Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 08:32   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 53
Cool Bavaria C45 Style vs C50 Style

We are looking at purchasing either a Bavaria C45 Style or C50 Style, both would be owner versions with single owners cabin.

Question to the forum:

1. Does anyone have experience with the Bavaria brand, especially newer boats 2018+

2. Does the dingy garage work or is the space too limited for a decent dingy for 2 adults.

3. Both boats look like they'd be short-handed sailing capable with a furling main and jib (self-tacking).

4. Is the C50 too much boat, or would you stay at the C45 level (especially for med marina's - is there a shortage of berths for the bigger boats?

We intend sailing 6 months, then storing the boat dry for 6 months (Croatia) so extended Med cruising.

My experience mainly lies with ocean racing 26ft,36ft, 40ft yachts, but then we had tons of crew.

Thank you
Dirk
Dirk in the Med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 10:46   #2

Boat: Bavaria C57
Re: Bavaria C45 Style vs C50 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk in the Med View Post
We are looking at purchasing either a Bavaria C45 Style or C50 Style, both would be owner versions with single owners cabin.

Question to the forum:

1. Does anyone have experience with the Bavaria brand, especially newer boats 2018+

2. Does the dingy garage work or is the space too limited for a decent dingy for 2 adults.

3. Both boats look like they'd be short-handed sailing capable with a furling main and jib (self-tacking).

4. Is the C50 too much boat, or would you stay at the C45 level (especially for med marina's - is there a shortage of berths for the bigger boats?

We intend sailing 6 months, then storing the boat dry for 6 months (Croatia) so extended Med cruising.

My experience mainly lies with ocean racing 26ft,36ft, 40ft yachts, but then we had tons of crew.

Thank you
Dirk
Hi Dirk,

Just purchased a C57 which I plan to sail with my wife so to answer your questions;

1 Not yet but shortly will be sailing to the Med from the UK. However, read many reviews and it seems the new C range is a cut above the cruiser range in regards to quality and performance.

2 On the C57 i have measured and can for a 2.7m 3D dinghy inflated with 9.9 outboard. I think the C50 garage is smaller but you can always deflate the front section when on long passages. Short passages just tow.

3 I am confident my wife and I can manage the C57 so the C50 should be no problem. Self tacking jib makes this a single handed boat. Add a code 0 to the inventory and you will have a perfect set up.

4 Specify electric winches and get yourself good ground tackle, a water maker, lots of solar and stay out of marinas. Either way don't think you will have a problem for space just your bank balance!

Mike
Haddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria