Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 23:25   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Damage at Lavrion Marina Greece

The peninsula south of Athens was hit by strong winds on Thursday 22nd October (yesterday afternoon). Images can be found on the Facebook page of Argolis yachts:
https://www.facebook.com/21964006227...type=3&theater

This is the Noonsite profile on Lavrion Marina:
Lavrion —

It appears at least a couple of dozen yachts have toppled off their cradles on the hard stand.

We are currently about 70nm away and playing musical anchorages as the wind flips around. Typically weird autumn weather that we get here in the Aegean. With good anchoring gear, I feel safer at anchor than in a boat yard or marina.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 00:09   #2

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali
Re: Damage at Lavrion Marina Greece

OMG stay safe, we are in Marmaris right now, it's a winter system going through but nothing like what you show

May the good winds always be with you
Old 23-10-2015, 01:15   #3

Did you see the damage done October last year also in Lavrio when a ship dragged anchor?

RoRo Alios Breaks Free in Greece, Sinks Yachts| SeaNews

Old 10-11-2015, 04:34   #4

Boat: Jenneau 45

Is this the storage ashore in Lavrion harbour or Olympic Marina just outside the town?

My boat is in Olympic !!
Raythesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:08   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raythesailor View Post
Is this the storage ashore in Lavrion harbour or Olympic Marina just outside the town?

My boat is in Olympic !!
I think it was in Lavrion Harbour. It occurred nearly 3 weeks ago, so I am sure you would have received notification by now had your boat been involved. A phone call or email would give you peace of mind though.

SWL

Old 10-11-2015, 09:28   #6

Thank you Sea worthy.

I googled "storm in Lavrion" and immediately found horrendous photographs.

The last time I was involved in something like this was the infamous "Michael Fish" , Hurricane, what Hurricane that came through the English Channel!

I have sent off a e mail and text. You are quite correct (I hope) that no news is hopefully good news

I think that the hard in Olympic is possibly more sheltered from N winds than Lavrion.

Thanks again. If you are in the area next year come and say hello.

Ray, SY Josephine. Jenneau 45
Old 10-11-2015, 11:18   #7

Quote:
Thank you Sea worthy.

I googled "storm in Lavrion" and immediately found horrendous photographs.

The last time I was involved in something like this was the infamous "Michael Fish" , Hurricane, what Hurricane that came through the English Channel!

I have sent off a e mail and text. You are quite correct (I hope) that no news is hopefully good news

I think that the hard in Olympic is possibly more sheltered from N winds than Lavrion.

Thanks again. If you are in the area next year come and say hello.

Ray, SY Josephine. Jenneau 45
I was in Olympic at the start of Autumn when the northerly was blowing crazy and it seemed pretty sheltered whilst the boatyard at Lavrio looks to be totally open to the north.

I wonder if we may have met in Olympic? I chatted to a guy who had just hauled out his Jeanneau for the winter whilst mine was on the travel lift after I refitted my prop.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:38   #8

Yes Hello.

I think we did meet. We chatted and you said that you were returning to the Ionian, and we had just come back in the opposite direction ?

I think you were also a Jenneau owner, Australian or NZ?

We actually came out earlier than normal as the heat was getting to us. We were extremely lucky as we returned back to the UK for what we call an "Indian Summer".

Looking foreword to returning late March early April. If you see us come and say hello.

Ray & Mandy, SY Josephine . Jenneau 45
Old 10-11-2015, 11:57   #9

Quote:
Yes Hello.

I think we did meet. We chatted and you said that you were returning to the Ionian, and we had just come back in the opposite direction ?

I think you were also a Jenneau owner, Australian or NZ?

We actually came out earlier than normal as the heat was getting to us. We were extremely lucky as we returned back to the UK for what we call an "Indian Summer".

Looking foreword to returning late March early April. If you see us come and say hello.

Ray & Mandy, SY Josephine . Jenneau 45
An Aussie.... SO40, and yep I was on my way back to Corfu

I ended my season a month earlier than expected, but tomorrow I'm heading down to Corfu for what was planned to be a week of working on the boat in the marina. With sun and low 20's predicted all week I might just have to get out for a motor or even a sail
Old 10-11-2015, 12:10   #10

Hi again,
Isn't the Internet an amazing thing. I am still learning how to use it. Today is the first time I have been on this forum for some time, and now can not keep off it !!

I am considering Albania and Monternegro next year and when I get used to this site may start a thread asking for advice.

Ray
Old 10-11-2015, 12:17   #11

Quote:
Hi again,
Isn't the Internet an amazing thing. I am still learning how to use it. Today is the first time I have been on this forum for some time, and now can not keep off it !!

I am considering Albania and Monternegro next year and when I get used to this site may start a thread asking for advice.

Ray
There is a Jeanneau SO40DS owner who posts here as "Chuckr" who was in Albania at the start of the season. He seemed to like it and I'm sure if you do start asking here, he will probably chime in.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:49   #12

Ok
Really enjoying this dialogue.

Will also start a post soon about sea cocks. I decided to have a holding tank fitted,(been a little naughty, and did not have one), and so decided to check out all the outlets.

Shock horror.

Very corroded and disaster waiting to happen !!!
Old 11-11-2015, 03:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The peninsula south of Athens was hit by strong winds on Thursday 22nd October (yesterday afternoon). Images can be found on the Facebook page of Argolis yachts:

This is the Noonsite profile on Lavrion Marina:
Lavrion —

It appears at least a couple of dozen yachts have toppled off their cradles on the hard stand.

We are currently about 70nm away and playing musical anchorages as the wind flips around. Typically weird autumn weather that we get here in the Aegean. With good anchoring gear, I feel safer at anchor than in a boat yard or marina.

SWL
I have now spoken to the guy who looks after my boat in Olympic.

He was there when it happened and said it was horrendous.
It was in fact a Tornado, with wind speeds in excess of 180 MPH. There was considerable damage to properties in the town, with trees down and a factory loosing its entire roof.

He says that boats in Lavrion harbour on the hard were not blown over, as such, more like they were lifted out of their cradles as the Tornado passed directly overhead, and then dropped down again as it passed.

Luckily for me it missed Olympic, but my commiserations to the owners in Lavrion.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:25   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

It was in fact a Tornado, with wind speeds in excess of 180 MPH. There was considerable damage to properties in the town, with trees down and a factory loosing its entire roof.

He says that boats in Lavrion harbour on the hard were not blown over, as such, more like they were lifted out of their cradles as the Tornado passed directly overhead, and then dropped down again as it passed.

Luckily for me it missed Olympic, but my commiserations to the owners in Lavrion.
Wow! Thanks for the report. The photos looked horrific, but I thought it would have been mainly due a domino effect.

It is the stuff of nightmares for boat owners. I am very glad you were not affected.

SWL

Old 11-11-2015, 04:38   #15

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation. I found the image on the FB page puzzling, as it appeared the toppled boats had no stands, or that the stands were not visible and I thought perhaps sunk into the flimsy substrate? But lifted and dropped? Gosh. Just shows why tie downs are necessary IN ADDITION to cradles.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece