Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2021, 22:32   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Bilateral Agreements and/or other ways to extend time for Schengen countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Spray View Post
Meirriba,

When we looked into this one our stumbling block was the requirement for an Address within Greece. Neither the boat, a marina, nor boatyard was considered an acceptable address. Our consulate in the USA recommended we rent an apartment!

How did you work around this address requirement?

Thanks!
The consulate accepted our marina address on each application. We presented a copy of the marina contract as proof.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 04:00   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Bilateral Agreements and/or other ways to extend time for Schengen countries

Just be careful. At present Greece in particular is offering residence visas freely especially to our new third country friends in the U.K.

As a result there’s a current liberal approach.

It’s not clear how long this will go on fir. The special conditions run till end of 2021 to allow U.K. and some other group to easily achieved “ settled status “
In this regard there are overlooking overstays and so forth ( I’ve several friends who just received their visas )

The U.K. ended it’s settled status process in June.

I would not recommend you overstay any visas as the outcomes can be unpredictable.
Old 30-07-2021, 05:03   #18

Re: Bilateral Agreements and/or other ways to extend time for Schengen countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
Temporary stay of digital nomads
A DIGITAL NOMAD IS a third-country national who is employed or performs work through communication technology for a company or his own company that is not registered in the Republic of Croatia and does not perform work or provide services to employers in the Republic of Croatia.APPLICATION AND DOCUMENTATION
Copies of documents should be submitted in the Croatian or English language.

1. If you are submitting your application in person, you have to fill in Form 1a (bilingual form), or you can submit your application online.
The following should be enclosed to the application:

2. copy of a valid travel document (period of validity of a travel document must be three months longer than the period of validity of intended stay)

3. proof of health insurance (travel or private health insurance must cover the territory of the Republic of Croatia)

4. proof of purpose (contract of employment or other document proving that the person performs work through communication technology for a foreign employer or his own company which is not registered in the Republic of Croatia), that is
statement from the employer or third-country national (as proof that the person performs work through communication technology), and
contract of employment or service contract with a foreign employer, or
copy of the registration of his own company and proof that he performs the said tasks through his own company

5. proof of means of subsistence during his stay in the Republic of Croatia,
You can submit a bank statement or proof of regular income. Pursuant to the Regulation on the manner of calculating and the amount of means of subsistence for third-country nationals in the Republic of Croatia (Official Gazette no. 14/21), which entered into force on 13 February 2021, third-country nationals who are regulating their temporary stay as digital nomads are required to have the amount corresponding to at least 2.5 average monthly net salaries paid for the previous year, in accordance with the official data published by the Croatian Bureau of Statistics. This amount is increased by 10% of the average monthly net salary for each additional family member or life partner or informal life partner. Currently, the amount required on a monthly basis is a minimum of HRK 16,907.50. More precisely, if you intend to stay in the Republic of Croatia for 12 months, you need to prove that you have a minimum of HRK 202,890.00 available.

6. proof that he/she has not been convicted of criminal offences from his/her home country or a country in which he/she resided for more than one year immediately before arriving in the Republic of Croatia (see Information on the legalization of documents).

7. provide address in the Republic of Croatia
When submitting your application and filling in your form, you will be required to provide your address of stay or of intended stay in the Republic of Croatia. This is important for determining the police administration/police station which is locally competent for processing your application. If this is the first time you are applying and you do not have an address in the Republic of Croatia, you can provide a temporary address as the address of your intended stay (hostel/hotel if you have a reservation/confirmed reservation of accommodation).
https://mup.gov.hr/aliens-281621/sta...-nomads/286833

I THINK Similar rule is for other EU contry
check here
https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news...in%2030%20days.
Croatia isn't a full participant in the Schengen, so this doesn't work for Schengen.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 06:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Spray View Post
Meirriba,

When we looked into this one our stumbling block was the requirement for an Address within Greece. Neither the boat, a marina, nor boatyard was considered an acceptable address. Our consulate in the USA recommended we rent an apartment!

How did you work around this address requirement?

Thanks!
The consul in Isrsel accepted our marina contract as a residence address.
Old 23-09-2021, 09:05   #20

As a fellow Cdn I think I know what you are referring to regarding the bilateral agreement. We were looking at the same and we have poked around. From what we have heard is that it varies depending who you talk to. Some authorities feel the Schengen replaces it and dont honour it, others may. I have yet to hear of anyone who has received it despite many people looking for ways to extend
www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news/eu-bilateral-visa-waiver-agreements/amp
Please update if you do find a way!
So far we think the easiest visa option would be the 1 yr tourist visa that you need to apply for from your home.
The second hurdle is will they accept the marina as an address???? France seems stricter regarding residence addresses but it is the most central so we might try there first ….
Again, if anyone is successful (or not!) please share!! Good luck
GR2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 10:45   #21

Boat: L42

SO I have just applied for and been granted a long stay visa for France. I had an apartment rented for the first month and then just stated that I would be in a marina after that. I had no contract or documentation from a marina. I am not yet sure exactly how I will go about my itinerary for this coming year and how the long stay visa will play into that.

Question, when cruising from one schengen country to the next, like from France to Italy, do I need to check out of France and into Italy? I assume I do???

Very likely I will need to head east and visit Croatia or Turkey for a while. Still trying to determine the best option.

Also does anyone know how I obtain my 18 month cruising permit when taking delivery in France?
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 12:29   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
SO I have just applied for and been granted a long stay visa for France. I had an apartment rented for the first month and then just stated that I would be in a marina after that. I had no contract or documentation from a marina. I am not yet sure exactly how I will go about my itinerary for this coming year and how the long stay visa will play into that.

Question, when cruising from one schengen country to the next, like from France to Italy, do I need to check out of France and into Italy? I assume I do???

Very likely I will need to head east and visit Croatia or Turkey for a while. Still trying to determine the best option.

Also does anyone know how I obtain my 18 month cruising permit when taking delivery in France?
No you don't need to check out , nor check in. Once you are initially checked into the Schengen area.
There is no 18 Month cruising permit. There is an 18 month vat exemption for a EU non resident whereby the yacht can remain in the Eu area , there is no paperwork the yacht is simply entitled ! You do not have to apply. Note if you are deemed a resident of any EU country you cannot avail of the temporary import procedure
Old 17-12-2021, 12:47   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Steve, that's interesting. How long a long stay visa did they give you?

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 12:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Steve, that's interesting. How long a long stay visa did they give you?

Pete
Hi Pete,

Jan 16th thru Dec 30th. Almost a year!
Old 17-12-2021, 12:59   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No you don't need to check out , nor check in. Once you are initially checked into the Schengen area.
There is no 18 Month cruising permit. There is an 18 month vat exemption for a EU non resident whereby the yacht can remain in the Eu area , there is no paperwork the yacht is simply entitled ! You do not have to apply. Note if you are deemed a resident of any EU country you cannot avail of the temporary import procedure
This REALLY helps. Sounds like it should be pretty easy. my only concern will be when I want to head to the Canary Islands and then check out to leave for the crossing. I wonder if I would need to check out of France?

Also if I do check out to visit Croatia, would I need to go all the back to France to check back in?? I guess it depends on my timing.

Thanks!!
Old 17-12-2021, 13:45   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Goboatingnow,

In a previous post you listed some countries where you could “duck out” to reset the Schengen clock. That list did not include Turkey. I just checked and Turkey is not Schengen.

Am I missing something ir is there some other reason you omitted Turkey?
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 14:07   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Hi Pete,

Jan 16th thru Dec 30th. Almost a year!
That's good to know, we could use that sort of time to great effect.

Just be aware that today the UK went on Frances naughty list of countries with rapidly increasing Covid cases. No tourist allowed to visit from today. Likely other countries will follow.
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 15:06   #28

Quote:
This REALLY helps. Sounds like it should be pretty easy. my only concern will be when I want to head to the Canary Islands and then check out to leave for the crossing. I wonder if I would need to check out of France?

Also if I do check out to visit Croatia, would I need to go all the back to France to check back in?? I guess it depends on my timing.

Thanks!!
The Canary Islands, the Azores, and Madeira are part of the Schengen Zone, while they are not located in the European continent. The other territories of the European Union Members that are outside of Europe, are exempted from the European Union.

The 26 Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

22 of these countries are European Union member states and four other countries are part of the European Free Trade Association, which are Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein.

EU Member States With Opt-outs
The Republic of Ireland is the only EU member that refused to sign the Schengen Agreement, prior to the 2004 enlargement. Ireland and the UK have formed a Common Travel Area with passport-free travel for their citizens and the three British Crown Dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man, that are outside the European Union.

Prospective Schengen Area Members
Though 22 out of 27 European Union member states are part of the Schengen Zone, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, and Croatia—have not yet been admitted to the Schengen area. Cyprus, which joined the EU in 2004, has to solve the Cyprus dispute before joining the borderless territory of Schengen. On the other hand, although Bulgaria and Romania joined the European Union in 2007, their bid to become part of Schengen has been rejected by the Council of Minister during September 2011. Whereas Croatia was requested to conduct a technical evaluation which started in July 2015. On June 2017 it joined the SIS II for law enforcement cooperation, and the further progress is a political issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eu-schengen-countries.png
Views:	51
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	249933  
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 15:38   #29

Quote:

Thanks!!
You will need to check in in whatever Schengen member country you visit as a 1st stop.
It may be Italy, Greece, any other Schengen member.
Old 17-12-2021, 16:43   #30

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
The Canary Islands, the Azores, and Madeira are part of the Schengen Zone, while they are not located in the European continent. The other territories of the European Union Members that are outside of Europe, are exempted from the European Union.

The 26 Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

22 of these countries are European Union member states and four other countries are part of the European Free Trade Association, which are Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein.

EU Member States With Opt-outs

The Republic of Ireland is the only EU member that refused to sign the Schengen Agreement, prior to the 2004 enlargement. Ireland and the UK have formed a Common Travel Area with passport-free travel for their citizens and the three British Crown Dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man, that are outside the European Union.

Prospective Schengen Area Members

Though 22 out of 27 European Union member states are part of the Schengen Zone, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, and Croatia—have not yet been admitted to the Schengen area. Cyprus, which joined the EU in 2004, has to solve the Cyprus dispute before joining the borderless territory of Schengen. On the other hand, although Bulgaria and Romania joined the European Union in 2007, their bid to become part of Schengen has been rejected by the Council of Minister during September 2011. Whereas Croatia was requested to conduct a technical evaluation which started in July 2015. On June 2017 it joined the SIS II for law enforcement cooperation, and the further progress is a political issue.
Um, I believe Greece is in the Schengen Zone? Map incorrect?
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men