Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2018, 23:26   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Cat or Mono for holding value

Hi Kenomac. Not the case in Australia. The major multihull dealer had its best year ever in 2018.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 01:41   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Hi Kenomac. Not the case in Australia. The major multihull dealer had its best year ever in 2018.
Please re-read the original post. The OP wants to purchase and eventually sell a boat near Morocco, not Australia. Like me, he probably couldn’t care any less about your 2018 catamaran market half way around the world. Besides, he’s looking ahead... not behind.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 02:01   #18

I feel that once a boat reaches about 10 years old, condition becomes more of a factor than age in influencing prices. Ie. a well maintained 12 year old boat could fetch a higher price than a rough 8 - 10 year old of the same model.

So buying older, if you look after it, could result in little depreciation.

However, looking after a boat that age could cost a bit. That's about the age when standing rigging needs replacing, for example.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 02:09   #19
cruiser

Boats are like cars, which is why you see ten year old Bentleys with very low miles selling for 1/10 their original purchase price... about the same price as a Honda SUV. Buyers shop price rather than quality, and boats are a depreciating luxury item most people don’t need.

The OP should plan on the possibilty of either keeping the boat following Morocco or accepting a significant loss following the sale.
Old 28-12-2018, 03:03   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Not so much market saturation, but the market for used boats is dead. The stock markets worldwide going into what will probably be a longish bear market and/or correction in 2019, and rising interest rates that will effect the US and worldwide housing markets. ......

Please re-read the original post. The OP wants to purchase and eventually sell a boat near Morocco, not Australia. Like me, he probably couldn’t care any less about your 2018 catamaran market half way around the world. Besides, he’s looking ahead... not behind.
My apologies, I just saw noted reference to WORLDWIDE
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 03:05   #21

Boat: 29 ft

How about buying an older monohull, say 10 - 25 years old but of quality build? Size related maintenance cost should be lower than a cat, value development is not depreciation dependent any more but just condition and market driven and initial outlay is also lower. If you look around, you should find a nice one. A Halberg Rassy or a Najad or something like that will normally hold their value well.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 03:09   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Buy real estate...
A boat is not a good investment.
In Morrocco do you have any experience of buying property in North Africa?

Rather than spend $250 for a two year why not choose a cheaper yacht, perhaps something like this:

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...dard%20listing

Don't forget many marinas in Europe charge in bands, so 10 - 12m and 12-14m so think carefully about the length.

Also as Ken said, there is a much bigger market for people who can afford E65k when you come to sell compared to say E200k. Worth thinking about to re-sell.

Me, I would choose something like this:

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...nced%20listing

Something a bit more solid and indestructable for lying against old harbour walls.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...nced%20listing
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:56   #23

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Based on my own casual observations, I think a well built and maintained popular manufacturer/model cat or monohull purchased used at the 4 to 5 year old mark and sold within another 4 to 5 years if maintained well will be on the low end of the depreciation curve. I have been told from several brokers that the rule of thumb for a cat is 10% depreciation in the first year and another 5% per year for the next 4 years. So at the 5 year mark this would be a 30% total depreciation. But here's the catch, for a cat at the 5 year mark you can expect your maintenance costs to really escalate and typically be higher than a monohull. Every $ of maintenance, equipment, and operating costs will be a total loss.

Bottom line, and this is just my sense, buy a used boat at the 3 to 5 year old mark that you will enjoy, meets your requirements, and you can afford to maintain and operate. Never look at your total outlay, just understand the $'s you are spending pale in comparison to the joy you will get in return. Life is short, go sailing.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 12:39   #24

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Depending much on location, to berth a cat can be a LOT more expensive or not even available. If need to be in a specific location would want to know ahead of time of boat purchase.
This is something to think about exclusive of costs. If you are planning on living aboard this boat for 2 years or more - are you envisioning it at a dock rather than moored out? This may be a deciding factor relative to cats vs. monohulls.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 12:50   #25
Marine Service Provider

You answered your own question about as accurately as any of us could. You said:

"We'll probably have $200K to $250K to put into the purchase. This would get us into a 10 year old 40' ex-charter cat or a much newer 40'-42' mono.'
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 13:04   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Haven't you heard the saying "a boat is a hole in the ocean you throw money into" ?
Another vote to buy a house. However, here in NZ my guess is cats hold their value a little better but have no idea re Med
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 13:12   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Haven't you heard the saying "a boat is a hole in the ocean you throw money into" ?
Another vote to buy a house. However, here in NZ my guess is cats hold their value a little better but have no idea re Med
They may even hold their value better than a house in NZ. Wow! The market there seems dramatically over inflated to me...with median home prices hovering at just under $1M!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 14:29   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
My apologies, I just saw noted reference to WORLDWIDE
Thanks your polite response, especially since I could’ve been nicer on mine. I’ll try to do better in the future.

Cheers

Ken
Old 28-12-2018, 14:41   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
They may even hold their value better than a house in NZ. Wow! The market there seems dramatically over inflated to me...with median home prices hovering at just under $1M!
Off topic but it's a place for corrupt communist party officials ( bit redundant saying corrupt) to launder their $$ investing in NZ real estate. The big surge was when NZ was led by an ex merchant banker. His mates in banking love the huge mortgages. Now, sadly IMO, we are wedded to the system.
That explains the ridiculous prices. Australia is going the same way
Old 28-12-2018, 14:47   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to imply cats hold their value better than a house! just a monohull .lol
However as other posters pointed out has no relation to real estate market in Morocco or boats in Med