Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2020, 08:37   #16
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,543
Images: 3
Re: Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
This thread was started in a political vane. "the disaster that is Brexit" so you should expect some backlash to politically opinionated statements.

The majority of UK citizens feel that Brexit was and is a good idea hence the referendum result. Those selfish cruisers that disagree seem to be living in a foreign country on the back of being British while in the main not contributing to the health system in either.

Before the eu it was possible for most western and antipodean nationals to cruise "Europe" indefinitely by moving between "countries". There was no VAT or import duties on "visiting" boats. Yes, you might decided to have medical insurance just like you would in the 150 odd other countries in world.


There was no ď good auld days ď thatís the fatal lie behind Brexit

As for a majority ( yes a very slim one ). Most democracies would typically have a requirement for a bigger margin then a simple majority for such a major constitutional change
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 09:00   #17
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 4,556
Evil club

I thought us Yanks had the only evil empire. It's nice to know we have some company at the top (or bottom depending)......
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 09:23   #18
Deep Water Deliveries
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 26,804
Images: 2
pirate Re: Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There was no ď good auld days ď thatís the fatal lie behind Brexit

As for a majority ( yes a very slim one ). Most democracies would typically have a requirement for a bigger margin then a simple majority for such a major constitutional change
4 years after the referendum the weeping n wailing n gnashing of teeth by Remainders continues.. along with the sabotage to try and thwart the exit.
Bet you have a Guy Verhofstadt poster on the deckhead above your bunk..
__________________


Born to be Wild.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 12:25   #19
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 15,327
Images: 14
Re: Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Perhaps Pete you might keep your nonsense propaganda to yourself. Once I see “ evil EU “ etc , you loose every shred of the tiny credibility you might have had.

Thanks
Sorry couldn't resist but when you see the President of the EU Commission pissed again on daytime national tv, at our expense, then you kind of understand why folk vote for change.

Anyway, back to sailing. So how many folk are actually affected?

Majority of yachts in the UK will remain UK VAT paid. They may visit the EU but most will be holiday sailing and return home before the 18m / 90 day limits really bite.

Same for EU yachts, they remain EU VAT paid and many will visit the UK for holidays before returning home or on to other EU countries.

The number of UK folk who up sticks sail a UK VAT yacht to the EU permanently is actually a tiny number each year. They will either have to go native, or jump in and out of the EU. Is this any different from someone in the US visiting Caribbean or South Pacific having to comply with lots of different rules in each country?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 12:30   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: at home
Boat: no longer cf member
Posts: 371
Re: Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Would be nice to keep your political views out of the forum , brexit has not happened yet so the understanding of it being a disaster is an opinion , that frankly we are fed up hearing about all the crystal ball readers
AND I voted remain !,,
And your news is old news we have always known this since 2016 the referendum
Did you think we were still all going to be best friends
SMACK ON!!

But the hate just oozes out of some folks......they simply cannot control it.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 14:53   #21
Deep Water Deliveries
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 26,804
Images: 2
pirate Re: Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

If/ when I buy another boat it will be UK Flagged and once a year/18mths down to Tangiers and Gib is no problem.. shopping trip and fun cruise.
Just like a UK reg car in the EU.. take it out once a year and it's all good, no need to import.
__________________


Born to be Wild.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 13:48   #22
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,543
Images: 3
Re: Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If/ when I buy another boat it will be UK Flagged and once a year/18mths down to Tangiers and Gib is no problem.. shopping trip and fun cruise.

Just like a UK reg car in the EU.. take it out once a year and it's all good, no need to import.


Assuming of course the EU maintains the TIR relief in the same form. Itís fine when it was applying to a few US cruisers ( the extension from 6 to 18 months was largely to facilitate them ) we shall see ...

By the way a car can only be kept for 3 months without technically being required to be registered in the new eu state
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 13:49   #23
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,543
Images: 3
Re: Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
4 years after the referendum the weeping n wailing n gnashing of teeth by Remainders continues.. along with the sabotage to try and thwart the exit.

Bet you have a Guy Verhofstadt poster on the deckhead above your bunk..



Iíve no skin in the game. Iím in a country where membership has well over 75% approval

And no itís not Scotland or NI
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 13:51   #24
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,543
Images: 3
Re: Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Individual countries are taking their own paths regarding Brit citizens.. Portugal being one of them.
If your in France your in the do-do as Macron has his knickers in a twist because he'll have to dicker for fish in future.. not just arbitraly hoover up 80% of the fish in the Channel the way they have for decades..
Loadsa upsides from where I view things, just wish I was 40yrs younger to enjoy the ride.


Whets is this famous ď upside ď cause Iíve yet to see evidence of it. I do see lots of expat brits running around registering boats , seeking residency status and all sorts of other issues
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 13:57   #25
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,543
Images: 3
Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Sorry couldn't resist but when you see the President of the EU Commission pissed again on daytime national tv, at our expense, then you kind of understand why folk vote for change.

Anyway, back to sailing. So how many folk are actually affected?

Majority of yachts in the UK will remain UK VAT paid. They may visit the EU but most will be holiday sailing and return home before the 18m / 90 day limits really bite.

Same for EU yachts, they remain EU VAT paid and many will visit the UK for holidays before returning home or on to other EU countries.

The number of UK folk who up sticks sail a UK VAT yacht to the EU permanently is actually a tiny number each year. They will either have to go native, or jump in and out of the EU. Is this any different from someone in the US visiting Caribbean or South Pacific having to comply with lots of different rules in each country?

Pete


There are actually potentially some huge benefits for EU boat builders

Fir the first time U.K. buyers can now buy a boat outside the U.K. and EU vat free , and abiding by the TIR provisions keep their boat in the EU without paying either U.K. vat or eu vat. This makes an EU built boat a significant attraction to UK buyers provided they donít bring it back to the UK

I can imagine the U.K. agents of Bav/Bene etc howling about this though

Whether this anomaly will be allowed to continue remains to be seen , the TIR extension was largely to facilitate US visitors and was not a way to circumvent vat.

Given the U.K. has adopted all the EU law into domestic law ( for the next few years ) presumably they will also afford EU visitors a TIR on EU boats.

Over time of course tax laws will undoubtably diverge certainly in detail.
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat, customs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brexit and Finnish Customs Dockhead Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 2 27-06-2016 05:30
Want To Buy: Melbourne - Cat - Half Shares ausaviator Classifieds Archive 1 03-02-2011 19:40
For Sale: Shares in Macgregor 26M in Turkey £3750 r.fairman Classifieds Archive 0 25-12-2010 22:16

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.