Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 06:24   #1

Bareboat in the Mediterranean

I did try some searches, but many questions remain. I have only chartered in the Caribbean, but am looking at going to the Mediterranean. Could I get some feedback on the following:

Where: I have heard good things about Croatia, Turkey, and Greece. Is one better than others for a first-timer? Other better choices to look into?

When: I have read about the Meltemi and the winter southerlies, and would just as soon avoid such challenges - We will be on vacation! Our calendar is open, so when is the best time to avoid the crowds, best weather, etc.? Any insight would be helpful. A Greek friend told me that there is only one month of the year when there is enough wind to be reliable. (His family has a home in the Greek Islands.) However, my research so far has not supported this idea. What is the scoop?

Who: Any recommendation on charter companies, pro or con, would be very helpful.

And last: I have chartered before without formal certification, but I understand that I will need ICC certification in the Med. But no one in my crew has certification. - Will I need one of them to get some certification?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:42   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Bareboat in the Mediterranean

Google 2 or 3 big bareboat charterers in the med and send them your questions.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:55   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Vency

The best time to cruise in Greece(Central and North) is mid-April till mid-June and Sept to Nov.

Those time frame is with nice temperatures(not cold, not hot,less tourists) and fair wind.
Meltemi wind starts from usually around 16:00 (often whole day)and hit 30+ knots.

Chartering in Greece needs to show license (RYA, ICC or similar) for min 2 persons in crew.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:35   #4

Thanks. So far I have found some good prices in the Lagoon 38-40 foot range in May-June time frames from EasySailing-Greece; - N° Yacht Charters; Ionian Charters, in the 3,000-5,000 Euros/week range, even for reasonably new boats. Can anyone recommend for or against any of these companies?
Old 06-07-2017, 12:38   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Vency

In Ionian sea - Lefkas(Levkada), there is a lot of charter companies.
Also, well known in USA - SunSail.
Also check - Ionian Yachting Ltd / Ionian Charter - Ionian Charter - Yacht Charters in Greece.

3-5k for cat is normal price.
Old 06-07-2017, 22:04   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

Ionian and Saronic gulf (south of Athens) are relatively Meltemi free.
Best scenery is S/W Turkey.
Aegean meltemi usually reigns during second part of June through July-August.
Same for the dreaded Bora of the Adriatic.
Yes - you need some sort of certificate to charter a boat.
All the above is only statistics and may be different on particular day and with particular charter company but as a guideline this is it.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

First of all, about these mythes on the meltemi that I keep on reading on CF..
I am leaving in the SW coast of Turkey for more than 10 years and cruising winter/summer almost every day. Meltemi here exceeds 20 kts very rarely, 30+ is once or twice a year. The meltemi can be very strong in the middle of Aegean sea, 30+ kts are very common in Mikanos, Santorini, Chios, etc..

For chartering, SW of Turkey is the best option except for mid July-mid August when it's very hot.. The Ionian side of Greece also is a good alternative.
For Turkey, you need to show whatever the document you need in yr own country to sail a similar boat.
I am running a charter company in Marmaris, so if you need any further info, send me a PM.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:28   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

You've gotten good advice.

I agree with the others that SW Turkey would be my first choice, but avoid the hot time of the year.

My personal experience with the Meltemi is a bit rougher than what Yeloya describes here, but keep in mind that it only blows for part of the day, and blows out of a clear sky. It's not actually that big a deal -- you just don't want to be trying to get upwind while it's blowing.

If you've never been to Turkey before, take enough time to explore on land, too. You will kick yourself if you don't. It's a majorly cool country with fantastic food and lots and lots of things to see. With the exchange rates and decline in tourism lately, it's a bargain on top of all of the foregoing, and not crowded.

Greece and Croatia are also great, but Croatia is more complicated and more expensive and would not be my choice for a first Med charter cruise. Greece is very good, but a bit harder to access, because most of the good places are out in the islands. With limited time, Turkey is better -- fly straight in and get on the boat and sail away.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:39   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

the current state of the Aegean
http://www.poseidon.hcmr.gr/images/m...db17070715.png
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:01   #10

I recently chartered in Marmaris Turkey with .....http://www.offshore-sailing.net

I can't say enough about this company and sailing in Turkey. My strongest recommendation.

We went in May during Ramadan...( seemed like we had the whole place to ourselves) We sailed both the Lycian and Carian coasts. Great value, GREAT food, Great people and an AWESOME charter company.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:10   #11

Thank you everyone, very helpful info! I will start looking into Turkey more.

Wow that poseidon map from chuckr had a lot of area with near gale and some of gale force winds. Since this is July I guess that is the Meltemi.

We will spend some time on land either before or after the charter. We have plenty of time to plan, as we will probably go in 2018 or possibly even later.

Any further intel is appreciated. I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks

BS'er
Old 07-07-2017, 22:56   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
Thank you everyone, very helpful info! I will start looking into Turkey more.

Wow that poseidon map from chuckr had a lot of area with near gale and some of gale force winds. Since this is July I guess that is the Meltemi.

We will spend some time on land either before or after the charter. We have plenty of time to plan, as we will probably go in 2018 or possibly even later.

Any further intel is appreciated. I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks

BS'er

this particular meltimi set in about 3-4 days ago and looks like it will last 5-7 more - we have met a few boats in northern Greece that are privately owned and were headed south but opted out due to the weather and a couple headed that way are sitting waiting
we are headed south very gradually in 3-4 days, we sailed to Thessaloniki, and will have to deal with it - patience is required and watching the weather and finding good protected anchorages
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:06   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
Could I get some feedback on the following:

Where: I have heard good things about Croatia, Turkey, and Greece. Is one better than others for a first-timer? Other better choices to look into?

When: I have read about the Meltemi and the winter southerlies, and would just as soon avoid such challenges - We will be on vacation! Our calendar is open, so when is the best time to avoid the crowds, best weather, etc.?
Google "jimb mediterranean" and top of the list is a web page which which answers your Where? and When? questions for the Mediterranean. It also shows you where the stronger wind areas are. There aren't that many strong wind areas in the Med! It then gives brief comparisons between sailing in Greece, Turkey or Croatia. Those summaries link to pages with more dietail. Or just google "jimb Greece" or "jimb turkey" - and you'll go straight there.
Quote:
And last: I have chartered before without formal certification, but I understand that I will need ICC certification in the Med. But no one in my crew has certification. - Will I need one of them to get some certification?
Yes, at least one, and sometimes two certificates are needed. Generally, in the Med, to charter, the "ICC" (for your boat type) is acceptable. National certificates are also acceptable to many charter companies. You'll have to ask. But they'll often advise that you carry a translation of the key phrases. Croatia keeps an comprehensive list of acceptable national certificates . . . so no need for translations if that's where you go.

Yes, you can google "jimb ICC" too. Google knows that "jimb" is a website all about sailing things and places . . .

JimB!
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 15:29   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
Google "jimb mediterranean" and top of the list is a web page which which answers your Where? and When? questions for the Mediterranean. It also shows you where the stronger wind areas are. There aren't that many strong wind areas in the Med! It then gives brief comparisons between sailing in Greece, Turkey or Croatia. Those summaries link to pages with more dietail. Or just google "jimb Greece" or "jimb turkey" - and you'll go straight there.
Yes, at least one, and sometimes two certificates are needed. Generally, in the Med, to charter, the "ICC" (for your boat type) is acceptable. National certificates are also acceptable to many charter companies. You'll have to ask. But they'll often advise that you carry a translation of the key phrases. Croatia keeps an comprehensive list of acceptable national certificates . . . so no need for translations if that's where you go.

Yes, you can google "jimb ICC" too. Google knows that "jimb" is a website all about sailing things and places . . .

JimB!
Hi Jim,

I appreciate yr efforts in helping the cruisers in the Med. I've checked yr web and I don't know how much you sailed personally in the countries that you are referring to. Most of the info I've seen on Greece are quite accurate (I probably haven't sailed as much as you did in Greece) but am sailing extensively in Turkey. Unfortunately most of of the info you you are giving on Turkey are inaccurate and most likely based oın third peroson's views or on Google.
In Turkey, the certificate requirements are not depending on the charter companies. There are requirements imposed by the harbour masters and the insurance companies. The charter companies have to follow these regulations. The certificate that can be satisfacotry for the charter company may not be so for the harbour master or the insurance company. The basic rule is that everyone who is bareboat chartering in Turkey needs to have whatever document is necessary in his own country for sailing the same vessel in his country of origine. Some countries (llike France) do not any certificate for sailing the small sailing boats (bateaux de plaisance) unless they do it professionally. Then we present to harbour master that the captain is french and in France there is no need for certificate for sailing those vessels and that's it.
ICC, RYA , IYT has no meaning here while International Semanship
certificate (with all STCW completed) has. Past charter experience can be more vailid than ICC or the like.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:33   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Hi Yelova,

Thanks for your correction about Turkish state requirements for certificates.

I deliberately quoted Charter company requirements, rather than state requirements, since charter companies have a responsiblity (in UK, anyway) for ensuring that their clients: (1) have the experience to charter safely, and (2) meet any local needs for certification and (3) meet conditions which match their insurance cover.

So, the short answer about qualifications is "ask the charterer; make sure the contract accepts your qualifications".

I first cruised the whole Turkish coast line (except Black sea) in 1984 to find locations for sailing holiday destinations. For some 10 years we operated about 24 yachts, and several windsurf/dinghy sailing centres, then I sold out. Most of our clients had sailed in Greece or Sardinia, and their most frequent questions were to ask "what's different?". Before this, I'd done a lot of big boat skippering for Channel, Biscay, Irish and Scottish cruising. Always, the same questions "what's different?". That's what started my habit of comparing the cruising areas of Europe.

After selling out, we bought a boat, re-visited all the favourites, and included 7 years pootling around the Mediterranean. Meanwhile, converting notebooks into the website. But that was up to 2007.

Since then, readers have sent me loads of updates and corrections as things have changed. And I charter from time to time.

I've had very little feedback from Turkey over the last 4 years, so maybe it's becoming a little out of date. I would very much welcome comments added to any pages to point out errors - or differences of opinion. I think your inputs would be most useful!

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, mediterranean