Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 12:25   #1

Boat: Grand Banks 32
Chartering in Croatia?

Hi all,

We are looking at chartering (probably a big cat for 6 plus cook) in Croatia next year. Would like advice on:
1. best location
Split?
Dubrovnic?
One way?
2. Good and/or bad charter companies?

I have looked at the Croatia-related threads here but don't see much regarding charting, so would love to hear from people with real experience there.

Thanks!
Oldersalt
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:30   #2
cruiser

Re: Chartering in Croatia?

Either city is a perfect starting point, with the best islands to see just short day hops. You're going to have a great time!
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 14:53   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldersalt1944 View Post
Hi all,

We are looking at chartering (probably a big cat for 6 plus cook) in Croatia next year. Would like advice on:
1. best location
Split?
Dubrovnic?
One way?
2. Good and/or bad charter companies?

I have looked at the Croatia-related threads here but don't see much regarding charting, so would love to hear from people with real experience there.

Thanks!
Oldersalt

Dubrovnic...…... Dubrovnik with K, that aside I would go for Split, much more islands near by. Dubrovnik area, nothing special. apart Dubrovnik itself and Cavtat nothing else worth mentioning. there is so called Elaphite (Elafiti) islands, 5 of them and Island of Mljet but nothing special.

https://split.gg/elaphiti-islands/

Personally, I would go one way. From Split to Dubrovnik.

Especially because prevailing wind during the day , Maestral (Croatian) or Mistral (NW) .
Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 15:51   #4

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

Hi,
Based on my experience is one way trip the best you can get. The area from Split to Dubrovnik excellent part of Adriatic but it is a ditance in between them. Depends if you are charterin one week or more. For one week is one way the best option but I'm not sure you'll be able to find anybody offering this in Croatia especially in high season. It is almost a standard to return a charter boat the same location.
If you are stick with that situation I would suggest you Split, there are mo options around Split for a week or 2 sailing.
For one way charter you may try Ultra Sailing they are based in Split & Trogir (both nearby the airport) but they have a branch in Dubrovnik too. You can try to talk to them directly. Based on my experience they might be flexible enough to manage that for you. I use their services for more than 4 years and it always worked very well.
Enjoy your trip
MartinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 23:12   #5

Trogir, near split has lots of charter companies. Look at Waypoint charters.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 09:00   #6

Boat: Najad 373

Split, because there is very little offering out of Dubrovnik unless you get a boat delivered there
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 10:57   #7

Boat: Privilege 435, Catamaran

Hi Oldsalt,
So here is the thing about Croatia. Italy-Rome has lots of ruins, but you have to pay to see them with all the masses. Croatia is filled with old Rome and the Croatians are still living in and around them. Almost everyone speaks some English

I keep my catamaran in Split. All good suggestions. Mine would be to definitely charter out of Trogir. it is 15min. drive from the airport There are lots of good charter companies there. Split has the Diocletian Palace, also very nice, Plus many good Islands to sail too around Trogir and down past Split. Trogir is a mini Dubrovnik, But Dubrovnik is a must see. If you have the time rent a car,(about 21/2hr drive) and do an overnite in Dubrovnik after the charter. The wind probably will not cooperate for sailing in both directions. Its an easy drive and you'll get to see a beautiful country. Primosten, north of Trogir is also a nice sail. If you can, go in May or September. The wind is better,and Europe isn't on vacation yet. Feel free to PM me any other questions. Just go!!!
Bennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 16:53   #8
cruiser

Something interesting....

https://vimeo.com/289054867

https://www.thedubrovniktimes.com/ne...ik-this-summer
Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 13:57   #9

Boat: Hunter 33.5'

i've been looking into just this trip for Sept of 2020. I've contacted Navigare Yachting (used them in BVI last Feb) and they will offer any of their boat "one way" for an additional 600 Euro.

we're thinking about either Navigare or Pitter, but i'm sure there are many. First hand testimonials/recommendations would be welcome here! trying to keep it reasonably priced with a 40' cat.

Seems many more boats available near Split/Trogir, and not so much near Dubrovnik. If we do one-way, it'll be a southern sail. But at 100+ miles, and winds not nearly as reliable as the BVI, we might be pushing it for a one week charter and might opt to just sail the Split area and hit Hvar/Viz etc and then just do Dubrovnik either front or tail end of trip by car.

Any advices??
i-Zapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 15:01   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400

If only one week I would sail in the Split area and take a car to Dubrovnik.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 15:22   #11

Boat: Lagoon 440

Split is perfect for sailing, Croatia has a number of charters working there, you can go local or with an agent both work well as its a very popular sailing destination nowadays.

Tags
charter, Croatia