Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2014, 06:12   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!
Re: Formalities in Turkey/Dodecanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornplaydie View Post
I am bare boating in Turkey in May. I originally wanted to see Symi. Seems like such a hassle going to Greece. I have been told to fly a Greek flag before reaching the harbor but don't feel comfortable doing that. Has anyone anchored in a remote bay instead, like Peti, and taken the bus into the harbor town for the day to look around? Is that a bad idea?
Ask your charter company what they recommend. This is a question they are very often asked!

Most will tell you that there's more than enough to explore in Turkey over two weeks, without bothering to visit Greece, and they're probably right.

But, yes, it's quite feasible to nip across to Greece. The legal way is to hoist a Q flag, book in with the port police, obtain a DEKPA - or correct the crew list if the charter company already have one.

The charter company will also tell you what they advise about booking out of Turkey - and Booking back in again. Legally, you have to do both if you go to Greece, which is a pain, takes up good cruising time, and costs €100 or more.

JimBsail
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 04:46   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornplaydie View Post
I am bare boating in Turkey in May. I originally wanted to see Symi. Seems like such a hassle going to Greece. I have been told to fly a Greek flag before reaching the harbor but don't feel comfortable doing that. Has anyone anchored in a remote bay instead, like Peti, and taken the bus into the harbor town for the day to look around? Is that a bad idea?
Are you talking about the greek courtesy flag or change the flag of the boat to greek one ? First one is obligatory anyway and most (not all) greek authorities are keen on that. Changing the flag of the boat is a serious staff and I don't recommend it at all.
As I said, we tell to every customer to follow necessary procedure if they want to visit Greece. But we also know that many go there illegally. Rhodes less, but Simi is taking now this very seriously. If you go to main port, coast guard will definately visist yr boat and ask the documents.
If you go Peti or Panormitis (lovely bay at the southern tip of the island) and anchor, you can most likely get away althought, coast guard is visiting the boats at random basis once a week or so. The real trouble is , if you are involved in any accident on land or sea when you are there illegally, you will have very hard time.
Is it worth ?

Peti is just a walking distance (a bit demanding though) to the main port or there are regular buses at 1 € every half an hour running until midnight. Peti can be very busy if you come after 4-5 PM, the holding is not bad, if you avoid patches of weeds..

If you do exit/entry locally via agencies in both side, as I said, it can go up to 200-250 €. If you want to do yrself, it will be about the half. I don't think you can do it for 10-15 €, as one forumer said.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 05:27   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I would always recommend, flying the correct courtesy ensign of the starboard cross trees on entering the territorial waters of med countries, I would suggest this over the "Q" flag system which is not really in use any more in Europe , primarily because yachts are expected to self declare and check-in on land.

dave
Old 27-03-2014, 08:35   #19

Boat: n/a

Thanks all for the good info. What a hassle! I guess we really had some fantasies about how simple it would be to "just cruise over to Greece."
bornplaydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 11:40   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Thanks all for the good info. What a hassle! I guess we really had some fantasies about how simple it would be to "just cruise over to Greece."
yes but remember, these people were throwing rocks at one another , not too long ago

Tags
Turkey