Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2009, 05:33   #1

Best Way to Cross Strait of Gibraltar

My intention is to cross the detroit from Moroco to Spain or Gilbraltar and I would like to know the best way to do it safely.
My boat has a speed limit of 5 nots per hour and the dimension is 12meter long and 3,3m width. It is a motor boat.
So many thinks to know the city of departure in Moroco , the destination in Europe I mean in Spain.
The best month of the year to do it safely. Of course the weather forecast and the wind force will be check daily.
Many thanks in advance for your answers
Intermezzo
intermezzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 22:16   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
I have only crossed in summer/Fall, but from Gibraltar to Smir and then back to southern Spain (Malaga) was easy. Day sails, but at around 5 knots. Just check the weather in advance and have a great day. Watch out for all the big ships, but really not a major issue.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 07:14   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Ok , just wacht for 2 things , the shiping trafic and a levante, a levante is a spanish word for a strong easterly wind.
The levante blow stronger in summer, sometimes gale force, and create a dangerous short step seas in the strait, currents are a isue to , Last time we made a trip from Cadiz to Ibiza we crossed the strait very close to the onshore trafic lane and the boat some times reach 13 knts speed with current , better in sumer.
Good luck.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 12:16   #4

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
Check with the local fishermen. I have been through there in a larger ship, and have always remembered it to be crowded with fishermen, day or night, clear or fog.

Good luck

Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 22:59   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
Quote:
Originally Posted by intermezzo View Post
My intention is to cross the detroit from Moroco to Spain or Gilbraltar and I would like to know the best way to do it safely.
My boat has a speed limit of 5 nots per hour and the dimension is 12meter long and 3,3m width. It is a motor boat.
So many thinks to know the city of departure in Moroco , the destination in Europe I mean in Spain.
The best month of the year to do it safely. Of course the weather forecast and the wind force will be check daily.
Many thanks in advance for your answers
Intermezzo
And remember , your every move is watched and recorded by the Spanish and English authorities !, Algeciras / Gibraltar , I was tracked and shadowed continously in the Straits when traversing one night .
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 17:48   #6

Boat: 33ft sloop
I would like to back Jim and Ramos.

I crossed the Strait many times but only in summer and early september.

It is not a big deal, just watch the weather, the Strait is only a few hours crossing. Be sure that you are watched, by Spanish and UK Coastguard, although the Spanish are more fanatic than the British. However, when they see the little progress you make, they will take you from the list of suspects.
Suspected targets are the fast powerboats. And of course sailingboats with suspected flags (Holland f.i.)

Watch the Levante at all times. If you are in Morocco watch the cloudy and foggy air. That means that a Levante is coming within the next 24 hrs.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Gibraltar