Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2020, 06:41   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS
Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Those concerned about the VAT status of boats post the disaster that is Brexit might like to look at this web page and follow through the links:

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/ne...m_medium=email

UK nationals might also want to bear in mind that as of 1 January 2021 they will no longer be able to rely on their EHIC for reciprocal health care. They will have to obtain their own insurance cover. The additional cost of which is all part of the non-existent Brexit "dividend".
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 06:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201126_145757.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	227647  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 07:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That only applies to pensioners who are currently resident in some eu countries that have an agreement on bilateral healthcare for their citizens in the uk,post dec 31
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 07:09   #4

Quote:
I am afraid that is misleading as far as most people are concerned. The actual text reads:
You can apply for or renew your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) until 31 December 2020.

From 1 January 2021 you may not be able to use a UK-issued EHIC to access healthcare in Europe. EHICs issued by other European countries are not affected.

If you’re on a trip to Europe that starts before 1 January, you’ll be able to keep using your UK-issued EHIC until the trip ends.

Some people can apply for a new UK EHIC that they can continue to use from 1 January 2021. People who can apply for the new card include:

UK students studying in the EU
some British State Pensioners who live in the EU and their families
EU nationals in the UK
Find out more about EHICs, including how to apply for the current EHIC and the new UK EHIC.
https://www.gov.uk/european-health-insurance-card

I suspect that you may fall within the pensioner provision. However, good luck with that as well. If my understanding is right, you will no longer get the increases. As is the case presently with, say Australia.

There is no bright side to any of this.
Old 26-11-2020, 08:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Customs Status of Boats: EU Commission shares Post-Brexit plans with RYA

Well seeing as it arrived today from Lisbon I will assume it means what it says..
Also, I have been in the Portuguese medical system for a few years and pay the same as the Portuguese.. eg: yesterday I had two x-rays of my left shoulder and two of the elbow that cost €3.60.. The day before had the treadmill cardio test and 24hr heart monitor thingy at a cost of €14.80.
Have not renewed my health visa since it expired in 2014.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 26-11-2020, 08:53   #6

Quote:
Well seeing as it arrived today from Lisbon I will assume it means what it says..
Also, I have been in the Portuguese medical system for a few years and pay the same as the Portuguese.. eg: yesterday I had two x-rays of my left shoulder and two of the elbow that cost €3.60.. The day before had the treadmill cardio test and 24hr heart monitor thingy at a cost of €14.80.
Have not renewed my health visa since it expired in 2014.
What you posted does not appear to be from Lisbon but from either the UK GOV site or the email that the UK sends to those it knows are living in an EU country. I get them for France.

What steps you take are a matter for you, but I would suggest that you might want to do some research. Starting with the Portuguese government site.

It would be sad for you if, instead of believing that the UK had an oven ready deal, as the Leave liars promised, you were to find yourself being baked by your next medical bills. Good for you if you fall within one of the exceptions and can get a new EHIC worth more than the paper and plastic card itself.
Old 26-11-2020, 09:26   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

teh other gotcha . is typically UK citizens talking out EU residency status ( lots happening in Greece on this right now ) , will be required to acquire permanent health insurance as the UK EHC will no longer be valid . This can be quite difficult as your domestic insurer will not do extended cover and local cover is typically associated with work contributions

again , there is no upside to any of this
Old 26-11-2020, 09:44   #8

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Would be nice to keep your political views out of the forum , brexit has not happened yet so the understanding of it being a disaster is an opinion , that frankly we are fed up hearing about all the crystal ball readers
AND I voted remain !,,
And your news is old news we have always known this since 2016 the referendum
Did you think we were still all going to be best friends
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 15:12   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
What you posted does not appear to be from Lisbon but from either the UK GOV site or the email that the UK sends to those it knows are living in an EU country. I get them for France.

What steps you take are a matter for you, but I would suggest that you might want to do some research. Starting with the Portuguese government site.

It would be sad for you if, instead of believing that the UK had an oven ready deal, as the Leave liars promised, you were to find yourself being baked by your next medical bills. Good for you if you fall within one of the exceptions and can get a new EHIC worth more than the paper and plastic card itself.
I beg to differ.. it landed in my post box today.
Lisbon Postal address and both sides of the letter below..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201126_230707.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	227676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201126_230747.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	227677  

Name:	IMG_20201126_230814.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	227678  

Old 26-11-2020, 15:22   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
teh other gotcha . is typically UK citizens talking out EU residency status ( lots happening in Greece on this right now ) , will be required to acquire permanent health insurance as the UK EHC will no longer be valid . This can be quite difficult as your domestic insurer will not do extended cover and local cover is typically associated with work contributions

again , there is no upside to any of this
Individual countries are taking their own paths regarding Brit citizens.. Portugal being one of them.
If your in France your in the do-do as Macron has his knickers in a twist because he'll have to dicker for fish in future.. not just arbitraly hoover up 80% of the fish in the Channel the way they have for decades..
Loadsa upsides from where I view things, just wish I was 40yrs younger to enjoy the ride.

Old 26-11-2020, 23:53   #11

Boat: Fisher 31, 9.4 M

Quote:
Those concerned about the VAT status of boats post the disaster that is Brexit might like to look at this web page and follow through the links:

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/ne...m_medium=email

UK nationals might also want to bear in mind that as of 1 January 2021 they will no longer be able to rely on their EHIC for reciprocal health care. They will have to obtain their own insurance cover. The additional cost of which is all part of the non-existent Brexit "dividend".
This is not the place to voice your politicsl opinion.
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 01:06   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
The VAT status of my yacht or that of the vast majority of boats in the UK hasn't changed nor will. So, its not as you say "a disaster" at all.

What has changed is we will be independent of the evil EU Empire just like hundreds of other countries, the US for example. So UK yachts visiting the EU will have to abide by rules, similar to the US, well ok that's fine.

Rules will change and new ones created or old ones brought back, a bit like the ones, for those who can remember, filling in the C1330 prior to and on completion of an overseas voyage. In return well we won't be spending £350m a day on membership of an exclusive club which perhaps could go to other causes at home. Minor problem with the EU budget now in deficit, so those left behind will have to stump up more in taxes or go without and as Boatman said, fish is suddenly going to get expensive in the EU.

The decision was made 4 years ago, best get on with it and see what the bright future holds for us. Would it have been nice to stay in the cosy little club? perhaps, perhaps not.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 01:25   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Perhaps Pete you might keep your nonsense propaganda to yourself. Once I see “ evil EU “ etc , you loose every shred of the tiny credibility you might have had.

Thanks
Old 27-11-2020, 02:49   #14

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Perhaps Pete you might keep your nonsense propaganda to yourself. Once I see “ evil EU “ etc , you loose every shred of the tiny credibility you might have had.

Thanks
This thread was started in a political vane. "the disaster that is Brexit" so you should expect some backlash to politically opinionated statements.

The majority of UK citizens feel that Brexit was and is a good idea hence the referendum result. Those selfish cruisers that disagree seem to be living in a foreign country on the back of being British while in the main not contributing to the health system in either.

Before the eu it was possible for most western and antipodean nationals to cruise "Europe" indefinitely by moving between "countries". There was no VAT or import duties on "visiting" boats. Yes, you might decided to have medical insurance just like you would in the 150 odd other countries in world.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 04:47   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Thanks

Tags
boat, customs