Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2006, 09:36   #1

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
East Med Journey

Please don't think I'm bragging as that's not the intent - but I'm so looking forward to our 06 summer cruise now we've fixed it - I can hardly keep it to myself.

We're luckily off in five weeks time for a four month cruise across from Palma Mallorca to Istanbul, and then down the Turkish coast with the East Med Rally stopping over in Cyprus, Syria, Lebanon, Isreal and finally Egypt.
The two week 'delivery' trip to Istanbul will see two pals join Sue and I to cover the 1,600 miles, but the longer portion thereafter we'll be doing it two handed.
As I said, I feel very lucky, especially in having a lady who is looking forward to the experiences as much as I am.

We are set up for coastal web access, so will keep you posted on anything of real interest.

Cheers
JOHN
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 11:12   #2

Wow John.

I know that place Palma De Mallorca. Been there plenty of times. I've always rated that place my most favorite place in the entire Med.

I still have never been to Greece. I have always wanted to go there.

I have been all over the southern French coast. No mystery there!!

I never been to Spain. So that's another place I want to visit!!

I've been to Italy quite a few times!! And Sicily!!

Been to Turkey.

Went to Israel quite often in the past.

Been to England only once. I always wanted to visit England more than France.

I really didn't think of France that highly. Snobbish people the French!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 12:35   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
"I never been to Spain. So that's another place I want to visit!!"

Kevin, Palma de Mallorca is in Spain, so, you can take one of your list of non-visted Med countries.

-Jan-
cyclepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 13:16   #4

Wrong Jan.

Palma is a island. 150 miles off the coast from the mainland of Spain. So in other words, I still want to see the mainland!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 17-02-2006, 13:26   #5

You're right about only one thing Jan!!

Spain owns the island of Palma!!

Old 17-02-2006, 13:27   #6

Boat: Ensenada 20
Swagman, that sounds like a grand adventure!

Do you have any/many concerns about the instability and "anti-west" sentiment in the Syria/Lebanon etc. region? and if so, how are you preparing for it?

Hope you have a wonderful and safe trip!!
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 15:44   #7
cruiser

John,

Sounds like an amazing plan. I'm glad you have it locked in. The Med is one of my all time favorite places on Earth (it might be THE favorite, if I count the food and wine!).

I have found in my travels that as long as you're not in a war zone, people are people. Only a few are unfriendly... most are just like us. I'm sure John will be fine.

Our long range plans include a trans-Atlantic (5 yrs out) and a tour of the UK area then down to the Med, back to the Carib, and back to the States. I have all my paperwork in for my EU citizenship right now in anticipation. Aye... I'm an Irishman.

John, how much time will you have to explore ports? Just curious, as it seems you are going quite a distance in 4 mos.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 16:02   #8

Eh?

Luck of the Irish!!

Old 17-02-2006, 23:33   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
[i]
Do you have any/many concerns about the instability and "anti-west" sentiment in the Syria/Lebanon etc. region? and if so, how are you preparing for it?[/B]
Hi - yes, would be silly not to be concerned but the trip down the east med is as part of EMYR and with another 80 cruisers - and as a back up the fleet is accomopanied by a couple of Turkish Coastguard cutters.

The routing requirements are to remain 12 miles offshore down the levant coast and maintain good communications with the other cruisers. They will break down the 80 into 6 groups with equal speed and have group controllers in close range.

I've no doubts the local police etc will be charged with ensuring the shoreside security is tight and it is on land the risks may increase. Guess Syria could be the worst spot right now, with pretty good pro-west sentiments still strong in Lebanon, Isreal and Egypt.

But as I don't walk away often from an arguement, I will also need to work on how to keep my big mouth shut whilst keeping our eyes wide open.........

Re the other Q on how much time in each port. Well it is pretty limited to cover the distance in the time given and that's a past complaint from this rally.

The first bash over from Palma to Turkey we're treating as a delivery trip with only a few breaks in Sardinia, Sicily, Greece - but we've spent time in each before so won't be missing much. The rally proper - down the Turkish coast and onward - involves several 100 / 150 day and night sails in oder to allow for 1 / 2 / 3 days stopovers in relative Turkish and east med ports - so again time to visit inland places will be limited but available.

The EMYR organisers do have side trips planned to places of special interest (Saladins Castle sound interesting as does a final trip up the Nile to see the Pyramids) - so I'll be seeing more than I would sitting back in Palma.

But once it is over at end June - we'll be reviewing those places we wish to revist - and hope to spend more time at each on our trip back up the coast to Turkey. We are leaving the boat for next winter in Kermer on the Turkish med coast - which will allow us also to fly out for winter breaks and further exploration as and when time permits.

Fully appreciate one could easily spend a month in any one spot - but if we want to do this first cruise in this part of the world with company - we'll have to make do.

Cheers - and really appreciate the supportive comments.

JOHN
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote