Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2013, 02:29   #31

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht
Re: CROATIA CRUISING PERMIT AND SOJOURN TAX?

For the avoidance of doubt, can I just confirm that the new Navigation, safety and pollution prevention fee will replace the existing Navigation safety, aids to navigation and chart fees from 1st January 2014.

This has been confirmed to me this morning by Branimir Mađer, head of the Department of Tourism at the Croatian Chamber of Economy.

Therefore the figures in my earlier posting and the comparisons made are correct.
Old 28-12-2013, 07:51   #32

Re: Croatia Cruising Permit and Sojourn Tax?

The regulations and formula for calculating the new Croatian Navigation, safety and pollution prevention fee, which applies from 1 January 2014, can be read at http://www.mppi.hr/UserDocsImages/NR...%204-12_13.pdf. Although entirely in Croatian, Google Translate gives a reasonable result.

If a better English translation becomes available, I will post it here.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:48   #33

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
The regulations and formula for calculating the new Croatian Navigation, safety and pollution prevention fee, which applies from 1 January 2014, can be read at http://www.mppi.hr/UserDocsImages/NR...%204-12_13.pdf. Although entirely in Croatian, Google Translate gives a reasonable result.

If a better English translation becomes available, I will post it here.

The new act has been published in Croatian offictial gazette in December, and is valid from 1st January 2014.

159 30.12.2013 Naredba o visini naknada koje pla?aju vlasnici pomorskih objekata u Republici Hrvatskoj
andrejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:01   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrejv View Post
The new act has been published in Croatian offictial gazette in December, and is valid from 1st January 2014.

159 30.12.2013 Naredba o visini naknada koje pla?aju vlasnici pomorskih objekata u Republici Hrvatskoj
Thanks, Andrej. It appears from Articles 5 & 6 that Croatian-registered boats are supposed to have paid the tax by the end of 2013, whereas foreign-owned yachts pay on arrival in Croatian waters. I presume foreign, non-resident owners of Croatian-registered yachts will probably have been notified of this by their marinas or boatyards.

It also appears from Article 12 that foreign-owned yachts whose owners have already paid the existing vignette fee don't have to pay the new tax until the expiry of their current vignette. Please let me know if this reading of the Article is incorrect, as a lot of skippers have been asking this question.

Best wishes,

GORDON
Old 02-01-2014, 04:28   #35

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
Thanks, Andrej. It appears from Articles 5 & 6 that Croatian-registered boats are supposed to have paid the tax by the end of 2013, whereas foreign-owned yachts pay on arrival in Croatian waters. I presume foreign, non-resident owners of Croatian-registered yachts will probably have been notified of this by their marinas or boatyards.

It also appears from Article 12 that foreign-owned yachts whose owners have already paid the existing vignette fee don't have to pay the new tax until the expiry of their current vignette. Please let me know if this reading of the Article is incorrect, as a lot of skippers have been asking this question.

Yes, that is correct. If they have paid the vignette in 2013, it's valid until the expiry date. Technicaly, those who have a boat moored in Croatian marinas, after the expiry of last years vignette, would have to pay also the new due for the remaining period of 2014.

I guess, that if they don't go out of the marina, nobody will go after them, If they don't pay it for 2014.

I also noticed, that this new act went really unnoticed in Croatian public. Nobody's talking about this new due on the forums..
andrejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:40   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis
Thumbs up Re: Croatia Cruising Permit and Sojourn Tax?

Happy to let you all know that we went today to the harbour master in Zadar and paid our fees for 2014 according to the new regulation as discussed here.

One thing to mention is that additionally to the navigation fee which is calculated as discussed earlier in this forum (e.g. for yachts <40m and engine<3000kW: 20L+2*Puk)
we got also charged

- Light dues
- Government admin fees
- Sea Information Chart

Overall it was significantly less than the fees paid in 2012/2013

See yourself in this quick comparison of fees for a 40ft yacht with a 29kW engine

Navigation Fee HRK 1225.00
Light dues HRK 480.00
Government Admin fee HRK 40.00
Sea Information Chart HRK 20.00
TOTAL HRK 1,765.00

Navigation Fee HRK 294.40
Light dues HRK 110.00
Government Admin fee HRK 40.00
Sea Information Chart HRK 20.00
TOTAL HRK 464.40

Additional to these fees comes also the sojourn tax based on the amount of days you want to cruise in Croatia (1wk, 2wks, 30days, 90 days, 1year). See earlier posts here for the exact amounts.

I also contacted the harbour master in Biograd (who was aware of this new regulation) and Sibenik (who were not aware of it yet).

Hope this clarifies things. Happy cruising everyone!
sailabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 14:50   #37

Thanks sailabroad. It's great to have confirmation from someone on the ground rather than relying on official documentation which may be subject to local 'interpretation' (as you found in Sibenik!).
Old 03-02-2014, 06:20   #38

Hello,

I am new on this forum. We living in the Netherlands.
We are owner of an Jeanneua Sun Odyssey 44i building year 2012. The "enjoy" is lying in Croatia sinds may last year.
This topic is imported for us because what we have to do now to stay in Croatia for the next years.
Can I do it by myself the paperworks, or do I need an Agent to fill in the papers. Is there someone to help me to make some things clear for us. Thank you.
Regards,
Frank.
frankpottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:55   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpottel View Post
Hello,

I am new on this forum. We living in the Netherlands.
We are owner of an Jeanneua Sun Odyssey 44i building year 2012. The "enjoy" is lying in Croatia sinds may last year.
This topic is imported for us because what we have to do now to stay in Croatia for the next years.
Can I do it by myself the paperworks, or do I need an Agent to fill in the papers. Is there someone to help me to make some things clear for us. Thank you.
Regards,
Frank.
Frank, if you're a Dutch citizen and the boat is Dutch-registered then you'll simply need to pay the new cruising tax plus the sojourn tax at the nearest harbourmaster's office next time you go out to the boat. The same would apply, in fact, even if that were not the case. The cruising tax will only be payable once your existing vignette (assuming you have one) expires.

It should be a simple, if bureaucratic exercise, and you shouldn't require any agent. Note that you may be asked for proof of VAT payment, though, now that Croatia is in the EU.

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 03-02-2014, 11:10   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
It should be a simple, if bureaucratic exercise, and you shouldn't require any agent. Note that you may be asked for proof of VAT payment, though, now that Croatia is in the EU.
They might, but I doubt it as if the boat is dutch registered any VAT issue is between the owner and Dutch customs, not croatian.

dave
Old 03-02-2014, 11:13   #41

Boat: Sunbeam 44

Don't be so sure : Postupak s plovilima namijenjenima razonodi
d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:30   #42

Hello,
Boat is paid in france and also the VAT is paid in france. This is an EU country so this is ok. Boat is registred in the Netherlands. The marina where the boat is lying we received a email that we must contact an agent to help us with the papers. The agent ask about 350 ex vat for his service, then is the boat legal in croatia.
When I calculate the price a must pay 220 euro incl vat. So the agent ask a lot of money I think. When it is so simple I cant do it on myself, go to the harbormaster and pay the vat.
regards FRank.
frankpottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:55   #43

Not sure whats involved - sounds like a customs office visit !
I imported last year.
Try Sinisa - Maritimus Consultant - Yacht surveys in Croatia. Honest Guy - he did my import - should tell you whats involved and whether you can do it yourself.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:38   #44

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis

Hello Frank,

we bought our Oceanis 40 last October (2013) here in Zadar.
The previous owner did the VAT in May 2013 in Croatia (I am sure by himself) and we did the Permit and Sojourn Tax as described in a post earlier here ourselves in January this year.

There were no issues, so I don't think you need to feed any money-hungry Croatian agent or dodgy wanna-be surveyors at all. They all ask for inflated prices for sure and mostly the service is pretty poor. We had a bad experience with our Croatian surveyor.

Be prepared and have all your documents with you.

For your info these are the documents we had to show:
- original registration papers
- proof of 3rd party insurance

Surprisingly they didn't ask for VAT paid proof (which I expected them to check as our boat is under Austrian flag) nor any proof of skipper certificate (which is mandatory in Croatia).

One warning: on our first attempt the dodgy harbourmaster dude tried to tell us that we need a Croatian translation of the insurance policy, the second time round he obviously forgot that and took the English version without any problem.
We also saw that someone slipped him HRK100 into the pile of documents he passed him over... seemed to work.

So if you come to Croatia definitely do all the paperwork yourself
Again be prepared, calculate how much you expect to pay and stick to your guns.

Maybe call the relevant harbourmaster office in advance and see if they already got the grips with that new system. They should as it is computer-based (and calculated) and nation-wide rolled out since January 2014.

Good luck.
Any more question, ask. Happy to answer.
sailabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:18   #45

I think you're all missing a point that is in play in Croatia at the moment.
This is not to do with VAT payment or Permit and Sojourn Tax.
And i think this is what Frank is referring to ? - i could be wrong but there is much confusion on this at the moment....

I believe it applies to EU VAT already paid boats that were in Croatian Temporary import prior to them joining the EU in July 13.

There now seems to be a procedure to get these boats back into 'circulation'
See : Postupak s plovilima namijenjenima razonodi
and : Zoll Kroatien: Deklarien muss (fast) jeder... - Sea-Magazine

which seems to require a 500 euro cost and a forwarder to do some customs stuff....

I am assuming that, if you went thru the Croatian 5% VAT scheme - you will have had to import your boat into Croatia and leave the Croatian Temporary Import Procedure - so this doesn't apply in this case

But its confusing .... so those with more info please chip in.

Tags
Croatia, cruising, permit, croatia