Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2018, 17:02   #1

Cruising/Schengen

Does anybody have first-hand knowledge about the benefits of obtaining a French long-stay visa versus bouncing in and out of Schengen countries? On a related note, can a "liveaboard" slip be considered the equivalent of renting an apartment? I have done a great deal of research but would like opinions from those who have been there/done that.
Papillongirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 18:14   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Cruising/Schengen

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...chengen+france
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 18:33   #3

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillongirlie View Post
Does anybody have first-hand knowledge about the benefits of obtaining a French long-stay visa versus bouncing in and out of Schengen countries? On a related note, can a "liveaboard" slip be considered the equivalent of renting an apartment? I have done a great deal of research but would like opinions from those who have been there/done that.
In our case, the French and Italian authorities were not prepared to consider a boat a place of residence. They insisted on a permanent address, which did not work out for our needs.

The whole notion of traveling the Schengen zone with a long-term visa from one of the member nations seems at best nebulous in terms of legality. Like so many things in Europe, it will probably come down to the mood of any given immigration official whom you happen to run into on the day.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 18:36   #4

Thanks for the link, john61ct, but as I mentioned in my post, I've done the research.

I'm hoping to gain knowledge from somebody who has first-hand experience in the difficulty of getting a carte de sejour as a US citizen versus the inconvenience of working around Schengen. A carte de sejour would allow me to spend a lot of time in France (which is fine) but it seems that it's a real PITA to get one, whereas living within the Schengen requirements is fairly straightforward, but you do have to make some fairly sizable treks across the continent to stay in compliance. Anybody out there made this judgement call and have insight?
Old 13-07-2018, 18:40   #5

Did you consider renting a cheapie apartment somewhere? Just wondering...
Old 14-08-2018, 06:52   #6

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

I came to the forum today to ask the exact same question, so rather than ask it again, I will just follow this thread.

I am also worried about trying to use our boat as an address for a long-term visa, but surely many people have already trodden this path. I'm hoping someone with first-hand knowledge of the process will chime in with some useful advice.

Renting a cheap apartment might be a good idea. And possibly cheaper than a slip. We intend to spend most of the time cruising, so a slip would be empty 100% of the time, but even a studio apartment would be useful for storing extra stuff, and for the occasional land-side break.

I will be going to the French Embassy in DC sometime in the next week or two to ask these very questions, so will report back when I have the answers.

Meanwhile...
Old 14-08-2018, 22:47   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Last year I was told in Greece, by an agent that said he got the info from the immigration authorities, that a long term marina contract is sufficient for extended visa to stay in Greece.
We did not check it in actual life.
Old 14-08-2018, 23:28   #8

I see the theory kicked around a lot but other than friend of a friend of a friend type stories...no document-able evidence it works from people that actually have done it and can tell us the process.

If it's out there I would love to hear about it but not holding my breath.

PS: While unlikely to be caught, technically, doesn't get you extended time beyond France...you are still under schengen limits for time spent in other countries.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 02:09   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I see the theory kicked around a lot but other than friend of a friend of a friend type stories...no document-able evidence it works from people that actually have done it and can tell us the process.

If it's out there I would love to hear about it but not holding my breath.

PS: While unlikely to be caught, technically, doesn't get you extended time beyond France...you are still under schengen limits for time spent in other countries.
Even if the stories are second hand, they still can have value - the stories and rumours can point you towards possible solution to explore...
Old 15-08-2018, 02:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Even if the stories are second hand, they still can have value - the stories and rumours can point you towards possible solution to explore...
You would think...but so far no success.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong and there is a simple cheap solution.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 03:56   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Or land you huge fines and probable expulsion for extended periods of time.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 16:56   #12

Hi - I am keen to know if I can use a marina address for the French long stay visa application. @jalmberg do you have an update from your visit to the embassy?

Thanks!
kayakmaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 08:28   #13

Boat: Beneteau 343 (34', 10.8m)

Me too! We're planning exactly this situation. I have talked to a lawyer who handles visas and he says it would be best to have a land-based address or you'll need a French sponsor - which can be problematic to get. You also have to remember that if you want to renew, it will always be done at the same place/District, so you want to get somewhere on your visa that is easy for you to get to.
Kenpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:02   #14

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Bouncing in and out of Schengen countries on a three month basis is hard to do.
So, i'm not sure that you really have a choice. The one year residence permit wil give you some cover, which is better than nothing.
I'd only fly in and out of the country in which you have the residence.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:40   #15

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Be aware that when you become an EU resident your boat might be liable for VAT and you cannot use the 18 month rule
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising