Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2019, 09:25   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: BREXIT

when I came here,,, I used the bus service. In Seville its £1 a ride anywhere in the city edge to edge. Here I asked for a ticket from my house to Eastbourne..

2.7 miles. "£2:70 or £4:80 for a day rider. Anywhere in the area for as many rides as I wanted.

I said..." I just want to ride on the bus there and back, not buy shares in the company!."

Driver just laughed and said, "Your not from round here are you.."

Expensive.
Old 14-12-2019, 09:37   #107

Interesting thread. I appreciate hearing from those who are actually in the thick of it.

It took a lot of planning and effort to form the EU. So I never understood how something as complex and important as Brexit could be decided on a 50% + 1 basis. Since you don't ever get 100% voter turnout, a tight victory can be won with a minority of voters. You can often get to 50.0001% on any viewpoint, with the right timing, circumstances and propaganda. I would want to see something like a 60% or 66% threshold, to be more certain that this is really the direction the country wants to go, despite the hardships.

(Canada also nearly blew apart on a 50% + 1 vote on Quebec separation)

It seems that Britain is two different countries places, depending on whether you talk to a Leaver or a Remainer. If I was British, I would have been a Remainer (no surprises there, right?). It seems to me that many of the reasons for Leave are emotional/attitude, and that most of the real-world practical objections to EU membership could have been resolved within the EU.

Anyway, this election (and the stock market response) seems to prove that most Britons want it done. So, Godspeed, and best wishes for this new direction.
Old 14-12-2019, 09:37   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Apologies.. Misread your post about coming from Plymouth..
Good tip on the Check in, Cheers.
Had a good night with live folk music in the Chain Locker after a Vietnamese supper across the way.. Yummy Grub.
Horror when I found out a pack of 20 Marlboro was nearly 12 quid so opted for a pack Golden Virginia and papers to last till France.
yup the waterfront bar,and chainlocker are proper sailor hangouts,though £4 a pint is eye watering( unless the owner is paying), and if coming from portugal the same as we paid for a nice lunch,esprsso and a 33cl beer in faro!

these days the kids just smoke weed,apparently cheaper than baccky,available on every street corner in the ukand according to the internet cures most diseases
Old 14-12-2019, 09:39   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
yup the waterfront bar,and chainlocker are proper sailor hangouts,though £4 a pint is eye watering( unless the owner is paying), and if coming from portugal the same as we paid for a nice lunch,esprsso and a 33cl beer in faro!

these days the kids just smoke weed,apparently cheaper than baccky,available on every street corner in the ukand according to the internet cures most diseases
hahahahaha. Id settle for £4 a pint here in the south east... Guinness is over £6
Old 14-12-2019, 09:41   #110

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman walk into a bar.
The Englishman wanted to go, so they all had to leave.

Brexit will make prices go up in Britain, so it will cost them twice as much to not go to the dentist.

Why does a Brexiter have so many children?

Because he refuses to acknowledge that pulling out never works.
Prices going up would depend on how the government reacts. Prices could just as easily come down if they wanted.

Take steel for example. The EU has quotas for steel coming from places like China. After which tariffs of between 12-36%. Once it's left, the UK not having much a steel industry (which I think is a mistake) could simply not charge any tariffs on imported steel, thereby instantly reducing the cost of many products that require steel as a raw material.

The same could be done in other areas. Where it gets tricky is where we have industries to protect, but in an ideal world we'd let the inefficient industries die off and focus on those industries that add the most value.
Old 14-12-2019, 09:44   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

It seems to me that many of the reasons for Leave are emotional/attitude, and that most of the real-world practical objections to EU membership could have been resolved within the EU.
Only.... the reasons are not emotional and the EU has not/does not/ will not address the problems. Too busy moving towards united states of Europe.
Democracy is the allowance of the majority to rule over the smaller number. No one said it is fair or the best system... its what we got.
Old 14-12-2019, 09:49   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Without any political discussion the answer to why isn’t everything in the US free, like education and medical care is that you can only print so much money, the US whether you agree with it or not is the Military force for most of the free world, and for the most part it’s free for the rest of the World.
When I went to Bosnia in the Winter of 99 a very logical argument could have been made that we shouldn’t have been there, it was a European problem and should have been handled and paid for by Europeans.
But it wasn’t, the overwhelming majority of military personnel and equipment and therefore money spent was US.

Then obviously those programs are not free, I’ve had a gentleman from Germany pestering me to sell him my sewing machine for honestly more money than it’s worth, and I tried to get him to see that shipping from the US to Germany would be insane and that surely he could buy a Sailrite machine cheaper than pay a new price for a used machine and have it shipped, but he was adamant that the taxes were so ridiculously high that he couldn’t.
He had done his homework and was sure.
Old 14-12-2019, 09:55   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
... Democracy is the allowance of the majority to rule over the smaller number. No one said it is fair or the best system... its what we got.
In 1780, John Adams wrote that the
“greatest political evil” to be feared under a democratic constitution was the emergence of “two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.”

George Washington, in his farewell address, described the “spirit of party” as democracy’s “worst enemy.” It “agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection.”

Old 14-12-2019, 10:00   #114

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Oh and the healthiest foods too.
Sorry but I couldn't resist

Old 14-12-2019, 10:00   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Without any political discussion the answer to why isn’t everything in the US free, like education and medical care, is that you can only print so much money,,
With fiat currency, there is no limit to what you can print. Paying it back is another matter.

Also, while there is an arbitrary ceiling on printing money for the USA... there is no record for what money is printed for the governments use. I often wondered how the gov funded stuff more than they had money....... duh.

I stopped listening a long time ago.
Old 14-12-2019, 10:08   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Only.... the reasons are not emotional and the EU has not/does not/ will not address the problems. Too busy moving towards united states of Europe.
Democracy is the allowance of the majority to rule over the smaller number. No one said it is fair or the best system... its what we got.
this something that i have never really understood about the uk,and that is the uk's fixation on all things american?
perhaps something akin to the "cargo cult" of the solomon islanders from the influx of GI's for 3 years in the uk during WW2

but seriously,having freed ourselves from the EU,now we want to become dependent on another master,that really see's the uk as a decaying post colonial power to be exploited for our resources

whilst quietly maintaining americas money laundering and tax evasion through the uk's quasi legal home grown tax dodging system that really benefits very few uk citizens ultimately
Old 14-12-2019, 10:10   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
whilst quietly maintaining their money laundering and tax evasion through the UK's quasi-legal homegrown tax-dodging system that really benefits very few UK citizens ultimately
Jimmy Carr tried it... lol
Old 14-12-2019, 10:11   #118
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Interesting thread. I appreciate hearing from those who are actually in the thick of it.

It took a lot of planning and effort to form the EU. So I never understood how something as complex and important as Brexit could be decided on a 50% + 1 basis. Since you don't ever get 100% voter turnout, a tight victory can be won with a minority of voters. You can often get to 50.0001% on any viewpoint, with the right timing, circumstances and propaganda. I would want to see something like a 60% or 66% threshold, to be more certain that this is really the direction the country wants to go, despite the hardships.

(Canada also nearly blew apart on a 50% + 1 vote on Quebec separation)

It seems that Britain is two different countries places, depending on whether you talk to a Leaver or a Remainer. If I was British, I would have been a Remainer (no surprises there, right?). It seems to me that many of the reasons for Leave are emotional/attitude, and that most of the real-world practical objections to EU membership could have been resolved within the EU.

Anyway, this election (and the stock market response) seems to prove that most Britons want it done. So, Godspeed, and best wishes for this new direction.
Well technically we have had 3 Referendums to get here, the one in 2016 which Leave won, a GE in 2017 when the Leave (???) Party won with all be it a reduced majority.
Now we have had a 3rd which the Get Brexit Done mandate won returning an 80 seat majority.
Realistically we could have saved 3.5 years of chaotic mess and losses if the politicians like May etc had meant it and taken us out WTO in the first couple of months after the 2016 vote.
Instead they allowed the EU plenty of breathing space to regroup and get assets out of the UK..
Just hope this is not yet another political sellout and its Brexit for real not BRINO..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-12-2019, 10:14   #119

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Paid £1.50 a pint at Wetherspoons just last night! Heck, even quality imports like Budlight is 1.99

And my winter berth at Sutton Harbour in Plymouth is £273 a month (paid 400 in the Azores last winter). I just booked a bus from Plymouth to London for £4.99 each way (6 hour trip). Besides electronics, I really don't find the UK any more expensive, and often less, than the East Coast of the US. It's certainly cheaper than the Caribbean.

Checking in for our US boat was just a phone call to the Yachtline. We were already in the EU (Portugal), but the trip over from Norway (not EU) to Scotland was again just a phone call.

Matt
Old 14-12-2019, 10:14   #120

Boat: Malö 40H
BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Oh that's easy. Since we have some 20,000 miles of superb coastline to explore just stay at home? If you must go abroad to stock up on booze, cheese and chocolates, 90 days will do nicely. There is only so much foreign food you can take before needing fish and chips, roast beef and real beer properly warmed.

Interesting times ahead I think, might even need to dig out my passport for foreign travel. Wonder if its still got the message from Her Maj' inside saying "requires and demands"

Pete

🤣

you just reminded me of this meme that was floating around the Interwebs a while ago.

BREXIT :

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2900.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	205037

Just on good fun no need to take it too seriously [emoji6]
Closed Thread

Tags
grass