Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2019, 07:25   #196
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And the ones claiming disability and rent etc then hod carrying, plumbing, white vanning etc are hilarious when they get caught on the golf links.. or their jet bikes.
One does not have to leave B'mth, Brighton, Eastbourne, Salcombe etc to see this..
yup a nation of scammers,looks like brexit just gave the biggest crooks a blank checkbook.

already on day one a tory mp suggested setting up an insurance scheme to fund treatment in the NHS

eerr we already have a scheme for that,check you payslip at the bottom it says NATIONAL INSURANCE,and is deducted from your wages
Old 15-12-2019, 07:36   #197

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider421 View Post
And for all you who keep your money in EU banks - DON'T. They have only 1% in reserves should there be a run on them. Canada has about 5% in reserves and USofA banks about 10%.

All EU countries have a guarantee though, that the Government will pay up to a certain sum, should the bank go bust. In the UK that is £85,000 per institution. So if you have more than that you need to spread it around. It is similar in other countries too.

Where problems arise is small countries giving banking licenses to large organisations. This what te problem was with IceSave. Now we have Lithuania, which has a decent economy in its own right giving a banking licence to large Revolut.

Lithuania like all EU members had a financial compensation scheme. The issue is that If Revolut went bust the 2.8m population of Lithuania could not afford to pay. Revolut has more customers than the population of Lithuania and does more in transactions than the country’s GDP. Lithuania is relying on the European Deposit Protection scheme instead. This scheme still hasn’t been passed into law yet. Countries like Germany fear it would be stuck paying for failed banks in other eurozone countries.
Old 15-12-2019, 07:38   #198
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Deutsche Bank Struggles to Survive
German financial services giant Deutsche Bank AG is one of the largest and most important economic institutions in the world. Mainly due to self-imposed scandals, the bank is now having to take drastic measures to stay afloat. Investors everywhere should note that if such a critical piece of the too-big-to-fail banking system falters, it could trigger another global financial crisis.
https://news.bitcoin.com/deutsche-ba...ncial-markets/
not everybody agrees with bitcoins spin on things

Old 15-12-2019, 07:44   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Ditto for the equally artificial and made up concept of "multiculturalism."

The world is smaller these days. Most of the vibrant and successful world cities are "multicultural" whether it was intended or not. You can ignore it, push back, or embrace it.... guess which works best.

Ignorance wrapped in psycho-babble is still ignorance.
Old 15-12-2019, 07:53   #200

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

The world is smaller these days. Most of the vibrant and successful world cities are "multicultural" whether it was intended or not. You can ignore it, push back, or embrace it.... guess which works best.

Ignorance wrapped in psycho-babble is still ignorance.
You're conflating the generally positive effects of diversity (urban & otherwise), and the misplaced & unrealistic assumptions that underlie the artificial concept of multiculturalism. Try and take a cue from our Brit friends and learn to disagree without calling people ignorant. It only serves to get controversial but otherwise informative threads closed down.
Old 15-12-2019, 07:54   #201
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
not everybody agrees with bitcoins spin on things

Still does not change the realities..
https://www.europeanceo.com/finance/...ancial-crisis/
https://www.worldfinance.com/banking...into-hot-water
And lets face it, the German economy is tanking, France is teetering and Italy is a basket case..
Brexit is in my view a good thing.. but hey!! Thats just my view, got no skin in the game.
Just an observer with nothing to lose and a wide open world..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-12-2019, 07:59   #202
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Try and take a cue from our Brit friends and learn to disagree without calling people ignorant. It only serves to get controversial but otherwise informative threads closed down.
Well said old chap..
But.. there are exceptions to the rule..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-12-2019, 08:04   #203

Quote:
You're conflating the generally positive effects of diversity (urban & otherwise), and the misplaced & unrealistic assumptions that underlie the artificial concept of multiculturalism. Try and take a cue from our Brit friends and learn to disagree without calling people ignorant. It only serves to get controversial but otherwise informative threads closed down.
Hey you were the one that graced the thread with your bitter, narrow take on humanity.

If you're serious, what are "the misplaced & unrealistic assumptions that underlie the artificial concept of multiculturalism"?

Or we can drop it and stay on topic.
Old 15-12-2019, 08:10   #204
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

To answer as an ex-pat.

I pay tax in 2 countries. future pensions from BOTH countries will depend on agreements made in the UK. I think I have fair reason to have an opinion as to whether or not I choose to support Brexit or not. It matters what happens to the UK for my future and every British passport holder.

I was given that choice by the Prime Minister of Britain in 2016 and even he thought it didn't matter that I was not permanently resident in the UK... I still pay into the British system and contribute to ongoing medical criteria as a consultant medical physician. I work in Spain for cooperation between UK/Espana growth in the medical field. My link with Europe is personal and secular.

Observation of the workings of the EU for many years, I feel I understand some of the major flaws of the system and based on that, I felt it important to move away from membership of the Union as it exists today.

That was my choice and 17 million voters agreed with me. The rest is history.

One thing I know is that my future is intrinsically bound up in England's actions.

They asked me what I thought, I told them and that's it.

So stop being confused or concerned why some of choose not to live in the UK but still vote....... Its my money, I earned it. I paid for keeping it and I like the sun. England is my future fiscally. Summer in England will be on Wednesday next year... month to be announced.
Old 15-12-2019, 08:12   #205

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Well said old chap..
But.. there are exceptions to the rule..
Yes, and so we've read! But nicely handled. It's good to read some back & forth on this from those who are closer to the . . . errr . . . action? Always more going on than what the MSM reports. Over here it's generally just dumbed down into simple partisan-speak & name calling (if "ignorant" isn't enough, let's try "narrow" & "bitter" ), and we already have quite enough of our own extreme partisanship going on over here these days.
Old 15-12-2019, 08:14   #206
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Does anyone know if the original rumour that said Brit registered boats in Continental ports when Brexit happens will retain their VAT Status and those in the UK will lose theirs holds true or.. was it just rumours.
Only 6 weeks left to buy.. Oh my.!!!

Old 15-12-2019, 08:20   #207
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Still does not change the realities..
https://www.europeanceo.com/finance/...ancial-crisis/
https://www.worldfinance.com/banking...into-hot-water
And lets face it, the German economy is tanking, France is teetering and Italy is a basket case..
Brexit is in my view a good thing.. but hey!! Thats just my view, got no skin in the game.
Just an observer with nothing to lose and a wide open world..
i think you are confusing current performance against a high level of liquidity and capital assets ie cash reserves of which they have plenty,backed up by capital assets,which at the end of the day puts the bank in a very strong position even if not currently getting the best returns from borrowers for share holders.
the money is in the bank,so to speak,if they needed more liquidity they could just sell of a few choice bits of greece ,spain,or ireland that they own
Old 15-12-2019, 08:28   #208
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Does anyone know if the original rumour that said Brit registered boats in Continental ports when Brexit happens will retain their VAT Status and those in the UK will lose theirs holds true or.. was it just rumours.
Only 6 weeks left to buy.. Oh my.!!!
nothing is written in stone untill boris and the EU put something in writing.
and even then there is still a 12 month transition period before what ever agreed is implemented, brexit will still be being discussed in 10 years time,the lawyers have 4 million pages to get through

although you might want to wait a bit till the euro hits 5 euro to the pound
Old 15-12-2019, 09:18   #209

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
...Most of the vibrant and successful world cities are "multicultural" whether it was intended or not...
And, historically, have always been. 'Multiculturalism' as a term has been turned into yet another 'trigger word' that, unfortunately, has to be used carefully in certain contexts with certain individuals or groups of individuals, though I believe this actually belongs more under the Youtuber thread than the Brexit thread, because of the proximate cause, social media.
Old 15-12-2019, 09:27   #210
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
yup a nation of scammers,looks like brexit just gave the biggest crooks a blank checkbook:
Well Westminster does set a high bar that many strive to meet..

Closed Thread

Tags
grass