 PLN per meter per day at the quay. Anyone know whether it is reasonably safe and nice at the quay? Or would one of the yacht clubs be a better choice?


I am assuming of course that the lockdown will be lifted -- at the moment no sailing in Poland. But it looks to me like the lockdown will be gone by the time of the elections in May -- maybe -- so I need to make plans.


Grateful for any tips and/or local knowledge.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-ętre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 12:00   #2
cxz
Registered User
 
cxz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
Posts: 30
Re: Gdansk

Sorry if this is a little late on an old thread.

I'm in Gdansk at the moment. The historical city center marina is really good. Staff are excellent, there is CCTV security and you can safely leave your boat here. Very secure. Baltic Sea and Approaches is a good pilotage book to use. I cruised most of Poland's coastal ports after coming from Sweden. Feel free to message me for more specific info. There's no lockdown in Poland at the moment and quarantine requirements are removed for the EU (I think all places?). It's 12 PLN for berthing in the winter months from November which I plan to do.

I have a video of the marina here actually:


Another view prior:


Hope to see you!
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 12:16   #3
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 31,046
Re: Gdansk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxz View Post
Sorry if this is a little late on an old thread.

I'm in Gdansk at the moment. The historical city center marina is really good. Staff are excellent, there is CCTV security and you can safely leave your boat here. Very secure. Baltic Sea and Approaches is a good pilotage book to use. I cruised most of Poland's coastal ports after coming from Sweden. Feel free to message me for more specific info. There's no lockdown in Poland at the moment and quarantine requirements are removed for the EU (I think all places?). It's 12 PLN for berthing in the winter months from November which I plan to do.

Thanks, actually very timely message, as my berthing in Denmark is over in two weeks.



If you would post your more specific information here -- it would be a service to others who might be interested.


12PLN per meter?
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-ętre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 12:20   #4
cxz
Registered User
 
cxz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
Posts: 30
Re: Gdansk

It's 12 PLN for an entire berth, no metering from what I was told. According to the staff, only around 5 boats are here in the winter, although this year there may be more since 'nobody knew about this place'. How curious indeed.

Not sure about where to start about extra info. My biggest concern was the use of B7 rather than B0 as we used in Sweden. I wrote an article about my voyage, but the yachting magazines weren't interested.
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 12:23   #5
cxz
Registered User
 
cxz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
Posts: 30
Re: Gdansk

I saw that you asked about yacht services in another thread. I have a carpenter / joiner right now who is building some interior cabinets for me. Rather costly at about 1900 PLN he's quoted for me, but it is mahogany. I've tried to find someone to build me a solar panel arch at the stern, but have had trouble finding someone who can do this, let alone wants to do this. Some places are non-responsive and a bit tardy. Another guy is actually in Sardinia.

From what I was told I think Gdynia or Górki Zachodnie is better. The city center marina is no place for serious work I think, but given the right $$$ you could probably find someone quite easily. The marina staff will surely assist with this. I'm personally in no rush since I have the whole end-of-season to do all this. But in Poland they are expert shipbuilders so nothing should be a challenge for them.
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 05:04   #6
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 31,046
Re: Gdansk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxz View Post
It's 12 PLN for an entire berth, no metering from what I was told. According to the staff, only around 5 boats are here in the winter, although this year there may be more since 'nobody knew about this place'. How curious indeed.

Not sure about where to start about extra info. My biggest concern was the use of B7 rather than B0 as we used in Sweden. I wrote an article about my voyage, but the yachting magazines weren't interested.
That sounds really good!

What do you mean "B7" vs "B0"? What is that?

How about craning out for hull maintenance? Available there? Costly?
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-ętre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 05:45   #7
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 31,046
Re: Gdansk

By the way, do you worry about anything freezing there? How cold does it get in the winter?
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-ętre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 06:09   #8
cxz
Registered User
 
cxz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
Posts: 30
Re: Gdansk

About B7 and B0, this was in relation to biodiesel and the fuel grades. Basically, more bio content here, 7%. Not sure about cranes since I haven't had to do it yet, but will do so before next season. I've only ever seen the river freeze once years ago and the staff assured me that it basically never does. In addition they will run the bubblers if it starts getting cold. So I think it's perfectly fine to be honest. I feel pretty comfortable here. Originally I was going to goto Górki Zachodnie, but seeing as this is so central and convenient it's far better here I think, as long as you can handle having less services available.

My thinking is that if you need anything specific done, do it at Gdynia / Górki Zachodnie before the end of the season or the start of the next and simply winter berth centrally. If it's something interior or a small job on the outside you can probably get them to do it in the city marina.

Since I liveaboard I don't want to be on the outskirts of the town or in Gdynia as they're not as interesting / fun.
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 06:29   #9
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 31,046
Re: Gdansk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxz View Post
About B7 and B0, this was in relation to biodiesel and the fuel grades. Basically, more bio content here, 7%. Not sure about cranes since I haven't had to do it yet, but will do so before next season. I've only ever seen the river freeze once years ago and the staff assured me that it basically never does. In addition they will run the bubblers if it starts getting cold. So I think it's perfectly fine to be honest. I feel pretty comfortable here. Originally I was going to goto Górki Zachodnie, but seeing as this is so central and convenient it's far better here I think, as long as you can handle having less services available.

My thinking is that if you need anything specific done, do it at Gdynia / Górki Zachodnie before the end of the season or the start of the next and simply winter berth centrally. If it's something interior or a small job on the outside you can probably get them to do it in the city marina.

Since I liveaboard I don't want to be on the outskirts of the town or in Gdynia as they're not as interesting / fun.

Oh, biodiesel -- ick. Well I bought a half a tonne of fuel in Denmark, which is B0, so I should be good for the winter.



This sounds great, so I think I'm making this Plan "A". Do you have contacts to the marina manager? Looks like you may have a neighbour this winter.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-ętre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 06:41   #10
cxz
Registered User
 
cxz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
Posts: 30
Re: Gdansk

Last winter I filled up with B0 in Sweden to the top with biocide and got no crud in the tank at the beginning of this season. I'll have to see how that turns out this year. You can contact them here: +48 695 564 848. English is good.
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 06:48   #11
cxz
Registered User
 
cxz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
Posts: 30
Re: Gdansk

One thing I forgot to add considering you have a larger boat. Some of the channels in the ports along the Polish coast can be quite small. Just something to keep in mind. If I recall correctly Ustka and Darłowo/Darłowko were very tiny even for my 31ft boat. There will also be quite many bridges and lots of motoring when the wind is coming from NE.
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 06:24   #12
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 15,281
Images: 14
Re: Gdansk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxz View Post
I've tried to find someone to build me a solar panel arch at the stern, but have had trouble finding someone who can do this, let alone wants to do this. Some places are non-responsive and a bit tardy. Another guy is actually in Sardinia.
Have you thought of trying Parker Ribs just north of Warsaw. Their large ribs have stainless steel A frames on the stern, which is exactly what I used to mount my 300w solar panel on.

Parker Poland Sp. z o.o. - Silniki, jachty i nie tylko - Equipment and fittings for boats
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 13:15   #13
cxz
Registered User
 
cxz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
Posts: 30
Re: Gdansk

Just to avoid thread drift I've sent you a message Pete
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gdansk, Poland Marine Services Dockhead Europe & Mediterranean 0 17-02-2020 01:16
December Baltic Delivery - Gdansk to Kiel GuyBottomley Europe & Mediterranean 5 10-12-2011 23:47
Gdansk mid October SilentOption Other 2 29-09-2008 11:27

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.