Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2014, 13:30   #1

Beneteau oceanis 31 for 5-6 months in the med?

Hi everyone -

My partner and I are thinking about taking a 6 month sabbatical from work and having our beloved 2008 beneteau oceanis 31 shipped /delivered to the med and then spending the better part of half a year sailing / exploring / enjoying Europe before having her shipped / delivered back at which point we return to our jobs and the "real world" - we are both in our early 30's and want to take this opportunity while we're young, healthy and somewhat 'free' of responsibility.

A couple questions that I'd love your help with....

1) Boat - is a 31 foot modern production boat too small for this area? We sail the Solent in the UK and English channel and are not opposed to "roughing it"
2) What modifications would you recommend? - off the top of my mind I know I've got to a) add air conditioning, b) a generator c) cockpit awning (we'll likely convert / adapt our full cockpit enclosure to a sun shade) d) other?
3) Shipping from the UK vs. having the boat delivered. Ideally we'd like to start in Nice in June and end in Barcelona in November. What would be the preferred method to get the boat there and back safely and in a somewhat cost effective manner? What's a reasonable budget for this and are there any suggestions for reputable companies? I'd personally love to sail her myself but that's a lot of time that we don't have.
4) Budget - right now we we are budgeting £1000 - £1500 per month for food, berthing fees, water, diesel, etc - this is what we've gathered from what we've read online - is it realistic or are we dreaming? We are not bothered to spend time on the hook as we know all to well how expensive marina charges can add up. We are not fine dinning people nor do we need to be having expensive drinks in the hottest clubs on Saturday night...
5) Ports of call - we'd like to see France, Italy, the Greek / Turkey islands, Cypress, Egypt, Malta, Tunisia and Spain before our trip Is over- is this too advantageous to complete over 5-6 months on a 31 foot boat? What are the must hit destinations, vs. what can be missed?
6) Any other advice from those who may have already done this - ie If you could turn back the hands in time you'd do xxxx differently or would have planned for xxxx.

Many thx in advance everyone.
Chuckbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 14:26   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Beneteau oceanis 31 for 5-6 months in the med?

Less then 10m is an advantage.

Berths in the season are very difficult in France in the season.

1000 euros a month , is just doable , but will exclude staying in marinas. ( much ) in 2010 we did it for average 30 euros a day but this excluded marina stays.

You're itinerary is very aggressive id cut it back and spend longer is fewer destinations.

Dave
Old 20-04-2014, 14:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau oceanis 31 for 5-6 months in the med?

I'll go with GBN... and forget the air conditioning.. spend your time on the hook and invest in some good wind scoops and a decent bimini.. you'll be spending more time topside than below.
I'd skip France.. not much of interest there.. but that's just my opinion..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 06:17   #4

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht
Re: Beneteau oceanis 31 for 5-6 months in the med?

Brilliant idea - go for it!

To deal with your questions one by one:

1. A 31 footer is not too small BUT you need to be realistic about weather conditions if you want to enjoy yourselves. Also you mustn't be too ambitious in passage planning as you won't average much more than 5.0 knots in the Med.

2. I wouldn't bother with air conditioning, but a bimini (rather than just an awning) is a real asset. Equally you'd be better off with a decent solar panel array than a generator unless you're absolutely set on having ice for your daily G&T. We have both and our generator gets hardly any use in a typical season. However, you'll need a powered windlass for stern-to Med mooring, which you'll be doing a lot of if you get as far as Greece, and a passarelle (or at least a plank) for getting ashore.

3. Can't comment as I have no experience of this.

4. Your budget sounds OK as long as you don't plan on spending most of your time in marinas (which can knock you back €75 -100 a night in some parts of France and Italy).

5. Your planned itinerary is much too ambitious. You'll spend all your time sailing and won't get much time to enjoy the history and culture of the places you visit. For a six month itinerary, I'd go no further than S. France (including the Iles d'Hyeres and the Calanques of Marseille); Corsica; Sardinia; maybe some of the Italian islands; Sicily and finally maybe a quick circuit across the Ionian to the Greek Ionian islands (though even that might be pushing it a bit). An alternative would be to return along the Italian mainland coast after visiting Sicily.

6. What would I have done differently? Well, skipped the S coast of Spain (which is mostly dire and expensive) and - certainly during the peak sailing season - the Balearics, which are mayhem in July and August.

Hope this helps. The most important point I'd make is to remember that sailing is simply a mode of transport (albeit a very enjoyable one). If you don't allow enough time at your various destinations you might just as well stay at home and race around the buoys.

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 21-04-2014, 18:50   #5

Boat: Comet 41s

I think it would be way too much for 5 months. I do about that each year on a bigger and faster boat not covering as much ground as you want to do. The Med is very interesting but the coastline with all those Islands is huge.

For one year (5months) I would say you can explore the Balearic Islands, Corsica, Elba, Sardinia and leave the boat in Sardinia or mainland Italy. Believe me if you really want to know those Islands and they deserve to be known, that is plenty. Next year you can continue but to do all the Med I would say you would need about 4 times your 5 months and all is a way to say because much will remain to be seen.

Also the Med is not as easy to sail as many thought. If you are experienced that would not be a problem with your boat but there will be days were you will remain in port. When the wind blows at 20k or over going against it, even motoring will be very slow and uncomfortable. Much more dificult then on the Atlantic due to the short period waves that makes sailing very uncomfortable and slow to the point of not being worth it.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 14:25   #6

Many thx everyone for all the great tips - will look at the map and cut out as appropriate as we want to enjoy ourselves! Will also explore solar, wind scoop etc and likely put AC and generator on hold.

Quick question about getting the boat there. Right now I've got a couple quotes back on shipping via road or delivery via a certified captain - both quotes have been outrageous!!!

Does anyone...
A) know of a more reasonable way to get the boat down there from the UK?
B) know about the canal system - I've heard mixed reviews - will a boat with a 1.8m draft work? How long does it take? It it an enjoyable way to get down there?

Any and all insights would be greatly appreciated!

Many thx!!
Old 22-04-2014, 18:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckbuck View Post
d
Does anyone...

Many thx!!
Sure! Sail it to the med. It would take you about a month but you could Join to your cruising pleasures the Rias Galegas, Portugal west coast and Algarve.

If you do that mid May and chose the right time to pass Biscay you will not have any problem. Anyway it is all downwind sailing and Gibraltar strait and Gibraltar itself is well worth of a visit.
Old 22-04-2014, 19:00   #8

Quote:
Many thx everyone for all the great tips - will look at the map and cut out as appropriate as we want to enjoy ourselves! Will also explore solar, wind scoop etc and likely put AC and generator on hold.

Quick question about getting the boat there. Right now I've got a couple quotes back on shipping via road or delivery via a certified captain - both quotes have been outrageous!!!

Does anyone...
B) know about the canal system - I've heard mixed reviews - will a boat with a 1.8m draft work? How long does it take? It it an enjoyable way to get down there?

Many thx!!
I agree with previous comments, cautions & experienced hints.
I'l add a few more.
Weather - mid October & November in the Med can be less than pleasant or at the risk jumps up compared to August/ September.

Budget - when you add shipping (pricey,huh ) Fuel - you will probably burn more if you are on a schedule (not a good idea)

Sailing Conditions - None, Little or Too Much is what you will see too many times

Alternative - Shorten the time frame, Charter (bargain for multi-week deals & fly cheap...........You could take your boat hop the channel and visit Northern France - cross the bay of Biscay (weather window) Cruise Northern/ NE Spain - come back home with $$ in your pocket.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 04:19   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

You could consider trucking it down , about 10k in costs. Often less wear and tear then sailing it down. Especially useful if you want to maximise time in the med.

Dave
Old 24-04-2014, 02:22   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

You could ask Phil (Boatman 61) for a quote to deliver her, think he likes Beneteaus having sailed a couple long distance.

Also after you have finished the grand tour, why not leave her in say Greece or Turkey or even Tunisia and return the following summer for another few weeks, then bring her home.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 04:39   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau oceanis 31 for 5-6 months in the med?

Quote:
What's the outrageous cost for a delivery skipper... starting to worry I'm missing out...

PS: Have been told I'm Certifiable..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Also after you have finished the grand tour, why not leave her in say Greece or Turkey or even Tunisia and return the following summer for another few weeks, then bring her home.
That's what I suggested. The Med is worth to be known but 6 months coming from UK and back will only allow a very small look at it. 6 months without coming back that's another story and you will have time to know the bigger part of the Western Med.

Even if after that you will only have a month of vacations, a month on the Balearic or Sardinia/Corsica or Greece is a lot of time. There are places not very expensive to leave a boat on the hard. I have been doing that for several years.
Old 26-04-2014, 15:24   #13

Great suggestions - many thx everyone!!!