Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 13:20   #1

Entering Italy from Croatia - formalities?

Croatia became a part of EU this July. So now, when sailing to Italy from Croatia, do we still need to go through formalities, like Port Authorities, Customs and Immigration?

I tried to search for this, but could find only outdated info (noonsite and JimB) that referred to Croatia being outside of EU. Or maybe I'm too tired and couldn't see the right paragraph. So thanks in advance for your help!
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 03:29   #2

Re: Entering Italy from Croatia - formalities?

does´nt matter from which country you´ll come, immigration procedures are duty. Seaside is border anyway.
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 07:36   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
I tried to search for this, but could find only outdated info (noonsite and JimB) that referred to Croatia being outside of EU. Or maybe I'm too tired and couldn't see the right paragraph. So thanks in advance for your help!
Hm. Sorry about that. I'd updated the site, but forgot to put in the "departure" rule.

The check out rule is clearly stated in the new regs, but I don't know its purpose when applied to EU citizens in EU boats going to Italy.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:13   #4

Boat: secondarily boatless

Katiusha,

for EU citizens the question is whether Croatia has signed the Schengen agreement. If they did, you can cross over without any formalities. If they are not part of it yet (which I assume) or if you are not an EU citizen or have a boat under a non-EU flag, you need to check in.

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 03:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver L. View Post
Croatia has signed the Schengen
Croatia want´s to be member of Schengen in 2015. Until than it´s only member of EU.

clearing inward for all incl. EU-Citizen from seaside, f.e. Portugal: only in port of entry. We came from Acores to Pt. check in Lagos.
Sailing and Boating in the Algarve - AngloINFO Algarve, in the Algarve (Portugal)
Next step to Spain, check in Algeciras, same procedures. And btw. look:
Tax inspections on foreign boats — Noonsite

Tellus
Old 26-08-2013, 04:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
Hm. Sorry about that. I'd updated the site, but forgot to put in the "departure" rule. Corrected now.

The check out rule is clearly stated in the new regs, but I don't know its purpose when applied to EU citizens in EU boats going to Italy.
"external frontier of the Community" is the keyword, means that any vessel that comes from seaside into the 12nm-area are in customs area of the country. And even EU citizen have to check in if they come from seaside to an EU-port. btw. Croatia has not signed the Schengen Act yet.

Tellus
Old 26-08-2013, 05:20   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
And even EU citizen have to check in if they come from seaside to an EU-port.
Yes but the actual rules are country specific. Some EU countries do not require you to physically present your self in you are all EU.

dave
Old 27-08-2013, 00:10   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellus View Post
"external frontier of the Community" is the keyword, means that any vessel that comes from seaside into the 12nm-area are in customs area of the country. And even EU citizen have to check in if they come from seaside to an EU-port. btw. Croatia has not signed the Schengen Act yet.

Tellus
The OP was asking about departures from Croatia, not arrivals in Italy

And yes, I'm aware Croatia isn't within Schengen, though it has applied to join for 2015.
Old 27-08-2013, 02:04   #9

Quote:
The OP was asking about departures from Croatia, not arrivals in Italy

And yes, I'm aware Croatia isn't within Schengen, though it has applied to join for 2015.
Actually the OP was asking about entry onto Italy, but being too tired (try passage making with a teething baby who's just starting to walk), didn't make it clear. In any case, the verdict is clear: better to try doing full check-in.
Old 28-08-2013, 00:37   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Actually the OP was asking about entry onto Italy, but being too tired (try passage making with a teething baby who's just starting to walk), didn't make it clear. In any case, the verdict is clear: better to try doing full check-in.
Ooops! Assumption on my part. Because you mentioned you'd checked my site.

My site had the arrivals procedure right, but forgot to mention the requirement to check out of Croatia. Even if you're just crawling around the corner to Slovenia! According to the new Croatia rule book, that is.
Old 28-08-2013, 01:49   #11

Quote:
Ooops! Assumption on my part. Because you mentioned you'd checked my site.

My site had the arrivals procedure right, but forgot to mention the requirement to check out of Croatia. Even if you're just crawling around the corner to Slovenia! According to the new Croatia rule book, that is.
Hmm... could you please point me in the right direction then? Most likely I wasn't checking in the right place. I checked and this is what I saw:

Quote:
Italy

Arrival and Departure

The law requires all vessels arriving from non-EU countries (Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and north African countries) to report to customs, immigration and Port Captain on arrival. Customs and immigration are available in ports of entry.
Old 28-08-2013, 01:52   #12
Nearly an old salt

I would now presume that as Croatia is in teh eu, there is no need to check in coming from Croatia

dave
Old 28-08-2013, 01:54   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I dont beleive this applies to EU boats/crews Jim. ( certainly based on what my friend who is there says) . Since there is no stamp on your passport there is no need to get one on departure.

dave
Old 29-08-2013, 01:05   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Hmm... could you please point me in the right direction then? Most likely I wasn't checking in the right place. I checked Italy | JimB Sail and this is what I saw:
Hey, great stuff. When updating Croatia I forgot to update the Italy page! Can I recruit you as an editor/proof reader? Many thanks for pointing out the error. Corrected.

Dave,

The Croatia departure stuff is, of course, on the Croatia page.

This document was issued to clarify what happens after 1 Jan 2014.

And, yes, if you're departing for another EU country with EU crew aboard and EU boat, there should be no cause to require this checkout. Going non-EU is another matter see UK's need for the C1331 when going to the Channel Islands (ignored by the French though!)
Old 15-09-2013, 06:30   #15

Boat: none yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I would now presume that as Croatia is in teh eu, there is no need to check in coming from Croatia

dave
Don't presume too much. The boat I was sailing with in late August, had a very unpleasant experience at the 'border' line with Montenegro in mid July (few weeks after the official entry in the EU). Apparently, there was a newly created 'tourist tax' for boats for which the crew were not aware and offered to pay on the spot, but the coast guard ordered them to go back to Cavtat and pay the tax. As it was Saturday, the Cavtat office was closed so they had to go all the way back to Dubrovnik. In addition they had to pay a penalty. It came around Eur 400 in total.
In summary it was obvious that the Coast Guard were sitting there to harass unaware boaters. If they wanted to collect the money, I would organize somebody on board that can charge the boats on the spot and avoiding all this annoyances.
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, Italy