Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 10:10   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Croatia

Hello everybody, I am new here and I would like to send Ahoy to all cruisers. We are - me and my wife Ivana - from Czech Republic and we are just 5 years sailing beautiful area between Sibenik and Dubrovnik in Croatia. Because of relatively good knowledge of this region, I can offer to you, all fellow sailors, help. If will you have some questions about free anchorages, nice places, what to avoid etc. Do not hesistate to contact me.
:-)
Jura
Jura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:54   #2

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Croatia

Welcome to the CF! Would you please provide a list of good anchorages and information about sites cruisers should see?
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 03:26   #3

Hi

we are going to that area this summer, if you could let me know some good overnight stops with mooring buoys please. We like either deserted places or places with perhaps only a restaurant or two for some quiet nights with good shelter. We are there for 2 weeks and will be coming out of Sibenik in a 33ft yacht.

Thanks
Debsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 04:52   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Ahoy Jura&Ivana,

What is winter in Croatia like? How much snow? Does the sea freeze?

You keep the boats in the water or on dry?

Hugs from warm Canary Islands,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 10:22   #5

Ahoy sailors - Croatia has many nice places...but "The Bible" for sailing in Croatia is this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Harbours-Anch...einz+bestandig
There are also many bays where is buoy or anchor charged. List of charged bays /but not all!!!/ and more useful information are here:
Ministarstvo pomorstva, prometa i infrastrukture - Pomorstvo - Sidrišta - maps
and here where "sidriste" means "anchorage"/mainly buoys/:
Ministarstvo pomorstva, prometa i infrastrukture - Pomorstvo - Grafički prikaz nautičkih sidrišta
Praxis in Croatia is when you use buoy what belongs to restaurant, then this buoy is free, when you will visit restaurant. But last year on some places was buoy charged extra.
To Debsone: to offer you some place be more concrete about your trip...
To Bernakiel: We are on the water in Sibenik - Mandalina marina, sea is warm 10 Celsius no snow. We are going out from water each year in mid of April to do antifoul etc. - temperatures are then around 15-17 C. Croatia is not good place for living aboard in winter, there are big difference between nord very cold winds falling from Mountains and south little warmer winds. Much better and cheaper is south Italy or Malta. How much are Canaries for winter?
Jura
Old 25-01-2017, 02:07   #6

Hi Jura&Ivana,

Signed up for your thread! Croatia is on top of my destination list, since I can get there by car. I am a newbie though, no boat yet, just deams to pick up a nice one.
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 03:10   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jura View Post

How much are Canaries for winter?
Jura
Ahoy Jura,

Canaries in the winter are between 15 and 20 degrees centigrade. Mostly dry but once in say 6 years there is a wet winter. Sailing here sucks as we get a mix of strong winds and no wind. The strong winds are too strong for most cruisers; no wind is even worse as we always get big swell here and so when there is no wind most cruisers opt for a bar. In the Med one can at least motor on a flat sea.

And we do not have the lovely neighbourhood you have - in Croatia you are not just in a lovely place but also with immediate access to further areas like Greece, Turkey, Italy, etc. And you have better food too, I guess.

Meanwhile, from Canary Islands there is nowhere to sail to (and back) - too far to Europe, too risky in Africa, very hard upwind back from Cabo Verde and way too far for an overnighter to Barbados. Food (ingredients) is fine BUT local cuisine is non existent. This is no France.

So ... you are blessed. We have not been to Croatia yet but sure will visit and enjoy in due time.

Hugs from here,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 04:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jura, & Debsone.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 05:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
And we do not have the lovely neighbourhood you have - in Croatia you are not just in a lovely place but also with immediate access to further areas like Greece, Turkey, Italy, etc. And you have better food too, I guess.
Absolutely agreed, you basically have the entire Mediterranean except the people-smuggling areas along the African coast and the war-thorn Syria. The safe and enjoyable region is as big as the Caribbean from Panama to the Bahamas. Full of culture, great food everywhere, realistic prices (except those berthing fees in croatia...). Also easy access from central Europe. However, that also means a crowded August.

Quote:
Meanwhile, from Canary Islands there is nowhere to sail to (and back) - too far to Europe, too risky in Africa, very hard upwind back from Cabo Verde and way too far for an overnighter to Barbados.
True, the canaries are more for the ocean-crossers. It is a small region by itself though, from Alegranza to Hierro (maybe count Madeira?) there are quite a few things to see. Nut also true, the open ocean is not for a dinghy...
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 05:26   #10
cruiser

We will be in Croatia for most of the summer, send us a PM anytime.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 13:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jura View Post
Hello everybody, I am new here and I would like to send Ahoy to all cruisers. We are - me and my wife Ivana - from Czech Republic and we are just 5 years sailing beautiful area between Sibenik and Dubrovnik in Croatia. Because of relatively good knowledge of this region, I can offer to you, all fellow sailors, help. If will you have some questions about free anchorages, nice places, what to avoid etc. Do not hesistate to contact me.
Jura
I am taking a party out of Dubrovnik for a week in June (17-23).
One of the places that they want to visit is Cavtat, which I haven't gone into before.

Is this a good choice?
What sort of mooring fee should I expect (boat is 12 metres)?

Martin
Goodall_M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 17:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodall_M1 View Post
I am taking a party out of Dubrovnik for a week in June (17-23).
One of the places that they want to visit is Cavtat, which I haven't gone into before.

Is this a good choice?
What sort of mooring fee should I expect (boat is 12 metres)?

Martin
nice place, it looks like French Riviera.

Anchorage with Buoys (10 kn/m)
royalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:13   #13

Hi Jura and Ivana,

funny enough, my wife is from Czech republic, i'm from Slovakia, but we both live in London. Been in Croatia number of times. Just to name few places worth seeing:

Primosten
Split
Trogir
Dubrovnik
Marina Frappa/Zmajevo oko
Krka national park
Plitvice lakes national park
Kornati national park
Zlatni rat beach
Bisevo blue grotto
Otok Krk
Bubu delaMancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:01   #14

Hi Martin,

We was in Cavtat 3 years ago, I was on anchor, but I think mooring on buoy could be between 20-30 Kn/m as Cavtat is popular and this is port of entry too and many sailors are waiting till the morning to sail to Monte Negro. I think worth of visit near Dubrovnik are islands Lopud, Kolocep and Sipan very nice places and free anchoring :-)

Best Jura
Old 22-04-2017, 09:53   #15

seems that soon there will be no more "free lunch" in Croatia....

ACI: Zabranite sidrenje izvan marina; Vlasnici malih brodova: To bi bi bila katastrofa > Slobodna Dalmacija

....and Google translate.....

ACI: Prohibit anchoring outside the marina;We put anchoring ban on the coves so that the guests do not leave garbage.In the Croatian part of the Adriatic, especially in attractive bays and coves, the state must urgently set up boards with a warning about anchorage ban! This would be the first step to discipline all the more numerous yachts that circulate our Adriatic, making the mess and leaving garbage, and that neither the state nor the marinas have any financial benefit - says Ante Violić, ACI Director and President of the Association Council of Croatian Marinas At the Croatian Chamber of Commerce.. At the full anchorages, the virgin coves in which yachts do not pay the kuna, the directors of Croatian marinas from Cavtat to Pula warned.

The Adriatic is interesting for foreign sailors because they can be anchored or tied wherever they come to mind.The better acquaintances are not be surprised by the behavior of the yacht owners, especially the foreigners. Croatian Adriatic, otherwise, is considered a paradise for boaters. There they can do what they like. Actually, all that is forbidden to their home. And anchors where you come to mind, drob the anchor, and even throw away the waste, and do not pay one single kuna. And, uh, sorry, punishment not to speak. What can be done in our part of the Adriatic, and nowhere else, the Nautical Association will ask the competent ministry, and also the Government of the Republic of Croatia, to introduce more orders.
royalstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia