Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2013, 04:12   #1

Formalities in Turkey/Dodecanese

Hello,

My wife and I (both Belgian) are thinking of renting a boat from Rhodes or Marmaris in september, to sail the Dodecanese islands and Turkish coast for about 8 days.
However I have 2 doubts:

1)Although I have rented and sailed boats several times before (French Brittany, California coast and Catalina islands mostly), I do not have any form of certification. I was only asked to provide proof of my training/experience.

2) I was told by a boat rental website that sailing a Turkish boat to Greece or vice-versa would require expensive fees + half a day of formalities at every port. Since we have only 9 days of vacation we don't want to spend them with the port Police !

Are those 2 points real and hence, should we cancel our plans ?

Thank you for your help & tips !

Lorenzo
Lordelicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 00:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!
Re: Formalities in Turkey/Dodecanese

(1) Your charter company will tell you if any proof of competence or certificate is required.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 17:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Hi Lorenzo,

The basic rule is that if yr country of origin requires any kind of documents to use the kind of boat that you want to rent, the same certificate will be required by the charter company. If you are form a country where there is no certificate requirement (eg. France) then the proof of experience is sufficient. These are the regulations imposed by the insurance companies and not charter companies.
Visiting both Turkey and Greece is possible but expensive. You have to use the port of entries and exit for both countries. Marmaris, Bozburun, Datça, Bodrum in Turkey, Rhodes, Simi, Kos in Greece. If you use agents you will save a lot of time but will cost you even more. Typically this may go up to 250-300 €. Otherwise, you hire in Greece and you stay there or vicea versa. Many charter customers are navigating between those two countries without making the entry and exits and the chance of being cought is slim. However, if you get cought the boat can be confiscated, depending on yr nationality, you may even end up in jail. Generally speaking turkish side is more tolerant and for greek side, it depends a great deal on what kind of people you fall. Some will smile some others will take it very seriously. I know one Sun Sail boat kept for two weeks in Greece simply because they didn't carry the originals of the insurance policy..
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 10:17   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen

We used an agent in Kos, Greece when we arrived from Turkey to check into Greece and the EU yesterday (19 August). The total cost was 120 € in Kos for the agent and checking in. Checking out of Turkey cost 20 € in Turgutreis.

It took 30 minutes to check out of Turkey.

It took the agent 2 hours to check us into Greece and we went ashore and ate a nice lunch while he was working.
SVAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 13:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAspen View Post
We used an agent in Kos, Greece when we arrived from Turkey to check into Greece and the EU yesterday (19 August). The total cost was 120 € in Kos for the agent and checking in. Checking out of Turkey cost 20 € in Turgutreis.

It took 30 minutes to check out of Turkey.

It took the agent 2 hours to check us into Greece and we went ashore and ate a nice lunch while he was working.
It is not necessary to use an agent especially when in Greece.
In Kos town harbour for example,the passport and customs office is just along from the mooring quay and the port police office is a 5 minute walk the other way. The cost is E15 for a 11 metre boat.this year and it can be done in 20 minutes...except around lunchtime when they typically close for at least an hour.
fishtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 14:48   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Hi Lorenzo,

The basic rule is that if yr country of origin requires any kind of documents to use the kind of boat that you want to rent, the same certificate will be required by the charter company.
Not true. If the country has a requirement that you have a competency cert them you will need to get one , as in Croatia. In other countries its down to the charter company or depends on a agreement the charter company arrives at with the authorities. This may range from experience , a mini on site exam etc etc

Dave
Old 21-08-2013, 00:21   #7

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oddyssey 37 ft 2002

As you enter Greece or Turkey a transit log is created.
I did it twice this summer. In June and in July.
I don't remember the licence necessity in Greece but
in Turkey my licence was taken by the agent. I don't
know whether it was used or not.
What I can say for sure is do not shift between the 2
countries neglecting the official procedure. While quite a lot
of boats do this irresponsibly, if you get in trouble it is really serious and painfull.
In case of an accident hitting a boat in a harbour or being hit;
or slipping and having an injury you won't have insurance coverage
if you don't have regular burocracy.
As said either greece islands or Turkish coast is more than
enough for a short holiday.
Check the licence necessity with the charter company.
Idle
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 03:45   #8

thank you everyone for your fantastic input !

So if I understand correctly, although the official fee getting into Greece costs 10-20 euros, but agents charge more than 100 ?

Finally, we are landing in Rhodes, taking a Ferry to Marmaris and departing from there (Greek charterers wouldn't rent me without an ICC or similar and wouldn't allow a wed-to-wednesday).
We will cruise in Turkey but were really hoping to see Symi and Mandraki...

If it's really 20min and 15 euro then that's great news! If it's 2hs and 150euro, less so...
Lordelicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 00:21   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Entering Greece is straitforward.

It is illegal to enter Greece without exiting Turkey.

Ask your charter company about this, because re-entering Turkey after being in Greece is (potentially) the more time-wasting and expensive activity. However, this may depend on the boat's country of registration . . . Turkish flags may have it easy. The charter company will advise you reliably.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 23:32   #10

Boat: Selene 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordelicht View Post
thank you everyone for your fantastic input !

So if I understand correctly, although the official fee getting into Greece costs 10-20 euros, but agents charge more than 100 ?

Finally, we are landing in Rhodes, taking a Ferry to Marmaris and departing from there (Greek charterers wouldn't rent me without an ICC or similar and wouldn't allow a wed-to-wednesday).
We will cruise in Turkey but were really hoping to see Symi and Mandraki...

If it's really 20min and 15 euro then that's great news! If it's 2hs and 150euro, less so...
This is a personal input so others may differ, but having been here (Marmaris) for 18 months and cruised around this area, you have picked the worst two places in the area as far as mooring is concerned (Rhodes & Symi are lovely places, I am just commenting on the harbours). Both harbours are crowded and both have terrible reputations for anchor snarls, particularly Symi.

Also the comment referring to a Euro 15 charge and 20 minutes casual work, related to Kos, not Mandraki or Symi, don't be lulled into thinking clearing in and out of Greece/Turkey is a breeze ..... it is not. Be prepared to loose a morning or afternoon on each clearance and considerably more than Euros 15.

If you only have 8 days, there is much better cruising around the Gulf of Hisaronu and no clearance difficulties. If you "must" visit Mandraki & Symi (although you will see Mandraki if you arrive in Rhodes, it's next to the ferry terminal), use a high speed ferry and have an enjoyable stress free visit and avoid the hassles of officialdom.

In fact if you arrive in Rhodes, have a look at Mandraki and get the ferry from there to Symi (Dodekanisos line), they go there and back every day. Then go to Marmaris and enjoy your cruising.
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 14:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Vista View Post
... don't be lulled into thinking clearing in and out of Greece/Turkey is a breeze ..... it is not.
+1 ... at least you'll be carrying the easier flag
vRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 04:56   #12

Boat: Cabo Rico
I haven't gone across borders, and I won't say it's a smart thing to do, but I can tell you, as a matter of fact, that people do it all the time. I bet 10% of the boats in Kos or Symi are currently logged into Turkey. Everything is so close it's almost certain you will sail into both territorial waters, unless you motor to avoid it. Nobody seems to be concerned with it as long as you are a cruising sailboat.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 05:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I haven't gone across borders, and I won't say it's a smart thing to do, but I can tell you, as a matter of fact, that people do it all the time. I bet 10% of the boats in Kos or Symi are currently logged into Turkey. Everything is so close it's almost certain you will sail into both territorial waters, unless you motor to avoid it. Nobody seems to be concerned with it as long as you are a cruising sailboat.
Are you saying that you managed to stay in Symi harbour -overnight- -carrying a turkish flag- without a visit to the harbourmaster ???
vRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 07:27   #14

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by vRUN View Post

Are you saying that you managed to stay in Symi harbour -overnight- -carrying a turkish flag- without a visit to the harbourmaster ???
Obviously you didn't read my post. I have done no such thing, nor have I contemplated it. I just know that charter boats do it.

if one were to go to Symi with a Greek transit log and a Greek flag, they would likely have no problem as the harbor master or even the Port Police would not check as to with whether they were checked into Greece or Turkey. They don't handle immigration issues.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 03:11   #15

Boat: n/a

I am bare boating in Turkey in May. I originally wanted to see Symi. Seems like such a hassle going to Greece. I have been told to fly a Greek flag before reaching the harbor but don't feel comfortable doing that. Has anyone anchored in a remote bay instead, like Peti, and taken the bus into the harbor town for the day to look around? Is that a bad idea?
bornplaydie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey