Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 03:09   #1

Clearance from last destination port - non-EU vessels

I wonder if anyone can enlighten me on the procedure for departing a Portuguese port to cross the Atlantic to Antigua. I have spent a great deal of time here in Faro trying to obtain a clearance document from the Authorities here in the Faro region, but to no avail - the marina staff (Vilamoura) have no idea at all, neither do the Maritime Police here at Vilamoura or in Faro where I went last week.

On entry to Antigua I will need something to show which was the last port departed from, and apart from stamps in our passports (but these just show that two people left the country), and a Livrete di Transito that confirms the vessel arrived here in the proper manner (which I obtained two weeks late because the marina had no idea one was needed for a foreign-registered vessel) - there doesn't seem to be any other document to obtain on departure here in Faro that shows this was the last port of call. The marina will give me a document that shows when we left the marina, but that is not an official document as it is a private organisation.

Is there anyone out there who knows what document I should be asking for and from whom to obtain it? Or are the exit stamps in our passports all that is needed on entering Antigua? The boat is Australian registered - I bought it recently in the Canaries and am sailing her back to Australia over the next year - this is the first time I have encountered this issue. Many thanks.
Dolphin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Clearance from last destination port - non-EU vessels

Your passport stamps will be adequate and your last marina reciept will also provide evidence of time/date of departure if going direct nonstop.
Be grateful.. the USA does not stamp your passport nor does it provide a Zarpe.. all you have is your last marina bill.
If you stop at any of the islands on the way like Azores, Madeira or Canaries/Cape Verde they all come under Spanish or Portuguese state control and if stamped out of the Continent you will have to go through the EU Immigration process again.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:59   #3

Re: Clearance from last destination port - non-EU vessels

Very many thanks Boatman61 - really appreciate your advice on that one. Good point re calling in at Canaries/Azores etc. and having to re-enter the EU. We are planning on doing the crossing in one go, but if we had to stop for something I'll remember to clear-in again.
Cheers.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:59   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I can't help you with the Portuguese departure, but when we arrived in Antigua last year the customs and immigration agents kind of flipped out that we hadn't cleared out of the Canary Islands. I gave them the same "there wasn't anyone to clear out with" as you will and she produced records of other boats with clearance papers from the Canaries. But, it only was about a 5 minute problem and then we were stamped in and drinking cocktails.

You might try to clear in at Jolly Harbor instead of English Harbor. They seemed much more relaxed when we cleared out.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:14   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin999 View Post
I wonder if anyone can enlighten me on the procedure for departing a Portuguese port to cross the Atlantic to Antigua. I have spent a great deal of time here in Faro trying to obtain a clearance document from the Authorities here in the Faro region, but to no avail - the marina staff (Vilamoura) have no idea at all, neither do the Maritime Police here at Vilamoura or in Faro where I went last week.

On entry to Antigua I will need something to show which was the last port departed from, and apart from stamps in our passports (but these just show that two people left the country), and a Livrete di Transito that confirms the vessel arrived here in the proper manner (which I obtained two weeks late because the marina had no idea one was needed for a foreign-registered vessel) - there doesn't seem to be any other document to obtain on departure here in Faro that shows this was the last port of call. The marina will give me a document that shows when we left the marina, but that is not an official document as it is a private organisation.

Is there anyone out there who knows what document I should be asking for and from whom to obtain it? Or are the exit stamps in our passports all that is needed on entering Antigua? The boat is Australian registered - I bought it recently in the Canaries and am sailing her back to Australia over the next year - this is the first time I have encountered this issue. Many thanks.
As far as I know, both Vilamoura and Faro are entry ports and as such should have customs offices.
The customs is the office to issue departure documents for a boat, not the immigration police (that would deal with the crew papers only).
Old 10-11-2018, 10:38   #6

Yes that's what it says on Noonsite, and they do have a customs office at vilamoura marina, but there is never anyone there. The staff on the marina couldn't say when they would be there either. When we arrived we did the usual stuff with the marina showing boat docs etc., but the marina isn't an official organisation but a private company. Then someone from the marine police looked at our Australian passports which had been stamped on entry at Madrid Airport. So i went into Faro to get my entry papers sorted for the boat, after finding out on line that there was a document that should have been provided by vilamoura marina on arrival ( the lady there said she had worked there 25 years and had never heard of anything like an entry document for a foreign vessel!), a bit late but Vilamoura Marina hadn't any idea what to do for an international boat, and I asked at Faro about checking out. Even in faro I was basically told there isn't any document for leaving - just passports stamped. The marine police didn't know what I was on about either. You could bring anything into Vilamoura marina by boat and nobody would ask you anything. All I was asked on the entry application was about sick people on board! The marine police are turning up specially to see me off when I depart, and will stamp my passport - but that's all I can obtain, so I will keep in mind the gin and tonics coming up, when I have explained the situation to the Antiguan authorities !!! Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:44   #7

Thanks for the info - yes that's what i was afraid of. It doesn't surprise me that they want to know where a boat has come from and show evidence - Portugal is very slack indeed when it comes to border security. Please see my reply to Meirriba, which tells a bit more of the difficulties I have encountered. The person in the marina wasn't at all interested in my concerns - everyone passes you to someone else - even the police told me to go back to the marina - you go round in circles, but nobody knows or cares ! I have given up now and am relying on the feedback that it should be OK, even if I have to explain ti all again and again when I arrive! Entry formalities to various countries seem to be laborious and time-consuming, according to reports I have heard from other people. Many thanks for your input.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:55   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin999 View Post
Thanks for the info - yes that's what i was afraid of. It doesn't surprise me that they want to know where a boat has come from and show evidence - Portugal is very slack indeed when it comes to border security. Please see my reply to Meirriba, which tells a bit more of the difficulties I have encountered. The person in the marina wasn't at all interested in my concerns - everyone passes you to someone else - even the police told me to go back to the marina - you go round in circles, but nobody knows or cares ! I have given up now and am relying on the feedback that it should be OK, even if I have to explain ti all again and again when I arrive! Entry formalities to various countries seem to be laborious and time-consuming, according to reports I have heard from other people. Many thanks for your input.
My advise is to write your own statement about leaving. Make it as complete as can be. Mention passport numbers and crewlist, boat registration numbers, date, year place, sailplan, whatever. It can be hand written if you wish. The important part is that you have it stamped and signed by a Portugese custom official. That should do it.
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:55   #9

Boat: Sailboat

You could always go to a french island first, Guadeloupe in your case. They don't want to see any Zarpe/exit document but will issue one leaving to the next island.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:09   #10
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
You could always go to a french island first, Guadeloupe in your case. They don't want to see any Zarpe/exit document but will issue one leaving to the next island.
100% agree. I forgot to add that earlier. The French don't care where you came from.

Tags
destination