Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 11:37   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Finland?

I have a big project in Finland, and will be spending a lot of time there this year.

I am struggling to figure out what new adventures on my boat will mesh best with my still active professional life. I've considered and rejected (with really good advice from several CF'ers) a rushed Atlantic circuit.

Maybe I should cruise the Baltic? Move my boat to Helsinki for the summer?

I know that the Stockholm archipelago is epic cruising. What about Finland? There seem to be a thousand islands in the SW of the country, and the Gulf of Bothnia looks like terra icognita, a potentially wild and desolate place to cruise.

I did a search and found precisely zero on here. Hasn't anyone cruised Finland?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:07   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Finland?

I haven't seen anything on here except a few blogs of boats going to Finland and usually not much after transiting the Kiel canal. Noonsite might be of use to you.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:49   #3

Boat: Inferno 31, 1985

There is only little information in english available, a lot more in finnish.

Here are some links:

english
Coastal Areas and Archipelago | VisitFinland.com

This is only finnish or swedish, but clicking on the map should give you a hint of whats there
Veneretki - Båtfärd

Cruising in the summer is popular here. If you are staying long i'm positive you are going to meet locals who will share their knowledge.

Where are you going to stay in Finland?

-Petri
Petri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:13   #4

There are many European, mostly Germans, sailing to Finland, it is a beautiful area, however in most cases not further North than to Turku. This because of weather reasons, not so much because of strong winds as because of the low temperatures even in summer.

German literature is available at HanseNautic. There is also a lot of Finnish literature available in Finland which is useless as unreadable.

For me the Finnish sailing area is most beautiful in the world, I have been there sailing about 13 years ago (not with own boat at that time). One likes it or not, I like it because we do not feel so comfortable in the heat anymore.
We have meanwhile shipped our boat to the north of Germany to be close to that area. (My website is not yet updated.)
Joefloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Petri.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:17   #6

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

As Petri said a lot of excellent coastal cruising. The southern coast is full of islands inlets and nature harbours, very much like the Swedish counter part with the excemption of much larger area. And open waters are not so far away if ya want some room around. Finding convenient place to keep your boat might be more of a task methinks, best to start to seek at once..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ce...chipelago.html
Check up some pictures. http://www.google.fi/search?q=finnis...w=1280&bih=800
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 11:41   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefloki View Post

German literature is available at HanseNautic. There is also a lot of Finnish literature available in Finland which is useless as unreadable.
I got a chuckle out of the idea that German literature is supremely useful while Finnish literature is "useless as unreadable". Neverthless, for me this happens to be true, insofern als ich ohne Probleme auf Deutsch lese, zufaellig. . . Die finnische Sprache koennte sogut Chinesisch sein, fur mich. . . kitos!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:19   #8

Location: Turku, Finland (home); Brussels Royal Yacht Club, Belgeum (at the boat just now)
Boat: Alan Pape 44ft Ketch

Sorry, newbie to this forum. I've lived in Turku for more than 10 years and the Archipelago all around south west Finland is the best! You haven't mentioned what type of boat you have, but good to have a boat with a shallowish draft so you can get to the smaller places around the Archipelago.

On a similar topic, my wife (a Finn, I'm a Kiwi) and I have just taken that drastic step of purchasing our own boat after years sailing on other peoples. Home port will be Nauvo, in the west Finland Archipelago, however the boat is currently in Plymouth, UK.

Bringing the boat to Finland will be the longest trip we have done so far, so would really appreciate advice on how to make the trip. Do we go up the east coast of England or is it better to cross the English channel early and go up the other side. We are thinking of taking the Kiel Canal, but after that should we go up and follow the Swedish coast or a different route. Any advice would be appreciated or any links/recommended reading (in addition to charts, pilots,tide tables etc ;-)

May also be looking for another crew member, if anyone is interested....

Cheers,

Stu.
sturaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:07   #9

Boat: LM 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturaven View Post
Bringing the boat to Finland will be the longest trip we have done so far, so would really appreciate advice on how to make the trip. Do we go up the east coast of England or is it better to cross the English channel early and go up the other side. We are thinking of taking the Kiel Canal, but after that should we go up and follow the Swedish coast or a different route. Any advice would be appreciated or any links/recommended reading (in addition to charts, pilots,tide tables etc ;-)

May also be looking for another crew member, if anyone is interested....
Disclaimer: I have not sailed outside the Baltic and Kattegat myself (yet), but here is some information that you might consider.

An option to consider is that you can take the "Staande Mastroute" (Standing mast route) through the Netherlands. I think it will be slower than going on the outside of the coast, but on the other hand the weather will be less of a factor in deciding when to sail. It seems Staande Mastroute is the official site, but it's in dutch. It has also been discussed on http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...and-61625.html

For planning the route through Denmark and Sweden there is free online charts on Kartor, vägbeskrivningar, flygfoton, sjökort & mycket mer på eniro.se - select "Sjökort". Obviously you should get proper charts for the trip itself, but in the preliminary planning phase I think it is sufficient.

When are you planning to make the trip?
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:46   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Finland is fabulous and great sailing. Far from tierra incognita with boat per capita probably higher than anywhere else in the world (if not in Finland then definitely so in neighbouring Sweden). And yet with so few inhabitants, you will find pristine nature and secluded harbours.

Beware the season will be short - boats in the water in late May and back on dry mostly before the end of October.

Now and then a summer comes cold and rainy. Nothing you can do.

Distances are short and the sea is generally flat. Still, avoid getting caught in any serious gale as the lee shore is always very close and there are hundreds of thousands of skerries.

You can ice-sail in the winter.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:03   #11

Boat: Inferno 31, 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturaven View Post
We are thinking of taking the Kiel Canal, but after that should we go up and follow the Swedish coast or a different route. Any advice would be appreciated or any links/recommended reading (in addition to charts, pilots,tide tables etc ;-)
@ Stu

This is a blog about delivery from holland to finland: Veneilyä ja muuta, boating and other stuff: Bavaria 38:n nouto Hollannista Suomeen. Mostly finnish, as mentioned earlier there is only little to be found in english. Plenty of information in swedish and of course finnish.

@ Dockhead (and others of course)

not a covering it all, but a nice touch on my opinion: Sail in Finland! - The unique sailing experience

-Petri
Petri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:14   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Dockhead

PM me. I am the danish delegate to the Baltic Cruiser Network, which is an association of the national sailing association around the Baltic.

I can send you some english information plus give you contact names and e-mails in all the Baltic countries.

Anbody else coming up this way let me know, I can help

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:55   #13

Location: Turku, Finland (home); Brussels Royal Yacht Club, Belgeum (at the boat just now)

Hi madsb,

Thanks for the tips, I hadn't thought of the "Staande Mastroute". We are hoping to make the trip mid June, depending on how long prep. time turns out to be.

Stu.
Old 11-02-2013, 14:58   #14

Hei Petri,

Kiitos infosta :-)

My Finnish is a bit rusty (been away from finland for 2 years and it's amazing how fast you loose it), but I'll press my wife into service and she can have a read.

Stu.
Old 18-02-2013, 14:35   #15
cruiser

i do not know now, but in 1976, couple of miles before Hanko we had to call tugs and icebreaker for assistance to get us out of ice. and that was end of april.

i wonder what happened to that girl there, Eva. probably she is someone wife now.(and in her sixties)
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Finland