Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2016, 18:09   #16

Boat: between boats
Re: Canaries or southern Spain to leave the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pakes View Post
Just a few suggestions from someone who is also sailing across the Atlantic next year. Being Australians we are also affected by the dreaded Schengen Agreement.

Have you considered Portugal. Our boat is in a boatyard at Lagos. We can live on it, work on it, plus the yard has plenty of tradesmen. Good bathroom facilities. Great staff. Portimao is also nearby and they have a big yard, tradies, etc but not so close to town. Some Spanish yards will not let you work on your own boat so it's worth checking just in case you were planning on doing so.

Almerimar is popular but I'm not sure if you can live on the boat in their yard - suggest that you check their website.

As for Schengen. If you are concerned about still being considered to be in Europe when leaving Spain or other Schengen country, and while cruising to Canaries, plus time in Canaries total being more than three months, then you might like to consider visiting Morocco eg Restinga Smir (in Med opposite Gibraltar), or Rabat on west coast. Google: mohammedia marina morocco. This way you get to exit Schengen from Spain, sign into and out of another non-EU country, and time cruising to Canaries doesn't count. We used Restinga Smir where there is an immigration person at the marina - very easy. I don't know that if you signed out of Spain and proceeded direct to Canaries that you would be considered to be not on Schengen time. When we signed into the Azores and sailed across to Lisbon in Portugal that all counted as time in Schengen countries. We didn't have a concern as we put the boat in a yard soon after and flew home.

Hope this helps.
Dave
Thanks for reply David. Yes i was pretty gutted when I found out Canaries were included in the 90 days schengen. Good advice on the morroco stop as even with the first leg i will arrive in Greece late april so even early august arrival in Canaries will be pushing it now and ill need all my transit days to be outside schengen for sure. I suppose gibraltar serves the same purpose Might have to call into malta too on same basis.

What a stupid law. I left my boat in greece a month earlier than ideal this year to comply and lucky too as athens immigration at departure did count the days on passport this time. 1200 euro fine apparently. Well they didnt get that and the local tavernas/ shops etc missed out on a bit too!
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 18:17   #17

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Well this is a good thread to join. John, I think we will be joining you next year. 6 years in the Med is enough and I need to wander around a bit. Keep me updated with your plans. Maybe if Boatman is unemployed we can hire him to do gardenage in Portugal. I'm not too concerned about leaving South of Spain or Gibraltar in November for the Canaries, sailing around there for a few weeks, then heading across. Kept this thread posted with your plans.
David
Thats great Dave will be good to catch up again mate.

Obviously plans will change a fair bit between now and then but plan to leave Greece end of May/ early June at this stage and then leave the boat for a few months from August due to home duties. Then crossing in December.

Would also like to spend some time in the canaries ( i hear the wave kitesurfing can be pretty epic) but at this stage thats looking difficult due to the visa. Just a few weeks over not enough to justify the whole extended visa hoop jumping schmozzle even if its possible while moving around between countries a fair bit)

We ended up hauled out in Preveza again - how about you?

cheers
John/Barra
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 20:33   #18

Boat: 47 Vagabond

I would suggest taking the boat to Menorca. Very very inexpensive moorage in Menorca and the passage to Gibraltar is not bad. You could contact Steven at Club maritimo. That's the local Yacht Club in Menorca. He's an English-speaking lad from Utah, and extremely helpful.
The dangerous thing about Menorca is you may not want to ever leave.
Have a super trip.
VAGABOND47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 10:11   #19

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

I think David Pakes post is very informative and highlights some issues with Spanish marinas. I don't believe any Spanish marinas allow an owner to stay aboard the boat while in the boatyard (it is an insurance issue). That said, I know of at least one that would tolerate it for a short period of time (maybe a month or so). Also some Spanish boatyards don't allow owners to do their own work. However, many do, and even some that don't, will allow it provided your insurance specifically covers your activity in the boatyard.

I would add Varadero Punta Europa and Puerto Sherry, both located in the town of El Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain. The town lies in the bay of Cadiz, and is well connected by rail, bus. The nearby town of Jerez has an airport that has flights to Madrid, Barcelona, and various cities in Germany and the UK. The Jerez airport is even accessible by rail from PSM. I have kept my boat in both of these boatyards, and can provide more detailed info if desired (send me a PM).

Also, while the internet is great, I find that unadvertised sales are frequently available, and rates can be negotiated in person.

David Pakes-In which boatyard (the name of the boatyard) is your boat?
Old 20-10-2016, 10:44   #20
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
We ended up hauled out in Preveza again - how about you?

cheers
John/Barra
I'm at Olympic Marine near Lavrion. I have to say they are super good at hauling large cats. And I'm very happy with the prices they have given me to do repairs.

Both of us have some super long distances to cover next year. It's 2600 nm just to the Canaries with a stop over in the Balearic's and Madeira. I can skip time in Greece next year, maybe two weeks, but I have to visit Sicily and the Aeolian Islands if I'm going by, and a few weeks in the Balearic's, and finally the garden island of Madeira. Will probably drop off Palarran and fly home from the Canaries. If I visit them it will be when I return and prepare for the crossing. I'm looking at the 1st of December also.

Tags
aries, Canaries, Spain