Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 00:17   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Cruising Turkey in 2017

I just want to give some insights about Turkey and recent situation here for those who consider cruising in Turkey this summer..

Until last year, the major concern was the terrorism but now (unfortunately) everyone has seen that this can happen anywhere. People also realised that Syrian war is 1.000 nm away from the cruising grounds of Turkey. BUT, Erdogan's increased power didn't help to the overall image of the country. As a result;

-we see much less Germans, more Russians and Britts, fewer Frenchs around. Overall, not more cruiser than last year but downfall in number of cruisers seems to have stopped.

-marina, hotel, restaurant prices are lower than last year in spite of stilll strong Turkish Lira.

-Boating and charter business is in terrible shape after 5-6 years of crisis; all of the multinational charter companies have either shot down their operations fully or moved big chunk of their fleets elsewhere. Several other companies had to stop their activities or got much smaller.
Small boat yards are out of Business.

-Since there are a lot of second hand boats around (mostly out of charter fleets) there could be nice opportunities for those who are hunting a second hand boat.

-the refugee issue is much less severe than it used to be in past years and both Greek and Turkish Coast guards are more vigilant. Keep yr VHF open, I haven't heard any boat being boarded but they may ask questions..

-I see many cruisiers (europeans in particular) who still believe that they can freely cruise between Greece and Turkey. This was in old good times, now both sides authorities are checking the papers regularly. In Simi, greek cost guard is forcing every boat to dock their station before even entering the port. If you use an agent, the cost of check in and out would be 140 € in Turkey and 200-250 € in Greece. You can save half of this money if you do it yrself. This process is much easier in some places, more complicated in some others..

-For wintering, Turkey could be a good option as most marinas and boat yards have cut prices by 20 to 40 %. Avoid the ones that are popular with locals, they still have a lot of demand..

Finally, the outlook for 2018 looks much better unless something happens in the meantime..

Fair winds..

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:56   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Cruising Turkey in 2017

Thanks for the excellent information, Yeloya.

For some time before I bought my present boat, I used to sail in Turkish waters every year, and I loved every minute of it. I look forward to getting back there as soon as I can.

The Turkish Aegean coasts are fascinating places, not the least because of the extremely friendly people you meet there. Politics changes, regimes come and go, but the people stay the same. I'm sorry that the present political situation is keeping people away.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 11:33   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge

Hi Yeloya

I have been sailing in Turkey for the past month, and can agree that it is a good cruising grounds, and that the Turkish people I have met are friendly and inviting. I have never felt threatened not felt any animosity.

I do however have an issue with the costs of marina berthing. In some places it is an eye watering €240 per night for my Lagoon, and rarely under €150, with no flexibility on price for short term stays. By comparison, prices in Greece marinas is about 1/3, and town harbours a fraction.

As a consequence, the few marinas I have visted in Tirkey are at best 75% full.

Personally, I would rather stay at anchor and put money into the local economy in other ways.

I was charged a €400 by an agent to organise my transit log in Antalya.

The Blue Card, whilst a worthy cause, is a pain, as pump out stations are not everywhere available.

I arrive in Marmaris tomorrow and may drop in on you for some local knowledge.
anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 12:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Antony,

I wonder where they charged you 240 € per night for 45 ft cat.. With few exceptions, like Milta Bodrum, currently the daily berthing fees are around 100 to 120 € max. (our rates in Marmaris are running at around 40 € a day.)
We do also have a pump out station.

Our in house agent is charging 140 € for clearing in or out. € 400 is impossible unless you had to pay some penalties for exceeding yr stay in Turkey or whatsoever.

I am currently in our base in Orhaniye, but if you need anything feel free come to us, for a beer or two. There is currently another aussie with his L 450, and another one on his way to us..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 13-06-2017, 16:13   #5

Hi Yeloya

Below are the costs for my cat in various marina in Turkey this year.

These prices were gathered in March this year, mostly via emails to the marinas, some vua online calculator.

In the marinas I have stayed at so far, this reflects what I have paid. In some marinas, there is an extra charge for electricity and gas.

Antalya
Setur Marina € 148

Kemer
G Marina Keme € 97

Finike
Finike Marina € 94

Kas
Kas Marina € 112

Fethiye
Yes Marina € 140
Ece Marina € 183

Göcek
D-Marin Göcek € 165
Skopea Marina € 106
Village Port € 112
Gocek Exclusive € 123

Marmaris
Netsel Marmaris € 168
Marmaris Yat € 70

Orhaniye
Martı Marina € 187

Gökova
Gökova Ören € 170

Bodrum
Bodrum Marina € 239
GULLUK MARINA € 143

Turgutreis
D Marin € 165

Palmarina
Palmarina € 216

Port Iasos
Port Iasos € 110

Didim
D Marin € 133

Kuşadası
Setur Marina € 140

Teos
Teos Marina € 125

Çeşme
Setur Çeşme € 174
Çeşme Marina € 177

Ayvalık
Setur Marina € 158
Old 13-06-2017, 16:21   #6

Wowie! Anthony those amounts should be in TRY. Right?!
I am shocked to hear you're being charged those rates. I only know Turkish prices from my own online research and visits on land. But that does seem really high.
Are you being charged 1.5 or 2xs the mono rate?
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 16:27   #7

Quote:
D-Marin Göcek € 165
Skopea Marina € 106
Village Port € 112
Gocek Exclusive € 123
Wow....those are some impressive fees.

We only paid 250 Turkish Lira (64 Euro) at Skopea last week for a Lipari.... (LOA 39' 2" (11.89 m.)
LWL 38' 8" (11.79 m.)
Beam 22' 1" (6.73 m.)
Old 13-06-2017, 16:27   #8

Btw, you may find this thread of use on ybw.com. Annual slip costs....but maybe it will still be helpful?

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...st-for-my-boat
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 16:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
... those amounts should be in TRY....
Are you being charged 1.5 or 2xs the mono rate?
No, prices are definately EURO. And these are the prices I paid in Finike and Fethiye. At Skopea, Gocek I managed to negotiate a 10% discount, but they charged for power and water. Antalya wanted approx €135 for each day onces my contract expired, so I departed.

In Turkey, prices for cat is based on length x beam. The Lagoon 450 is 109 square meters. There are also price bands, with increasing price per square meter at 90 and 120 square meters.

I know some of the marinas in Greece use a markup on mono rates which is a much cheaper formula
Old 13-06-2017, 23:10   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp0808 View Post
Hi Yeloya

Below are the costs for my cat in various marina in Turkey this year.

These prices were gathered in March this year, mostly via emails to the marinas, some vua online calculator.

In the marinas I have stayed at so far, this reflects what I have paid. In some marinas, there is an extra charge for electricity and gas.

Antalya
Setur Marina € 148

Kemer
G Marina Keme € 97

Finike
Finike Marina € 94

Kas
Kas Marina € 112

Fethiye
Yes Marina € 140
Ece Marina € 183

Göcek
D-Marin Göcek € 165
Skopea Marina € 106
Village Port € 112
Gocek Exclusive € 123

Marmaris
Netsel Marmaris € 168
Marmaris Yat € 70

Orhaniye
Martı Marina € 187

Gökova
Gökova Ören € 170

Bodrum
Bodrum Marina € 239
GULLUK MARINA € 143

Turgutreis
D Marin € 165

Palmarina
Palmarina € 216

Port Iasos
Port Iasos € 110

Didim
D Marin € 133

Kuşadası
Setur Marina € 140

Teos
Teos Marina € 125

Çeşme
Setur Çeşme € 174
Çeşme Marina € 177

Ayvalık
Setur Marina € 158
I guessed it right, the most expensive is Bodrum Milta..

These prices may not be 100% accurate though as some marinas are charging quite different prices for daily, monthly and yearly contracts. As you said some of them are charging extras for water and electricity some others don't. And finally, most of them have various promotions right now..

Anyway if you are looking for a relatively cheap marina, as a general guideline;

-stay away from places that are popular with turkish boat owners (Bodrum and Göçek)
-if you need works to be done on yr boat, Marmaris is by far the best location. In Kaş or Finike, Kusadasi, Ayvalık even in Fethiye or Orhaniye you will have limited options. Basic works (anti fouling, routine engine maintenance, etc) are available everywhere.
-the marinas closer to the airports will cost more;

Bodrum: 0,5 hour
Marmaris: 1,5 hour
Göçek: 0,5 hour
Kaş: 4 hours
Finike: 2,5 hours
Didim: 1 hour
Kusadasi: 1 hour

-one should also consider lift prices. They range from 7 €/sqm up to 15 €. Generally speaking, the boats that anybody can haul are cheap. The ones that can haul a 60 ft cat are limited and cost double or triple this price.

-some marinas allow DIY on yr boat some will allow limited works, some nothing.. In some marinas you can not even sleep on yr boat when yr on land..

All in all, everyones' needs are different and there is no marina that would fit to all and at a low price.

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 27-06-2017, 06:21   #11

Hi Yeloya,

I am planning to come to Fethiye, Gocek or Marmaris for Sept/Oct and plan to put my vessel on the hard over winter ( 8*mths). Can you or any others make a recommendation. I am not looking for a place to live, I am based in Australia, and will only be there for 3 months a year. Have a few prices so far, but discovered a huge range. Not looking for a 5 star, just some hardstand and access to trades, diy option and Dalaman airport to get home and back next year. Cheapest so far was Aganlar Shipyard/marina in Bodrum, which is getting further away from Dalaman airport.

Wayne
Silprowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 06:32   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Wayne,

If you send me yr boat's dimensions (LOA + beam) I can quote a price in our yard in Marmaris. We already have a few Aussies in the marina, you won't feel yrself alone here

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 27-06-2017, 06:46   #13

Hi Yeloya,

The boat is 11.9m with a 4m beam. She is a timber cat hull built in Fethiye 10 years ago. Needs to be blocked carefully. Weighs around 8000kg.

Looking to pull out at the end of Oct and back in around June 2018.

Photo attached - i think.

Regards

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HATI to Water.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	150775  
Silprowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 07:03   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Wayne,

It will be 2.950 € for 8 months of dry docking, including the haul out, launch and taxes.
PM me if you need more info.

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 20-07-2017, 23:09   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp0808 View Post
No, prices are definately EURO. And these are the prices I paid in Finike and Fethiye. At Skopea, Gocek I managed to negotiate a 10% discount, but they charged for power and water. Antalya wanted approx €135 for each day onces my contract expired, so I departed.

In Turkey, prices for cat is based on length x beam. The Lagoon 450 is 109 square meters. There are also price bands, with increasing price per square meter at 90 and 120 square meters.

I know some of the marinas in Greece use a markup on mono rates which is a much cheaper formula
Yikes I am 308 square meters.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Turkey