Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2019, 13:09   #31
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: BREXIT

I meant after recovering from the fallout, after the "adjustment" period.

Or do you see that as all roses and butterflies?
Old 13-12-2019, 18:57   #32

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
It's only a political post if the viewpoint is opposed to yours.

If after the downsides have been resolved, transition managed well for the first few years, and life then starts to improve for the average Briton after leaving, then

in 20/20 hindsite it will have been a wise move.

If it turns out the citizens of Spain, Italy and Poland are much better off in ten years, and the UK continues to slide, then leaving will have been a pretty shortsighted mistake, no matter how happy the oligarchs and banksters are.
Sounds like the voice of the established order telling another country's citizens what's best for them. I think you may want to look up the defn of "referendum" and see how many "oligarchs & banksters" voted as compared to the "average Briton."
Old 13-12-2019, 19:57   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
None of you get it.
Imagine a sovereign country like Britain ruled by 28 Papua New guineas who ban certain foods, certain ways of doing things and control your military and taxes...

Since you mentioned PNG

Bougainville just voted over 97% in favour of independence from PNG!
Interesting couple of years ahead in this part of the world too
Old 13-12-2019, 20:51   #34

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The bright side for US sailors is you have another get out from Schengen.
The only way is up.. the rest is remainer Project Fear.
Never knew the UK was part of Schengen.
Old 14-12-2019, 00:38   #35

Boat: Colvic Victor 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
None of you get it.

Imagine a sovereign country like Britain ruled by 28 Papua New guineas who ban certain foods, certain ways of doing things and control your military and taxes...

THAT is the reality. Another country or countries have the last word.

This is not a political post. This is the written constitution of membership.

Let's not forget the 1 million people-immigrants that Britain has been constitutionally forced to accept.

And in the acceptance is the £20 billion a year it constitutionally has to pay for the privilege.

I have got used to saurkraut, but only on hotdogs and Pastrami and Rye.
Boy, are you sure it wasn't a political post? Never heard someone spout so much rubbish. Perhaps you should read something about the EU and its functioning. Britain ALWAYS has a veto. So, can we get back to the original thread? I wanted to find out how people were going to deal with it.
Old 14-12-2019, 00:44   #36

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Weavis...what is the difference between an expat and an immigrant?

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20191210191642
Old 14-12-2019, 00:53   #37

Boat: Colvic Victor 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Weavis...what is the difference between an epat and an immigrant?

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20191210191642
Nothing, the Brits just don't want to consider themselves to be immigrants - so expats it is. Sounds more user friendly.....
Old 14-12-2019, 01:24   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

talking about expats,when it all goes economically pear shaped in europe as our brexit bretheren have been warning us about for the last 3 years,and the uk gets the blame for crashing the eurozone.
i wonder will brits be subject to hate crimes,muggings,robberies and over zealous police etc,as german tourists were for many years in europe.
Old 14-12-2019, 01:34   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
It will be interesting to see the import duties on all the French built and all of European built boats. And last I heard there is still that Irish backstop issue. Brexit still has issues to work out.

The Backstop is solved. The Tories won a crushing majority without the DUP, whom the new Government can now just ignore. The backstop will stay.

It was well played. Few people like BoJo much, but he has now managed to cut the Gordian knot and now has the power to get it done. He has the power to ignore not only the DUP, but also to ignore the hard Brexiteers in his own party, in shaping a deal with the EU. So now it's really all in his hands and down to whether or not he's got a vision for this thing, or not.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 14-12-2019, 01:45   #40

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The Backstop is solved. The Tories won a crushing majority without the DUP, whom the new Government can now just ignore. The backstop will stay.

It was well played. Few people like BoJo much, but he has now managed to cut the Gordian knot and now has the power to get it done. He has the power to ignore not only the DUP, but also to ignore the hard Brexiteers in his own party, in shaping a deal with the EU. So now it's really all in his hands and down to whether or not he's got a vision for this thing, or not.
A hard Brexit would be the best for the country.
Old 14-12-2019, 02:00   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye118 View Post
Boy, are you sure it wasn't a political post? Never heard someone spout so much rubbish. Perhaps you should read something about the EU and its functioning. Britain ALWAYS has a veto. So, can we get back to the original thread? I wanted to find out how people were going to deal with it.
Gosh.
Im pretty familiar with VETO rights of each country and the pecking order in terms of contributions to the EU.

Im pretty familiar with Percentages of population and the distribution rights within the voting system.

Im pretty certain that ONLY certain things can be blocked solely by a single member country.

The UK can veto some laws alone, but needs three allies to block others. In practice, and generally the UK has complied 95% with EU mandates.

Majorities are enough. Under the new system for majority voting, a law has to pass two hurdles.

First, 16 out of 28 member states have to vote for it. In special cases, it's 21 out of 28.

The UK naturally counts for only 1/28th from this point of view.

But there is a second condition: population matters. Member states representing 65% of all the people in the EU have to vote for a law before it passes.

The ability of the UK to combine with a couple of other big countries to block a law it doesn't like is made more difficult by a rider to this rule. You can get to 36% against a proposed law from just three countries, but they won't be able to block it unless joined by at least one more.

In other words, if fewer than four countries oppose or abstain on a law in the Council, it passes.

As an ex pat living in Spain, WE (the brits) determined that best way to overcome a law from the EU was to refuse to comply. If the issue was not big enough to worry about then generally the EU let it go.

Spain used this tactic over OLIVE OIL. It became law to put new sealed olive oil on tables for customers. Spain has a tradition of local Olive oil production, and refilled the bottles from the yard. To a restaurant and every person in Spain, this was how it was and would continue to be. Spain defied the law and in 3 weeks the law was changed.

Now the majority vote in the EU was that Britain take 1 million 'refugees'. Britain kinda refused and:...

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) on Wednesday ruled that British authorities must accept asylum seekers who entered the EU via the UK for the period in which it is a member, even though it has announced its intention to leave the bloc.

The ruling is an affirmation of asylum procedures in Europe under the so-called Dublin rules, which gives EU member states the right to deport asylum seekers to their point of entry in the bloc.

What the ruling says:

"A Member State that has given notice of its intention to withdraw from the EU … remains the responsible State for the purposes of the Dublin III Regulation"

Triggering Article 50, which started Brexit proceedings, "does not have the effect of suspending the application of EU law in that Member State"
"Consequently, that law continues in full force and effect in that Member State until the time of its actual withdrawal from the EU"

What does this mean for the UK?

The ruling reaffirms the UK's responsibility for the period in which it is an EU member state.

Despite launching withdrawal proceedings, British authorities continue to be responsible for taking back asylum seekers who first entered the EU through the UK and later went on to apply for protection in another member states.

The whole refugee immigrant issue was the EU distribution of countries to take them. I remember in 2016 that the leave voters had this issue in their mind during voting.

Will we leave the EU? Seems once more the EU is saying it will take years to sort out all the conditions.

It will be disappointing to find that the EU triggers a non-member status for the UK and enact the Schengen treaty, and yet still retain us as members. I will be pissed if Im still a member but my boating rights have been curtailed.

I hate everything to do with politics because we look in one direction and the action is somewhere else.
Old 14-12-2019, 02:07   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Bojo. So now it's really all in his hands and down to whether or not he's got a vision for this thing, or not.
Im pretty sure he has visions.............

Old 14-12-2019, 02:07   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
A hard Brexit would be the best for the country.
it would at least get the protestors out on the streets when food rationing starts,and industry grinds to a halt for lack of parts from europe.

but i don't think BJ's employers would allow it.....banks like stability
Old 14-12-2019, 02:48   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
it would at least get the protestors out on the streets when food rationing starts,and industry grinds to a halt for lack of parts from europe.

but i don't think BJ's employers would allow it.....banks like stability
You honestly think Germany is going to shoot itself in the other foot.. they're already limping badly.
As for food shortages, it will never happen in the way the marxists project.. Project Fear is seen for what it is.
As for Brits being robbed and assaulted/killed in Europe.. its been happening for years on the Algarve, if you had a news service in the UK instead of a marxist broadcasting propaganda machine you might have heard about it.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-12-2019, 03:01   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The problem is compounded by the results of the referendum NOT having been enacted.

We would be well on our way to financial stability by now.... No European country would have refused trade with us.......... Germany sells 30% of its cars to the UK. Hike up prices of spares? Lol.. good news for Japan... they would do a deal and Britain goes fully Japanese.

I think Boatie is right. NOTHING will change in general except going back to trading with Australia and New Zealand and more with the USA and Korea and .... you get the picture. For those that don't know, Australian and New Zealand lamb is the best in the world. Welsh lamb is too expensive.

No European country will snub the UK.. period.

Look what has happened to Greece. Shameful.

As for boating.... if one European country disrespects the UK sailors then we go somewhere else. Spain tried it over Gibraltar. Gibraltar closed the border to the 10000 Spanish workers and....wow! problem was solved immediately.

The UK is not going to take being a political hostage. No country should ever fear to leave a union if it no longer suits them. Drugs from Europe get overpriced to the UK? Ive news for you.. THEY ALREADY ARE. Buy from USA or India.

There is not a problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
grass