Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2019, 06:10   #256

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: BREXIT

The Americans seem to enjoy Independence Day, perhaps the UK should have another bank holiday too The Scots could get two with a bit of canny voting if Mrs Sturgeon gets her way. No idea what the Northern Irish would want, that may have to go into the too difficult pile
Old 16-12-2019, 06:30   #257

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpi View Post
While we all wait for Mr. Johnson to "get Brexit done" can someone please enlighten me about it's benefits? Why do the british want out anyway? I get the emotional "we don't want to be ruled by continentals" but that can not be the only reason. There must be some hard economic and social benefits of brexiting, so what are those?
It wasn’t one thing that set the UK on the path to Brexit. But a few reasons (in no certain order) were:

* Once an immigrant entered the EU at any border crossing then that person could travel anywhere in the EU and no country could deny them entry absent a serious criminal offense. London is under constant threat from extremists. Bombings and knife (sword) attacks are now a common place event. Some believe there is a correlation there if you look hard enough.

* several EU member states had to bail out other states who were perceived as profligate spenders. Remember Greece?

* the U.K. never relinquished it’s own currency. So leaving was much simpler than for countries bound to the Euro.

* the EU created a lot of rules and regulations that member states were forced to ratify into law. Citizens could hardly object even if a significant majority would have voted not to pass said rules.

Basically, many in the UK had a neck full of someone outside the UK telling them how to run their country.

There is probably no economic benefit to Brexit for anyone.
Old 16-12-2019, 06:42   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don't believe anyone should be raped (literally or figuratively).
However, further to your literary allegory, I’d, more accurately, characterise the 1% as the rapist, rather than the victim.

According to the 2018 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse Research Institute (previously linked), you need a net worth of $871,320 U.S. to be in the top 1% in the world. Credit Suisse defines net worth, or “wealth,” as “the value of financial assets plus real assets (principally housing) owned by households, minus their debts.”

As Credit Suisse reports:
“While the bottom half of adults collectively owns less than 1 percent of total wealth, the richest decile (top 10 percent of adults) owns 85 percent of global wealth, and the top percentile alone accounts for almost half of all household wealth (47 percent).”

Eighty-two percent of the money made in 2017 went to the richest 1 percent of the world’s population, according to a report by anti-poverty charity Oxfam. In their 2018 report, the richest 42 people in the world had as much wealth as the poorest half.

These numbers reflect the extreme level of persistent wealth inequality.
I got it a little off. I was going by memory.

Are You in the Top One Percent of the World? - Investopedia
https://www.investopedia.com › Personal Finance › Wealth
Sep 25, 2019 - An income of $32,400 per year would allow someone to be among the top 1% of income earners in the world. To reach the top 1% worldwide in terms of wealth—not just income but all you own—you'd have to possess $770,000 in net worth.

I'm not filthy rich, but I definitely make the one per cent of the world by either definition. I would imagine a whole lot of people here do. I worked pretty hard for what I have. My inheritance was a fifteen year old Buick. I don't feel bad about the money I have made, or for wanting to keep it and pass it to my kids.

No matter what Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren say.
Old 16-12-2019, 06:51   #259

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Looking into EU from the outside it boggles the mind how they all are real political control freaks in all aspects of life. I understand that this came about due to the density of the population, several big wars, mutual distrust, etc. But at some point the Europeans, and not just the Brits, have to realize that this is a dead end economically, culturally and creativity wise. In the post-industrial age the control over the populace has to be so subtle that it is not seen or felt. Just like the facebook/google model. And not the legalistic heavy handed model of what is going on in EU today where person's or business' every move has volumes of regulations for or against it.

I laughed when years ago I first learned that EU has strict ratings for suitability of private vessels to go out at sea. And will not allow a lake rated boat to be offshore. At first I thought it was a joke. But my friend the boat builder from the old country was equally surprised that US does not restrict its boaters from ocean travel in whatever craft they chose to sail in. That is the difference in mentality and what I am talking about.
It's worse than that. In Switzerland you can't stand up to pee after a certain time. In Norway you can't ride/drive off-road. Of course these are EEA/EC states rather than EU but the same sort of crap hold true. Like Sunday trading laws in the UK, or mowing your lawn/making audible noise from your home in Bavaria on a Sunday before lunch time.
Old 16-12-2019, 07:09   #260

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
It's worse than that. In Switzerland you can't stand up to pee after a certain time. In Norway you can't ride/drive off-road. Of course these are EEA/EC states rather than EU but the same sort of crap hold true. Like Sunday trading laws in the UK, or mowing your lawn/making audible noise from your home in Bavaria on a Sunday before lunch time.

Singapore isn’t exactly lacking in restrictive personal laws so these kind of things are not exclusive to Europe. Those who hanker after the Singapore Model for the UK should be careful what they wish for.
Old 16-12-2019, 07:25   #261
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Singapore isn’t exactly lacking in restrictive personal laws so these kind of things are not exclusive to Europe. Those who hanker after the Singapore Model for the UK should be careful what they wish for.
I think you will find they mean the Economic Model..
While we are the most 'Watched' population in the world we are in many ways the most laid back.. amongst which
Unique in the EU with our boating rules hard fought for by the RYA etc

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 16-12-2019, 07:42   #262
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Sorry Pelagic, I missed your note on the clever dripper. I had 40 shipped from the roastery in the UK here to give away as Christmas presents.. I kept 5 and noticed today that my family left me two..lol.

An excellent coffee filter and so easy to use. Glad you like it.

On a side note when I was in Thailand in june.... They sell them there (a copy) for $7 each... I bought 10 and gave them to my staff and nurses..

So if you take a side trip to Bangkok, go to JJ mall.. basement and second floor.. they have them
Old 16-12-2019, 07:45   #263
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey Atoll..
I just found out I'm Affluent...
WHEEEeeeeeeee,!!!!
enjoy it whilst it lasts and the pound regains some strength,it will come as quite a surprise to many brexit voting expats that their pensions will probably come in line with the rules that currently apply to those outside the EU who receive UK pensions and WHICH do not get an ANNUAL INCREASE,making the pension about 20% less than what they would receive in the UK.

factor in also that the rules for the NHS and EHIC might also change,and be enforced for non residents coming back to the uk for treatment, (requiring private insurance.) .

also factor in the possibility of compulsory private health care insurance that covers you for both the uk and your country of residence.
Old 16-12-2019, 07:51   #264

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I got it a little off. I was going by memory.

Are You in the Top One Percent of the World? - Investopedia
https://www.investopedia.com › Personal Finance › Wealth
Sep 25, 2019 - An income of $32,400 per year would allow someone to be among the top 1% of income earners in the world. To reach the top 1% worldwide in terms of wealth—not just income but all you own—you'd have to possess $770,000 in net worth.

I'm not filthy rich, but I definitely make the one per cent of the world by either definition. I would imagine a whole lot of people here do. I worked pretty hard for what I have. My inheritance was a fifteen year old Buick. I don't feel bad about the money I have made, or for wanting to keep it and pass it to my kids.

No matter what Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren say.
Another one of these do as I say not as I do deals. Wonder where Liz & Bernie fall within these cut-offs for 1% vilification? 1/10th of 1% maybe?
Old 16-12-2019, 08:01   #265
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
enjoy it whilst it lasts and the pound regains some strength,it will come as quite a surprise to many brexit voting expats that their pensions will probably come in line with the rules that currently apply to those outside the EU who receive UK pensions and WHICH do not get an ANNUAL INCREASE,making the pension about 20% less than what they would receive in the UK.

factor in also that the rules for the NHS and EHIC might also change,and be enforced for non residents coming back to the uk for treatment, (requiring private insurance.) .

also factor in the possibility of compulsory private health care insurance that covers you for both the uk and your country of residence.
One of the things I was observing for HM gov, was how to deal with the issue of exchangable health coverage if UK left the EU. Spain has excellent coverage for its citizens. If a person has a heart pain in the street,, just drop in any hospital and they will be having EKG/ECG within 15 mins, no payment required. Those with residency card have the same cover after a year or 2 depending on where.

However......it seems that will change.

I see from proposal and discussion going on the EU wants to play hardball on getting agreements from Britain. Brits to purchase a 3 year visa with time limits in the EU, ...ahh there is so much Im reading Icant be bothered. Depend on whether Johnson REALLY wants a good deal for Britain or he locks us in to a heap of restrictions just so he can say he did the deal.

Leaving on WTO would be cleaner and save Ł40 billion.
Old 16-12-2019, 08:02   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
It wasn’t one thing that set the UK on the path to Brexit. But a few reasons (in no certain order) were:

* Once an immigrant entered the EU at any border crossing then that person could travel anywhere in the EU and no country could deny them entry absent a serious criminal offense. London is under constant threat from extremists. Bombings and knife (sword) attacks are now a common place event. Some believe there is a correlation there if you look hard enough.

* several EU member states had to bail out other states who were perceived as profligate spenders. Remember Greece?

* the U.K. never relinquished it’s own currency. So leaving was much simpler than for countries bound to the Euro.

* the EU created a lot of rules and regulations that member states were forced to ratify into law. Citizens could hardly object even if a significant majority would have voted not to pass said rules.

Basically, many in the UK had a neck full of someone outside the UK telling them how to run their country.

There is probably no economic benefit to Brexit for anyone.
So it's really just a case of uninformed people judging with their guts? I always tought there must be more to it.
Old 16-12-2019, 08:02   #267
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Another one of these do as I say not as I do deals. Wonder where Liz & Bernie fall within these cut-offs for 1% vilification? 1/10th of 1% maybe?
In America, the average income of the top 1 percent nationwide is $1.32 million. In the Jackson, Wyoming metro area, it’s $16.2 million. That means that the top 1 percent of families in the U.S. earned, on average, 26.3 times as much income as the bottom 99 percent. However, there are 12 US metro areas where the 1 percent make over 40 times more than everyone else
The top one percent of American household net worth starts at $10,374,030.10.
In the second quarter of 2019, the top 1% of households and nonprofit organizations held 32.4% of all net worth, while the lower 50% of households and nonprofit organizations held 1.9% of all net worth in the United States.

Bernie Sanders, has, in fact, amassed an estimated $2.5 million fortune from real estate, investments, government pensions, and earnings from three books, including the 2016 hit Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In. “I wrote a best-selling book. If you write a best-selling book, you can be a millionaire, too,” he recently told the New York Times.
Still, he doesn't crack the 1%.

Old 16-12-2019, 08:04   #268
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpi View Post
So it's really just a case of uninformed people judging with their guts? I always tought there must be more to it.
How do you get to that conclusion?
Old 16-12-2019, 08:09   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
...The current US (largest British trading partner) ...
Approx 55% of British trade goes to the EU, with +- 15% to the US

I think worrying about how we trade with the EU is a bit more pressing than ensuring we get our chlorine chicken from the US!

United Kingdom’s Top Trading Partners
Old 16-12-2019, 08:20   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
That's the funny thing about all of the people who want to go after the one percent. To be in the top one percent of the world, income and wealth wise, you have to have income of over $31,000 a year, and assets of over $500,000 a year.

Still think the one percent needs to be raped?
“Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.”
– Voltaire

Ditto for woman.

Just saying.
Closed Thread

Tags
grass