Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2019, 08:41   #1

Check in Greek Islands

Hi everyone,
We are starting for a month cruising starting from Turkey to 5 Greek Islands and Sardinia.
Can you please tell me if I have to check in each island to go on land or after cheching in first Greek Island no need to check in others and pay fees?

Thank you,
chakil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 21:45   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Check in Greek Islands

The formal requirement is to check in in every island at the port police office. They will ask you and (record it on your DEKPA or Transit Log) what is your next destination. However, in practice, you may skip an island or two. When asked about the missed destination say you have changed your mind and spent the time in bays on anchor. This is not legal!
No fees due to the police. However port authority will ask for a few € as payment for quay use. This is collected almost everywhere.
Exeption to the above we met in the Ionian. The port police in Lefkada wrote our next destination as 'the Ionian' and said that we do not need to visit port police offices as long as we do not leave the Ionian sea.
Old 27-07-2019, 21:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
The formal requirement is to check in in every island at the port police office. They will ask you and (record it on your DEKPA or Transit Log) what is your next destination. However, in practice, you may skip an island or two. When asked about the missed destination say you have changed your mind and spent the time in bays on anchor. This is not legal!
No fees due to the police. However port authority will ask for a few € as payment for quay use. This is collected almost everywhere.
Exeption to the above we met in the Ionian. The port police in Lefkada wrote our next destination as 'the Ionian' and said that we do not need to visit port police offices as long as we do not leave the Ionian sea.
Thank you very much.
I just saw that you have a Lagoon 400 which we are planning to buy and you are from Israel where we are planning Aliyah
Do you have Israeli flag on your boat ? Is there any any tax advantages or the opposite?
Old 29-07-2019, 00:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakil View Post
Thank you very much.
I just saw that you have a Lagoon 400 which we are planning to buy and you are from Israel where we are planning Aliyah
Do you have Israeli flag on your boat ? Is there any any tax advantages or the opposite?
I have an USA flag.
Any foreign flagged boat that enters Israel, and spends over 3 month in the country, is subject to Israeli taxation.
The tax rate is 17% VAT + 15% luxury tax (one tax on top of the other, i.e. 34.55%!).
Hope it does not stop your plans of making Aliyah...
Old 29-07-2019, 01:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I have an USA flag.
Any foreign flagged boat that enters Israel, and spends over 3 month in the country, is subject to Israeli taxation.
The tax rate is 17% VAT + 15% luxury tax (one tax on top of the other, i.e. 34.55%!).
Hope it does not stop your plans of making Aliyah...
No but I think its better to exit after 3 months
Is it 3 months in a year time or you have exit after each 3 months?
I did know that, thats too much
Old 29-07-2019, 05:01   #6

Quote:
No but I think its better to exit after 3 months
Is it 3 months in a year time or you have exit after each 3 months?
I did know that, thats too much
Getting out is possible only once. It does not start a new term like the EC. Once you come back you have to pay the tax immediately. Many foreign flagged vessels left Israel as a result and found berths in Cyprus, Greece or Turkey.
Old 29-07-2019, 05:50   #7

Thats not a good thing. I dont know why but they are trying to make lfe harder for cruisers in any part of the world. Changing rukes , adding new taxes.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:56   #8

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Hi everyone,
We are starting for a month cruising starting from Turkey to 5 Greek Islands and Sardinia.
Can you please tell me if I have to check in each island to go on land or after cheching in first Greek Island no need to check in others and pay fees?

Thank you,
You will need to check in at your first place of landing. I presume that you are not EU VAT paid. So you will need to apply for Temporary Import of the yacht and also a Transit log. You will also need to buy the e-TEPAI cruising tax. Probably best to get an agent to do it if you want it done quickly. Its a monthly tax 1-30th of month. DO NOT attempt to under quote your length, a couple were fined by KOS customs a lot of money because they got the calculations wrong.

BUT DONT BE PUT OFF, the aegean islands are the best cruising in the Med.

If you want more information you could join the UK Cruising association - they publish a lot of info and have a Cruising App - Captains Mate which shows uptodate data on ports and anchorages around the world - but particularly useful to first timers in the Greek Islands.
https://www.theca.org.uk/join

Enjoy greek waters
Chris Robb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greek islands