Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 08:38   #91

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 400
Re: Buying a boat in Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehtor View Post
Hello guys, very nice information in this topic.

Could anyone advice on the paperwork and authorizations needed to buy a sailboat in Croatia? I won't be able to attend personally.

We are a family from Chile. We already have a shortlist of three boats that are being surveyed by Mr. Srecko Favro, who is very professional and made all the coordinations possible.

As soon as we decide on one of the boats, should we appoint a buyer's broker for the paperwork or just keep the seller's? We will need someone to sail her to Montenegro and back for the temporary admission to the EU as well, have anyone experience something similar and could suggest a person to do that?

Thank you!!

Hi Rehtor
We purchased our Catamaran in Split Croatia from a broker and Dr Srecko Favro was the Assessor that i contracted! using a Broker was really helpful but my situation was very complicated and the broker made it very easy! we were a bit disappointed with Favro after we found out info after the whole deal was done. If you PM me i can elaborate some more.
The paper work and a skipper will be arranged by the agent but i can give you names and details of who we used if you like!
Sailing Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:50   #92

Boat: Bavaria 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Knight View Post
Hi Rehtor
We purchased our Catamaran in Split Croatia from a broker and Dr Srecko Favro was the Assessor that i contracted! using a Broker was really helpful but my situation was very complicated and the broker made it very easy! we were a bit disappointed with Favro after we found out info after the whole deal was done. If you PM me i can elaborate some more.
The paper work and a skipper will be arranged by the agent but i can give you names and details of who we used if you like!
Thank you!! I will PM you asap.
Rehtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:08   #93

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

I've heard from a few Croatian skippers and marina staff that "side deals" are extremely common in Croatia. So the surveyor knows the broker, they agree to a commission if the deal gets through / not many problems are found... same with many moorings, you either book online and pay the official price or you pay the marina staff directly half the price.

Saw it happen only once, but talked to some people this Summer during my week sailing in Croatia.
Simon.Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:21   #94

Boat: Bavaria 44

Thank you Simon!

Could anyone recommend me a buyer's broker in Croatia to help me with the paperwork and registration?

Thank you!
Rehtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 00:38   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehtor View Post
Thank you Simon!

Could anyone recommend me a buyer's broker in Croatia to help me with the paperwork and registration?

Thank you!
where in croatia,what town
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 07:11   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-Sailor View Post
Hi bellasailor. Yes I ended up buying a Bavaria 40 in Croatia, directly from a Charter company - Dream Yacht charters Who I would highly recommend. It cost me AU$67,000 and I am very happy with her.

When I viewed the boat in February they indicated it would be made ‘charter teady’ ... this meant The engine serviced, the sail drive serviced, I variety of different elements I picked up such as a leaking porthole repaired etc. and they did everything they said they would ... and more.

I can recommend getting in touch with Jerry Jacob at DYC to enquire as to what boats they may have available

gerry.jacob@dreamyachtcharter.com

They are one of the biggest yacht charter companies in the world

I am in fact sitting in a cafe in Greece at the moment LOL. We have a Facebook page blogging what we have been getting up to if you care to view:

https://Facebook.com/livinglostura

I had a good experience with Almissani before I found my boat But yes, I would stay away from Selymar. Even the surveyor who I mentioned earlier in the thread (and can recommend) Peter had bad experiences with them. Others over here from the Facebook group called ‘Med Sailng’ (you should join) also said to stay away from them.

Best of luck in your search and fair winds... let me know how you go!!

Congrats to your Bavaria 40! Very nice boat. It seems that there are a lot of this type in Croatia. How old is yours and did you have to fix something or was everything ok? (sorry, maybe you already answered this in some other post, haven't seen it maybe).
Izon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 14:56   #97

Boat: soon a Moody DS 54...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaz473 View Post
You are right. I acknowledge my mistake. I forgot about Switzerland and Norway. They are exception based on previous agreements those two countries had with some other EU states. And both are developed countries and EU had large economic interes to have them in.
Regarding Montenegro joining Shengen: This is very theoretical possibility. Montenegro lacks existing trade and custom agreements with major EU states to push for Shengen. New states wanting to join EU normaly frst join EU and then try to get into Shengen agreement.
also Iceland its NOT in the EU, but they belongs to Schenghen agreement
BigNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 22:44   #98

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Hi all,

we are just about to sign a contract on a boat close to Split. The boat is non VAT, but as we are not resident in EU (Aussies plus German nationality - but tax residents of Australia) we want to export the yacht and seek temporary import for one season in the med. Does anyone know which forms we have to complete for customs?

Above that we need a good surveyor in that area who is able to do the survey in English, we also want to get a rig survey done, for insurance and peace of mind....

Regards,

-Topspin
Old 17-01-2021, 19:26   #99

Does anyone have updated (2021) recommendations for local Croatian professional brokers/surveyors/lawyers/etc to assist foreigners purchasing a sailboat in Croatia?

My wife and I are planning on following many of our fellow sailor's footsteps and wish to buy a sailboat in Croatia to start a year or two adventure around the Med. We hope to move forward sometime Summer/early Autumn 2021.

I am looking for a newer (2014+) Hanse 35-41ft and would love to start reaching out to reputable Croatian contacts to begin the search and purchase process. I am looking to connect with and engage trustworthy local professionals to assist and facilitate the process - the search, the survey, the purchase, navigate the bureaucracy, and the delivery.

If you have recommendations or referrals for trustworthy local Croatian professionals that I can hire to assist me, please let me know.

Thanks!
PNWCatDaddy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 20:03   #100

PNWCatDaddy69,

it may depend a bit, where you are buying there.

We are just pretty early in the process of buying in the Split area. We found our boat through BoatShed as a broker. They are based in GB and our deposit seems to be sitting there, but they also have a team in Croatia.

Regards,

-Richard

P.S.: Please keep us informed here, if you find out anything.
Old 18-01-2021, 01:50   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWCatDaddy69 View Post
Does anyone have updated (2021) recommendations for local Croatian professional brokers/surveyors/lawyers/etc to assist foreigners purchasing a sailboat in Croatia?

My wife and I are planning on following many of our fellow sailor's footsteps and wish to buy a sailboat in Croatia to start a year or two adventure around the Med. We hope to move forward sometime Summer/early Autumn 2021.

I am looking for a newer (2014+) Hanse 35-41ft and would love to start reaching out to reputable Croatian contacts to begin the search and purchase process. I am looking to connect with and engage trustworthy local professionals to assist and facilitate the process - the search, the survey, the purchase, navigate the bureaucracy, and the delivery.

If you have recommendations or referrals for trustworthy local Croatian professionals that I can hire to assist me, please let me know.

Thanks!
iam from Split but not professional surveyors/lawyers, but I easy can look boat and check the document, and help what you need.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 01:57   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Regarding re-setting the 18 month EU VAT clock, do you have confirmation that just leaving the EU is enough?

An awful lot of yachts are entering non-EU countries to have their papers stamped to prove they have been out of the EU (we are advised as well as the entry documents, make sure you can also show marina and/or fuel receipts).

So just going for a sail, while perhaps technically correct, may get one into trouble without good evidence. Also there is the 'goodwill' side of it. I would be nervous about just coming into port for stamping of papers and then leaving immediately. We have always stayed at least a week to: 1. see the place (ended up staying two years in Tunisia - that certainly re-set the clock !), and 2. to show good intent. May be over cautious, but we have seen and experienced a good number of boardings and paper checking. Some are great, others not so friendly
I think this EU article explanation has the details in question. I do agree that some local authorities may be more embolden as to improvise on the EU law.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...ats-faq_en.pdf
EngMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 21:27   #103

OK, I am a bit confused now:

The situation here is:

I am tax resident in Australia but I also have dual citizenship with a German passport. I am buying a yacht in Croatia on the 1.1.2022. I have set aside 6 weeks to organize flag and insurance and will take over the yacht in mid February (I will fly in from Australia in mid February). The boat is not VAT payed. I would like to export the yacht to Australia. As I will have to pay VAT in Australia, I would like to avoid paying VAT in the EU. This seems to be legal based on EU legislature.
I have to wait for the Atlantic crossing window until early November. The plan is to do a shake down cruise in the Med (Greece/Turkey).

Now lets have a look at the problems:

1. The biggest problem is the Schengen Visa which is 90 days. This does not apply to me as I have German nationality and have to enter EU with my German passport. This would give me unlimited stay in the EU.

2. Directly after buying the boat and getting the Flag status and insurance sorted out, I have to go to customs in Croatia and apply for TI which will give me 18 months of tax free cruising.

Source: https://www.noonsite.com/cruising-re...uropean-union/

Given that I am tax resident in Australia and I have paid tax from the start of the taxation period 1.7.2021 to 30.1.2022 I have spent more than 6 month in Australia, tax time here is e.o. June. This should be enough to prove that I am tax resident in AU.

The 18 month of the TI scheme would give me enough time to make the boat bluewater ready and have some fun until Octobre when it is off to Canarys and Cape Verde.

3. The problem now is, how long can I stay in the EU until they will declare me tax resident of the EU and cash the VAT? It seems that this happens after 6 month.

I am a bit unsure if that counts for the whole stay in the EU, Schengen area or one single country (e.g. Spain).
Should I calculate that into my itinerary and stay 2 month in Turkey or Morocco ?

4. According to noonsite, being under TI, I also can request a refund of VAT for all boat equipment? as I have to do some expensive "repairs", this would be highly welcome. Has anybody done that ?

Regards,

-Richard
Old 02-04-2021, 02:57   #104

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

You cannot become a tax resident of the EU you can only become a tax resident of an EU country. As long as you don't stay to long in any country you should be fine.
The problem with your plan is that I believe VAT is due when it's sold inside the EU VAT area unless VAT has already been paid. Is this a non EU registered boat?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:22   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
1. The biggest problem is the Schengen Visa which is 90 days. This does not apply to me as I have German nationality and have to enter EU with my German passport. This would give me unlimited stay in the EU.
There's the legal answer and the practical answer. I'm certain Montanan will post a few pages of quotes about the legal one.

From a practical side, I would enter Europe with the German passport. That saves you time in the queue at arrival and doesn't leave an entry stamp in your Australian passport.

You also should bring with you some proof that you're residing in Australia that goes along with your German passport, otherwise you might run into troubles with Mr. Taxman who thinks you're a clever German avoiding taxes.

In the EU you usually need to register in a country if you stay more than 90 days an become a taxable resident after 6 months. (link to EU) (This might vary form country to country) This isn't related to Schengen Visa, but that affects the VAT. So in theory, if you don't stay in any country for longer than 90 days or 6 months out of 12, this could work. I had one friend who split his time between 3 countries to prevent paying taxes in any of those. I'm unsure if it was fully legal, but in his cases it never was tested very strongly for a decade.

The whole thing is a very complicated matter and most tax offices see it only their way. You might have to fight them to get your right, so be ready to hire an attorney if needed. With a German passport in the EU you don't leave much of a paper trail and if you can prove you pay your taxes in Australia, you'd have a lot of good arguments on your side. Just don't move quickly out of Croatia, they really made fleecing cruisers an art-form. France, Italy and Spain are more relaxed, I don't know how Greece is.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Croatia