Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 05:49   #1
cruiser

Cruising Guide For Croatia and Montenegro?

Can anyone recommend a good cruising guide book for Croatia and Montenegro? We will be cruising there this coming summer and I want to get a head start by ordering a good guide book off Amazon.com.

Thanks

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 10:10   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Cruising Guide For Croatia and Montenegro?

We sailed both 2 years ago and used 777 -- it was brand new and accurate -- the Imray is really old and not very accurate any more - by the way don't overlook Albania - it is a bit difficult but Albania as a country in simply incredible

good luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 14:49   #3

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

You could also usefully look at the World Cruising Wiki at http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Croatia and http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Montenegro. Montenegro, in particular, is more up to date than most of the pilot books.

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 22-12-2015, 16:07   #4

Just one main advice, do not order anything at the restaurant that has not a price on the menù...

Gf and i: a big mixed sea grill with everything, clams, schrimps,an average sized sea bream, and much more 25 euro.

People from milan: 1 a little bigger than average's sea bream 50 euro...
1 fish =50 euro yes...

At the end of dinner of 6 person was like 223 euro...me wanted to give 220, if not 200 euro (obviously no recipt, only cash), Me, Gf, one our friend angry like the hell, the landlobber: no, it's ok, it's a fair price, may we left the tips

But in other part of honest croatian place you can get very honest and superb quality meal...

If you can move outboard, go to CASTEL village, on the edge of the slovenian edge, truffle on everything, fillet steak, bruschetta, pasta, all with truffle, 20/25 euro each person if you get from starter to dessert.
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 00:04   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Yes, 777 Harbours and anchorages is the only pilot you will need covering Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania. Nearly every cove, harbour and marina is covered, thousands of them. The format is very efficient with sketch charts with exploded detail and terse notes. Other guides cover far less in verbose detail.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 00:58   #6

Location: Sailing the Mediterranean for 5 years and now sailing in USA
Boat: Lagoon 450

I Second Chuckr and Rapanui's recommendation of the 777 publication. We cruised Croatia this year using a 2014 777 and also Imrays Adriatic Pilot.
777 became the go to publication as the information was much more current however we were using a 2014 edition and even some of the info was out of date so get the newest edition-I believe it is an annual publication.
riv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 06:49   #7
cruiser

Thank you for your contributions. I'll look online for the 777.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 08:06   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Hm - now called 888 Harbours and dont forget the Male Karte! (Official croatian charts for leisure boats)
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 08:56   #9

Location: Sailing the Mediterranean for 5 years and now sailing in USA
Boat: Lagoon 450

I am pretty sure 888 is the German version or more correctly 777 is an English translation of the 888. It will not make any difference if you google either you will find the publication
riv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 09:52   #10

Stefano ita:
In those Balkan countries they have "Class 2 Fish" which are normal single servings and currently cost about €10, and "Class 1 Fish" which is priced per kilo and is meant to be shared. They will usually serve a fish of a suitable size for the number of people seated, or you could ask how big the fish is. Those big mixed seafood platters are considered to be Class 1 fish and have always been very expensive.
If you're on a budget, why not eat your main meal at lunchtime when you can get a fixed price 3-course menu at much lower prices than they charge at night.

Kenomac:
Amazon have a book by Trevor Thompson which seems to be good. Google " Croatian waters pilot "
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 12:08   #11

Boat: Oyster 55

We cruised Croatia for 6 weeks in the last two years and used the 777 guide and the Imray Adriatic Pilot. The Adriatic Pilot didn't add much except for bulk and weight, but if you have both onboard, they sometimes complement each other.

There are so many wonderful harbors, villages, restaurants, etc. that it would be very difficult to make a list of "must see" places. That's the challenge of cruising Croatia. Everyone visits Dubrovnik, Split, and Trogir--and for good reason. But don't skip Korcula (a beautifully preserved medieval city and home of Marco Polo) , Polace on Milet (eat lamb under the bell), Hvar (nightlife for the beautiful people), Ston (second largest protective wall after the Great Wall of China and an interesting motor cruise through a long narrow channel) and further north Vrulje on Kornati (starkly different landscape and great fish dinners). We tried twice to see the Blue Grotto near Komiza on Vis, but weather defeated us both times. Next time I'll take a tour boat from Komiza.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 15:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofGlenans View Post
Stefano ita:
In those Balkan countries they have "Class 2 Fish" which are normal single servings and currently cost about €10, and "Class 1 Fish" which is priced per kilo and is meant to be shared. They will usually serve a fish of a suitable size for the number of people seated, or you could ask how big the fish is. Those big mixed seafood platters are considered to be Class 1 fish and have always been very expensive.
If you're on a budget, why not eat your main meal at lunchtime when you can get a fixed price 3-course menu at much lower prices than they charge at night.

Kenomac:
Amazon have a book by Trevor Thompson which seems to be good. Google " Croatian waters pilot "
Well, in all italy the restaunt (the real one, not a kind of home with who knows wich higienic condition or so what, 0 taxes paid) we have the same method or a mixed grill, or a fish at kilos (we don't have difference in first-second quality fish, just if fished naturally or in captivity), in fact in italy a mixed seafish grill like the one we had been would have been at least 40 euro...In another restaurant in croazia (very honest) i get seafood risotto for 10 euro, tasting better then a one that you can get for 17-18 euro in a upper class restaurant in italy. A lot dipend on the place where you go...But people are clever, especially in quite poor country like croazia were tourism is the main income, they knows boat=rich=whatever 3x...
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 21:24   #13

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Can anyone recommend a good cruising guide book for Croatia and Montenegro? We will be cruising there this coming summer and I want to get a head start by ordering a good guide book off Amazon.com.

Thanks

Ken

Ken,

Can't recommend a guidebook, but wanted to highly recommend Kotor in Montenegro. Absolutely stunning location surrounded by tall mountains with a great public dock that is well protected. The ancient Venetian walled city at the top of the hill is lit up at night and makes a beautiful backdrop when having cocktails or dinner in your cockpit. Fresh fruits, vegetables and bread every morning just across the street at the open market. Lots of good restaurants. Look up the area in google maps.

There is a large marina in Tivat that may or may not be fully in service, their advertising and website was a little inaccurate. You will want to confirm with them ahead of time if you want fuel. We had to go elsewhere because their fuel dock was not running at the time and the alternative location was a real challenge to get in and out of!

Hope this helps...
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 06:50   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Ken, I was cruising in Croatia in 2013 (northern part) and in 2015 (middle part) and can definitely confirm that the 777 guide is the one you should go for. I see lots of suggestions this thread with which i agree but wld also add that if you also visit the northern part there is an amazing grotto on western coast of Cres about half way up (take a torch) that is not as busy as the blue grotto on Komiza/Vis, plus it is fun to visit the roman amphitheatre in Pula if there is a good concert. I took my crew to a jazz concert there. I found the Kornati a bit desolate and disappointing apart from Vrulje which was charming and Smokvica (good restuarant but the one on RHS/E not the one on LHS/W). For a day of something different go up the river at Sibenik to the water falls at Skradin. No problems w air draft at the bridges. Best of luck.
Old 30-12-2015, 22:35   #15

Hi,

can you tell me what kind of sailing expiriance you like and i will give all Croatia sailing info. You can write me on mail and i will send you all data.
global_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, cruising