Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 03:56   #1

Boat: Moody 376
Buying boat in Greece - launching and registration

We are in the process of completing the purchase of our boat in Greece. It is currently on the hard in Greece (Aktio).

Bit of background, we are Australian, boat will be registered with AMSA in Australia.

I understand that to enter Greece on a private vessel you need to show original registration papers and get a transit log (according to noonsite.com).

So, few questions:

1. I'm wondering exactly what we need to do at the time of launch? Do we need to launch and then go straight to the Port Police to get the transit log, etc?

2a. Due to time pressures we may need to launch BEFORE our registration papers arrive in Greece (from Australia). Any advice on this?

2b. Will the yard (Cleopatra Yard in Aktio) even let us launch without registration papers?

Cheers
benzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 04:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying boat in Greece - launching and registration

An Aussie I did a job for had a similar issue.. he got round it by asking the OZ Reg office to send a temp reg.. sort of like an insurance cover note by e-mail stating that the full registration was in process.. print it off and present it.. they're happy with anything official looking and with stamps.. they love their Stamps..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 04:46   #3

Re: Buying boat in Greece - launching and registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy View Post
2b. Will the yard (Cleopatra Yard in Aktio) even let us launch without registration papers?
I suspect won't care about the registration, although insurance will be another matter. Anyway, just email them and ask.
Old 27-03-2016, 05:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
We are in the process of completing the purchase of our boat in Greece. It is currently on the hard in Greece (Aktio).
What country is the boat currently registered in? And is it VAT paid, or is it subject to Temporary Importation (TI)?

If VAT paid, you'll get a DEKPA rather than a transit log.

If it's subject to TI, it will already have a transit log, unless this was handed back when the boat was taken out. Whatever, TI is noly valid for 18 months, so you need to check when this expires.

Lots more on boat paperwork and regulations at Documents, VAT and Waste Control | JimB Sail and Greek specific stuff at Greece | JimB Sail

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 07:18   #5

Temporary registration is a good idea. Will email them to ask about it.

JimB, thanks for the links. The boat was registered in the UK and is VAT paid, would we still get a DEPKA even though it will be under a non-EU flag?

Also, just going back to one of my questions: upon launching do we need to go a register with port police, or is the vessel already considered to be "checked in" (assuming we have a valid DEPKA/Transit Log)?

Thanks
Old 27-03-2016, 07:34   #6

You could organize with the current owner for a letter of authorization to use the vessel, which would allow you to launch and sail while you wait for the new Registration certificate. You can then check out with the DEPKA, and check back in when ready with your new certificate to obtain the Transit Log (30 Euro for the log, and 15 Euro for your circulation tax). This is a fairly common occurrence when buying/selling. Note that there may be issues with the existing owner's Insurance etc... so best to confirm with the current owner beforehand.

Cheers, PT
touchngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 13:31   #7

I have twice registered a boat with AMSA while in Europe. Beware AMSA are slow and not that efficient, once they sent me the wrong papers for the wrong boat and the other time they described my boat as a trawler.
AMSA issue a provisional registration certificate which still takes about four weeks if you are lucky.
For Greece, similar to the rest of Europe, you theoretically need the original documentation. But only once did someone in Greece insist on it, so I just turned the boat around and went to another island.
My experience is that the interpretation of the rules vary greatly from one island to another island, and the rules are constantly changing so nobody really knows whats going on. Having said all that, I found the Greek officials to be friendly and would go out of their way to help you especially on the smaller islands.
I think the need for non-EU boats to register with the port police at every port stopped in July 2014.

Cheers
Bob_a_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 02:42   #8

Alrighty thanks for the suggestions. Will have a chat to the previous owner about the DEPKA.

Already have insurance so no issues there.

Cheers
Old 28-03-2016, 02:51   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
JimB, thanks for the links. The boat was registered in the UK and is VAT paid, would we still get a DEPKA even though it will be under a non-EU flag?

Also, just going back to one of my questions: upon launching do we need to go a register with port police, or is the vessel already considered to be "checked in" (assuming we have a valid DEPKA/Transit Log)?

Thanks
Yes, the boat should get a DEKPA, because the boat is VAT paid, with the right to free circulations within the EU. Some warnings . . .

(1) A non-EU regitered boat being used by a person not resident in the EU (though I understand you may have a 1 year residency visa?) may be asked occasionally to prove that VAT has been paid.

(2) To prove VAT is paid, obtain any proof of VAT payment held by the previous owner

(3) Also, keep a copy of the UK registration certificate, and the Bill of sale. When re-registering, you'll need evidence that the boat was "formerly registered as UK vessel SSR 12345 named XXX of YYYY (or whatever)" plus the VAT paid evidence given to you by the previous owner.

(4) The boat will already have a DEKPA, and since it has free circulation in the EU, it should continue to have a DEKPA and will not have a transit log.

(5) Updating the DEKPA is best assisted by a broker, if you bought the boat through a broker. Otherwise, the process depends on how well the local PP have been trained! The Greek Citizen's Advice Centres (KEP) can also be very helpful in situations like this. There will be an office in Preveza or Levkas - or both!
  • Sometimes, if both owners go to the Port Police office, the DEKPA record can be changes to show (a) new owner and (b) new register entry.
  • Otherwise, the Bill of sale can be used, combined with proof of re-registration. It should then be possible to hand in the old DEKPA and obtain a new one in your name. This works well if the Bill of sale also notes the re-registration details.
  • If you have difficulty here, you may decide to cheat, maintain the old registration, and obtain the "owners permission to sail his boat", and then re-register as a separate process. (Not my advice).
And, finally, when the boat launches for the new season, it must be able to prove it has permission to be afloat in Greek waters. And that means a DEKPA with a PP stamp less than 1 year old.

As to where that fits within the processes above depends on your calendar of purchase.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 00:53   #10

Boat: B45f5

Also make sure you have a Greek translation of your insurance policy for the PP and it states clearly what they require (ask at Cleopatra office) this may seem obvious but if you don't have it it's a lot of messing around to go back to Cleo's and come back to PP next day, it chews into the fun time If you have to get info from Aus +5hrs min.
Roaring 40s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Greece, registration