Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2010, 19:29   #1

First Time in Greece

We are planning to sail for 10 days in Greece in June 2011. We are 4 couples in our 50's . We haven't decided where to go ;to the ionian ,the sporades , the saronic or the cyclades (which i believe are too windy )We would like not crowded places , short distances (no more than 3 to 6 hours a day) and if possible, with archeological sights. We've sailed in Croatia (Split) , Turkey (Gocek to Kalkan) and the BVI. Is it more difficult? (I don't like waves). I would appreciate any suggestions.
MIMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 01:58   #2

Boat: No boat yet
Ionian is great for your cruising profile. You won't need to motor-sail more than 3-4 hours. If you prefer to use your sails only, every evening from 13:00 to 18:00 there is a breeze of about 12 knots.

There is a swell on the west side every evening after 16:00 and it is difficult to find a safe anchorage there, but the east side is always calm and has plenty of them.
lucast70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 04:30   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
take the corinth straits passage (no waves), to the Ionians (corfu!!!). Its a great sail, lots of places - with as much as 6 hours between, and lots of interesting sites along the way.
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 04:35   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMS View Post
We are planning to sail for 10 days in Greece in June 2011. We are 4 couples in our 50's . We haven't decided where to go ;to the ionian ,the sporades , the saronic or the cyclades (which i believe are too windy )We would like not crowded places , short distances (no more than 3 to 6 hours a day) and if possible, with archeological sights. We've sailed in Croatia (Split) , Turkey (Gocek to Kalkan) and the BVI. Is it more difficult? (I don't like waves). I would appreciate any suggestions.
It's a little hard for me to understand how you can love sailing if you "don't like waves". But anyway, no, you will not find Greece to be harder than Aegean Turkey. It's the same sea with the same lively Meltemi wind in the summer. It's more challenging than BVI or Croatia but certainly not too much for a sailor of average ability in a boat of average seaworthiness. I've sailed Aegean Turkey in chartered Beneteaus of modest seaworthiness and loved it; the Meltemi often blows over 40 knots but out of a clear sky and without gusts, so properly reefed it's not a problem at all. The Aegean is gorgeous, but you know that if you've sailed out of Gocek (which technically is just outside the Aegean but it's very much the same thing).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 19:04   #5

Thanks for the replies, it's a helpful input. Is it too far from Lefkas to Corfu? Is it good sailing? Once in Corfu, is it easy to find safe anchorage , is there too much coming and going of ferries ?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:53   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, it's a helpful input. Is it too far from Lefkas to Corfu? Is it good sailing? Once in Corfu, is it easy to find safe anchorage , is there too much coming and going of ferries ?
From Lefkas tou Corfu the distance is about 50-60 nm. BUT, in the middle you will find Paxos, a wonderful little island.

In Corfu there is a marina in Gouvia.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:06   #7

From Lefkas to Corfu I think it is 50-60 nm. But in the middle of this trip you will find Paxos, a wonderful little island. In Corfu there is a marina in Gouvia.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:24   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Mims,
We've done Lefkas to Corfu in a long day but IMHO if you charter from Lefkas then remember there are other nice locations to the south of you as well. It is always a bit packed but Fiscaro on Kefalonia is a true 'not to be missed' location.
Suggest you check it all out via Google Earth but you'll not be bothered by ferry traffic in Corfu as you'll not be anchoring in the main port (I hope).
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 02-10-2010, 02:23   #9
Jad

Boat: Alubat-Ovni (aluminium) 12.10 m JAD
Hello,
We are living on board since April 2009 (Portugal, Spain including Baleares, France <Corsica>, Italy<From Elba to Calabria> and now in Greece <Ionian and Aegean>)
In our site we give a brief descriptions of all our stop overs and lots of pictures.
JAD
[URL="http://www.ovnijad.com
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Personally I enjoyed the channel between Evia and the mainland from Marmaris to Platania.... saw very few yachts and stopped in some nice(for us)places.... and after that there's the little chain of the Cyclades... complete with Monk seals.
Only caution is carry cash... quite a few places have no ATM's... in Platania for example we had to go 30km inland to get cash... plastic was not accepted.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:34   #11

We are probably arriving to Athens airport , but we have to pick our boat at Vounaki. I've been trying to find the best and fastest way to get there, it says there is an airport but can't find flights. A transfer is the best way? or a ferry? . We are flying from Frankfurt or Munich.
Old 04-10-2010, 16:11   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
was recently there , use the airport in Preveza, but most of teh flights are charter. Note Airberlin fly from several german airports to preveza. There is also an express bus service from Preveza to Athens. ( Taxi to Vounaki).

See Free cheap flight comparison - Skyscanner - Your flight search starts here! for a good european cheap flights search engine

good luck , beautiful sailing ground, no wind though
Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 16:16   #13
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
This site is useful

Yacht charter Greece and sailing holidays Greece and Turkey - Marine navigation - Yacht charters Greek islands and Turkish coasts

And you can use Greeka.com to find the best ferry routes.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:15   #14

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
to MIMS athens to vounaki go by bus but i cant belive what i have read you dont like waves well you might as well get a toy sail boat and sail it in your bath tub because when you sail out of vounaki you are sailing into the heart of where the meltmi starts to blow and i love nothing more than a good stiff wind but if you want a gentle sail go in march when its not warm and the nights are cold but the sailing is great
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:01   #15

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Quote:
We are probably arriving to Athens airport , but we have to pick our boat at Vounaki. I've been trying to find the best and fastest way to get there, it says there is an airport but can't find flights. A transfer is the best way? or a ferry? . We are flying from Frankfurt or Munich.
Makes no sense to fly to Athens. Get a charter flight or airberlin to Preveza/Aktio airport, half an hour in a taxi and you are in Vounaki.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece