Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 12:32   #1
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Boat Pirated in the Mediterranean

Has anyone heard about this yet? This is only the second case of piracy in the Northern Med that I am aware of. The other happened in the same location several years ago.

Authorities continue to search for a luxury yacht Armageddon after it was hijacked by pirates last month in the Mediterranean.

Three crew were onboard the 55ft yacht when it was boarded by four armed and masked men, according to reports by Europe Radio 1.

After being held captive for around three hours in a cabin, the owner and crew were set adrift in the yacht's life raft and eventually washed ashore on the north coast of Corsica.

No one was harmed during the incident but the location of the vessel is still unknown.

The yacht had been sailing near îlots des Moines, north of Bonifacio, when it was taken over by the pirates.

Sailors are being asked to keep an eye out for the vessel, which is highly noticeable due to its modern shape and red main sail.

Anyone with information regarding the yacht and its whereabouts are being asked to email
francois.tregouet@glyachting.com or call +33 (0)231690392.
Read more at
Luxury yacht still missing after being hijacked by pirates | ybw
Old 04-03-2014, 16:12   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Boat Pirated in the Mediterranean

Yeah, crazy story. I thought I read that they were still bound when they were put in the dinghy and set adrift. They were very very lucky to get ashore alive.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 16:37   #3
cruiser

I don't even know how to respond to this. I frequently leave comments stating how important it is to lock the companionway, deck hatches and be prepared to protect one's self should it ever become necessary... which usually stir up the usual quit being a paranoid American rants from CF members. 'Guess this crap even happens in the Med.

I'm glad they were OK.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 17:06   #4

Boat: Various

This was a very unique situation of hijacking the yacht. The fact they were not hurt is amazing. The crew mentioned was the owners and a guest.

Now the local government was so interested in insisting it wasn't technically piracy but was more like a luxury auto being stolen, you can imagine their lack of recovery effort. The boat is one of a kind and one would think with an air search could have been discovered as it is a trawler so not going anywhere fast.

Certainly enough to give one pause and concern although would not appear to be connected to all the Somali piracy
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mediterranean