Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2019, 11:50   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Selfishly, I am most interested in the future tariff on that Moody i have in mind...
i though moody is,now owened by a german company hanse yachts and built in croatia

Moody is an English brand of sailing yachts. It is originated in the former Moody shipyard in Swanwick that was founded in 1827 by John Moody. As of 2007, the brand belongs to German yacht builder HanseYachts AG, Greifswald.
Old 14-12-2019, 11:50   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
.. you sound like Nicola Sturgeon saying getting seats in a GE is a Mandate for Independence..

Weeeelll... considering the size of the SNP win, and Scotland's feeling toward Brexit... aren't these GE results plus Brexit essentially a green light to hold an independence referendum in Scotland in the near future? What's sauce for the goose...
Old 14-12-2019, 11:51   #138

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If we're measuring by area, then Siberia means more than the US and Europe combined

UK is 66 million people, and the 5th largest economy in the world, and a nation for more than 1000 years. Comparison to Oregon is silly.

The EU is NOT indeed any kind of United States of Europe, even if some people hope that it will gradually become that, and the constituent nations of the EU are not much like US states.
No it hasn't.... its barely older than the United States of America... Act of Union was 1707.... Ireland only came on board in 1801..
Old 14-12-2019, 11:53   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wait until Boris drops the VAT in the UK, that should have the EU fuming as there nice little earner disappears.

Pete
This is a difficult one..Vote Leave says the UK cannot lower VAT rates as long as it is in the European Union. Michael Gove said the 5% rate of VAT on household gas and electricity bills could not be scrapped because of EU rules.

Reality Check verdict: EU rules mean the UK cannot reduce VAT on goods and services below 15%, the standard rate of VAT in the EU. The standard rate of VAT in the UK is 20%, so the government could reduce it by up to 5% today if it wanted. Domestic fuel is on a special list of pre-approved goods and services that are subject to lower VAT rates and it would require the agreement of all other EU members to reduce it further.

so whilst we are members we have curtailment of that ability. 5% reduction on the initiation of the leaving, (for I'm sure the EU will say we haven't left until all requirements are met) would be a sign of good faith. having read some preliminary papers on the possible areas of agreement, It looks very much like Britain would have to fall in line with several EU mandates, of which I'm confident equality of VAT will be one.

WTO would solve all this. Did you read the terms of Johnsons leave? I swear its the same as Mrs May. No wonder Farage is saying its not good.. Because it isnt.
Old 14-12-2019, 11:55   #140

Boat: Discovery 50
BREXIT

Quote:
The Loser's Lament..

Where are Corbyn, Swinson et al now.. you sound like Nicola Sturgeon saying getting seats in a GE is a Mandate for Independence..

Hold on - aren’t you the one who is claiming that the GE’s were a proxy for Brexit ? By your logic Sturgeon has every right to ask for a 2nd Indy ref ? Maybe I was wrong about your intelligence ?
Old 14-12-2019, 12:08   #141
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Not at all - I just don’t see the need to make things up - No Losers Lament at all. Brexit will go ahead. There is no need for you to tell lies, it just makes you look somewhat ignorant and I’m sure you are not.
If you choose to call me a liar feel free..
No skin off my nose..
If you choose not to accept that the 1 + 2 other times the public have been asked to vote on what is basically Brexit (which all politicians promised to respect in 2016 then promptly proceeded to block for as long as they could hoping it would go away) is not 'Technically' thats your choice..
Once again.. No skin off my nose..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-12-2019, 12:16   #142
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hold on - aren’t you the one who is claiming that the GE’s were a proxy for Brexit ? By your logic Sturgeon has every right to ask for a 2nd Indy ref ? Maybe I was wrong about your intelligence ?
Slight difference old chum..
The Referendum and GE's were UK wide..
Scottish Independence is 'Local' so to speak.. now if she was to make it a nationwide vote for Scots Independence..
Tho' personally I would let her have another go..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-12-2019, 12:24   #143
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

WTO would solve all this. Did you read the terms of Johnsons leave? I swear its the same as Mrs May. No wonder Farage is saying its not good.. Because it isnt.
Only difference is 'Backstop' has been changed to 'Border in the Irish Sea' and 4yrs after Brexit N Ireland can vote on whether to maintain EU compliance or leave..
Seeing NI results I think they will stay in.
But hey.. one lives in hope for WTO, Boris holds the reins.

Old 14-12-2019, 12:26   #144

Quote:
Slight difference old chum..
The Referendum and GE's were UK wide..
Scottish Independence is 'Local' so to speak.. now if she was to make it a nationwide vote for Scots Independence..
Tho' personally I would let her have another go..
Hold on - saying that a Scottish independence vote would have to be all UK is like saying a Brexit vote must be all the EU.
Old 14-12-2019, 12:36   #145

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
If you choose to call me a liar feel free..

No skin off my nose..

If you choose not to accept that the 1 + 2 other times the public have been asked to vote on what is basically Brexit (which all politicians promised to respect in 2016 then promptly proceeded to block for as long as they could hoping it would go away) is not 'Technically' thats your choice..

Once again.. No skin off my nose..

There have not been 3 referenda, technically or otherwise - end of.
On more positive issues do Ex-Pats now have categorical assurances from those EU countries in which they prefer to live (although they voted for UK to leave the EU which I still find a bit contradictory) that they will be able to continue living there as before ?

Also does anyone actually know when the new VAT / Schengen rules will apply - will that be 31st Jan 2020 or at the end of the interim arrangement period (currently 31st Dec 2020 I believe) ?
Old 14-12-2019, 12:47   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
There have not been 3 referenda, technically or otherwise - end of.
On more positive issues do Ex-Pats now have categorical assurances from those EU countries in which they prefer to live (although they voted for UK to leave the EU which I still find a bit contradictory) that they will be able to continue living there as before ?

No.

Also does anyone actually know when the new VAT / Schengen rules will apply - will that be 31st Jan 2020 or at the end of the interim arrangement period (currently 31st Dec 2020 I believe) ?

Not set in stone
Old 14-12-2019, 12:48   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
The standard rate of VAT in the UK is 20%, so the government could reduce it by up to 5% today if it wanted.
5% off the price of a car or yacht would do nicely do we make yachts anymore? lets say canal boats then.

Pete
Old 14-12-2019, 12:49   #148
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Hold on - saying that a Scottish independence vote would have to be all UK is like saying a Brexit vote must be all the EU.
actually to be truly fair the vote would have to be international,during the highland clearances..and other tory pogroms hundreds of thousands of scottish were dispossesed around the world,surely they should have a voice as well for their ancestral homeland.
we managed to create the state of isreal from the mess the tory party made of the world after the ottomans,so why not scotland as well
Old 14-12-2019, 12:54   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
5% off the price of a car or yacht would do nicely do we make yachts anymore? lets say canal boats then.

Pete
there are a couple of skilled polish guys i know that could probably build you one very quickly tax free
Old 14-12-2019, 12:55   #150
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I did not say it would Have to be UK wide..
I was saying that the logic of a GE giving a mandate for Independence for Scotland is not valid.. they were voting for MPs not Independence.
I have nothing against them having another Referendum, I don't think she would win it.. its bigger than voting for your local MP and more complex.
They would have hard borders all round, EU membership would have to meet EU terms which they would struggle to meet.. could take years.
A new currency, as they could not keep the GBP so likely the Scottish Pound would struggle internationally.
Sturgeon should give it a go..

Closed Thread

Tags
grass