Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2019, 10:21   #121

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
The UK is about the size of Oregon. I can't imagine Oregon doing all that well if it decided to separate from the US, but I wish all you guys the best.

We had a similar threat many years ago when Quebec threatened to separate from Canada, and everyone thought they were nuts, and Quebec is considerably larger than UK. Fortunately that never happened. Strength in numbers.

Oh, and Scotland takes up a third of that area too, so if they remain with EU, then UK is really left out there. Better get working on those free trade agreements, and expect a lot of costs to skyrocket.
Physical size means little, Oregon GDP is about $207 billion...UK's is about $2.8 trillion...yep, with a "T"...who is "big" now?
Old 14-12-2019, 10:24   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Realistically we could have saved 3.5 years of chaotic mess and losses if the politicians like May etc had meant it and taken us out WTO in the first couple of months after the 2016 vote.
Just crash out like that? Really? That seems like jumping off a cliff without first checking the depth of water you hope to land in. At least the 3.5 years has allowed for some level of examination and planning...?
Old 14-12-2019, 10:30   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
In 1780, John Adams wrote that the
“greatest political evil” to be feared under a democratic constitution was the emergence of “two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.”

George Washington, in his farewell address, described the “spirit of party” as democracy’s “worst enemy.” It “agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection.”
putin and his cyber nerds are having a good chuckle at the moment together with those who will make war through deception
Old 14-12-2019, 10:31   #124

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Paid £1.50 a pint at Wetherspoons just last night! Heck, even quality imports like Budlight is 1.99

And my winter berth at Sutton Harbour in Plymouth is £233 a month. I just booked a bus from Plymouth to London for £4.99 each way (6 hour trip). Besides electronics, I really don't find the UK any more expensive, and often less, than the East Coast of the US. It's certainly cheaper than the Caribbean.

Checking in for our US boat was just a phone call to the Yachtline. We were already in the EU (Portugal), but the trip over from Norway (not EU) to Scotland was again just a phone call.

Matt
A bus or a coach? These are two very different things in the UK, despite the fact that the coach service Mega Bus has bus in the title. You've probably got some super advance-saver fare. I imagine it normally being closer to £50-60 and the train being double that. Normally Brits will not take coaches and instead take the train.

Wetherspoons is indeed cheap and often a Friday and Saturday night attracts the lowest dregs of society. Best avoided IMO. And is Bud light really even a beer

A decent beer in a normal bar or pub is more like £4-6.

where you really get hit in the UK is Hotels, B&Bs and restaurants (even crappy chain ones). All are massively more expensive in general than anywhere else in Europe, whilst Supermarkets are often much cheaper. My weekly shop was easily a good third less in the UK than in Spain or Portugal.
Old 14-12-2019, 10:43   #125

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
A bus or a coach? These are two very different things in the UK, despite the fact that the coach service Mega Bus has bus in the title. You've probably got some super advance-saver fare. I imagine it normally being closer to £50-60 and the train being double that. Normally Brits will not take coaches and instead take the train.

Wetherspoons is indeed cheap and often a Friday and Saturday night attracts the lowest dregs of society. Best avoided IMO. And is Bud light really even a beer

A decent beer in a normal bar or pub is more like £4-6.

where you really get hit in the UK is Hotels, B&Bs and restaurants (even crappy chain ones). All are massively more expensive in general than anywhere else in Europe, whilst Supermarkets are often much cheaper. My weekly shop was easily a good third less in the UK than in Spain or Portugal.
It was a Mega Bus coach in a few weeks. The train was 38 each way, but really wasn't that much quicker... and since we are time rich and cash poor, the bus coach made more sense.

We've only been to the Wetherspoons in Plymouth, Oban, Dublin and Belfast, so hardly a connoisseur, but they seem like any college/university bar that I've been to. Young crowd and cheap drinks... a lot less depressing than a sailors bar.

Matt
Old 14-12-2019, 10:49   #126
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Paid £1.50 a pint at Wetherspoons just last night! Heck, even quality imports like Budlight is 1.99

And my winter berth at Sutton Harbour in Plymouth is £273 a month (paid 400 in the Azores last winter). I just booked a bus from Plymouth to London for £4.99 each way (6 hour trip). Besides electronics, I really don't find the UK any more expensive, and often less, than the East Coast of the US. It's certainly cheaper than the Caribbean.

Checking in for our US boat was just a phone call to the Yachtline. We were already in the EU (Portugal), but the trip over from Norway (not EU) to Scotland was again just a phone call.

Matt
the owner of weatherspoons just made £44 million off brexit so he can afford being generous to the great unwashed,plymouth harbour was paid for by uk taxpayers then sold off to private enterprise by a tory government to saudi interests,so really if you are paying more than the cost of maintainance this is a historic rip off of the british public,and plymouth is a port of entry,falmouth is not .
enjoy mega bus.......try buy a train ticket during peak hours(again the railway net works were paid for by the british tax payerc,then sold off to the highest bidder by the tory party for the benefit of shareholders) as the general public has to
Old 14-12-2019, 10:51   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Moorings aren't cheap on the S Coast in summer, however.
Which may have influenced our choice of twin keels so we can dry out against a harbour wall, muddy creek or creep into a shallow harbour and pick up a mooring ball. Or of course the club slipway at £15 a year.

MDL and Premier cost us £35 plus a night. The Harbourmaster's pontoons are in the 20 range like this one in Dartmouth with a max length of 30ft, give or take a smidgeon, flying an appropriate service blue ensign helps. Money saved is of course spent in the local YC helping them survive.

Atoll does have a point though, the 85ft super yacht in the back ground charters for £25k a week. Harbour master said they pay even less than us at £18 a night
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dart.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	205042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	205043  

Old 14-12-2019, 11:14   #128

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Interesting thread. I appreciate hearing from those who are actually in the thick of it.

It took a lot of planning and effort to form the EU. So I never understood how something as complex and important as Brexit could be decided on a 50% + 1 basis. Since you don't ever get 100% voter turnout, a tight victory can be won with a minority of voters. You can often get to 50.0001% on any viewpoint, with the right timing, circumstances and propaganda. I would want to see something like a 60% or 66% threshold, to be more certain that this is really the direction the country wants to go, despite the hardships.

(Canada also nearly blew apart on a 50% + 1 vote on Quebec separation)

It seems that Britain is two different countries places, depending on whether you talk to a Leaver or a Remainer. If I was British, I would have been a Remainer (no surprises there, right?). It seems to me that many of the reasons for Leave are emotional/attitude, and that most of the real-world practical objections to EU membership could have been resolved within the EU.

Anyway, this election (and the stock market response) seems to prove that most Britons want it done. So, Godspeed, and best wishes for this new direction.

David Cameron was the moron who decided to call the EU referendum (for purely Internal Conservative Party reasons), who could have insisted on, say, a 60pct minimum vote to leave - and didn’t. History will not judge him well. Not sure you can read anything about Leave or Remain into the election result although I think we can all agree that Brexit will now go ahead although the form of it is far from determined.
Old 14-12-2019, 11:22   #129

Quote:
Well technically we have had 3 Referendums to get here, the one in 2016 which Leave won, a GE in 2017 when the Leave (???) Party won with all be it a reduced majority.

Now we have had a 3rd which the Get Brexit Done mandate won returning an 80 seat majority.

Realistically we could have saved 3.5 years of chaotic mess and losses if the politicians like May etc had meant it and taken us out WTO in the first couple of months after the 2016 vote.

Instead they allowed the EU plenty of breathing space to regroup and get assets out of the UK..

Just hope this is not yet another political sellout and its Brexit for real not BRINO..

Let’s not make facts up. ‘technically we have had 3 referendums’ is utterly untrue.
Old 14-12-2019, 11:24   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Physical size means little, Oregon GDP is about $207 billion...UK's is about $2.8 trillion...yep, with a "T"...who is "big" now?
Answer: California. This weird battle was already settled up-thread.

Interesting discussion as viewed here from the states. I think we can understand the desire for independence more than most. Selfishly, I am most interested in the future tariff on that Moody i have in mind...
Old 14-12-2019, 11:29   #131

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Selfishly, I am most interested in the future tariff on that Moody i have in mind...
Wait until Boris drops the VAT in the UK, that should have the EU fuming as there nice little earner disappears.

Pete
Old 14-12-2019, 11:31   #132
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Let’s not make facts up. ‘technically we have had 3 referendums’ is utterly untrue.
The Loser's Lament..
Where are Corbyn, Swinson et al now.. you sound like Nicola Sturgeon saying getting seats in a GE is a Mandate for Independence..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-12-2019, 11:39   #133

Quote:
The Loser's Lament..

Where are Corbyn, Swinson et al now.. you sound like Nicola Sturgeon saying getting seats in a GE is a Mandate for Independence..

Not at all - I just don’t see the need to make things up - No Losers Lament at all. Brexit will go ahead. There is no need for you to tell lies, it just makes you look somewhat ignorant and I’m sure you are not.
Old 14-12-2019, 11:40   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wait until Boris drops the VAT in the UK, that should have the EU fuming as there nice little earner disappears.

Pete
is that at the same time as he free's all the flying pigs,with a shake of the magic money tree.

they also seem to have forgotten that we will need a further 20,000 border,customs and immigration officers in every port and land crossing if we want to cater to the needs of controlled immigration,tourism,anti terror and trade
Old 14-12-2019, 11:40   #135

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian
What tosh , always the same from expats , oh how they love being away from the UK but stiil they whinge about the weather the price and Brexit and they dont even live there .
Your assumptions of weather spoons and other factors are spoken like a true Snob. Whinging Poms no matter were you find them , I glad you are all leaving the UK gives us all peace and quiet.
Hmm it seems Tarian made a tongue-in-cheek reply to my post earlier and then deleted it.

I know he's only having a bit of fun, but I'll reply anyway.

I made no comment about the weather, or the price of BREXIT.

As to Weatherspoons, let's see. I've drank in the Bell Hotel, Queen of ICINI, Glass House and City Gates (now closed), all in Norwich. The Sir Henry Newbolt in Bilston, The Malthouse in Willenhall, Moon Under Water, Wolverhampton, The Assembly Rooms in Epsom, The King's Tun in Kingston, The Three John Scotts in Hull, The Ice Wharf in Derry, and likely many others I've forgotten about, so I do know a thing or two about Weatherspoons. Now where's the beer emoji
Closed Thread

Tags
grass