Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 00:05   #16

Re: Bareboat in the Mediterranean

From my experience as far as beauty goes, each has its own charm. Price is also very similar. The big difference is the way boats rope-off in the marinas. Only Greece lacks lazy lines and the marinas are packed on top of each other aome times.
Menlim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menlim3 View Post
From my experience as far as beauty goes, each has its own charm. Price is also very similar. The big difference is the way boats rope-off in the marinas. Only Greece lacks lazy lines and the marinas are packed on top of each other aome times.
Everyplace we moored in Turkey had lazy lines....and we always had lots of help.

One reason we loved sailing Turkey in May is that many places were quite deserted.....even had room to side tie a few times.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1104.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	151538
Old 10-07-2017, 02:44   #18

Could be. Havn't sailed in Turkey yet. Now I will hopefully.
Old 17-07-2017, 06:41   #19

What are these lazy lines you mention? I am not familiar with that term.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 06:58   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
mooring lines
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 07:15   #21

When I back in my stern to the dock and tie up my stern to the dock with a rope on each side thats half the job. The other half is tieing up the bow without an anchor. This is done with lazy lines. Ropes that go from the doxk to a heavy piece of concrete underwater a few meters in front of the bow. The line is pulled up from the water and tied to the bow cleat. Similar to a mooring buoy just near the dock.
Old 17-07-2017, 16:46   #22

Interesting, I'm not familiar with that. Thanks.
Old 18-07-2017, 02:48   #23

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Interesting, I'm not familiar with that. Thanks.
its the line the Harbour master gives you to tie the front cleat to a big block of concrete , unless there are no mooring lines available you dont drop your anchor and reverse , you use the mooring line

ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 02:53   #24

And from my experience in Greece they dont use these lazy lines. Rather, you must drop an anchor and then backup to dock. I'd be interested in hearing other people's experience in Greece rgdg lazy lines.
Old 18-07-2017, 04:19   #25

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
And from my experience in Greece they dont use these lazy lines. Rather, you must drop an anchor and then backup to dock. I'd be interested in hearing other people's experience in Greece rgdg lazy lines.
Marinas and charter companies pontons usually have lazy lines, town keys does not or are not maintained and disappear quickly, the ground chain is still there waiting to catch your anchor...
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 14:30   #26

Quote:
This was actually our first Med mooring in Turkey. If you look closely at the port bow cleat, you can clearly see the lazy line. Just back the yacht up close enough to tie off the upwind stern line, take the lazy line from the helper on the dock, walk to the bow and tie it off. Repeat for the other side and adjust lines/tensions as necessary.

You may notice a bit of a breeze in the pic...crosswind and downwind.
....easy peasy in a Cat...esp with no boats on the upwind side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1021.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	152152
Old 18-07-2017, 15:37   #27

Quote:
Just back from a week sailing out of Corfu. Gouvia marina is all lazy lines, and I saw a few on the newer part of the dock in Mourtos (on Greek mainland), but other than that it was anchors.

We spent most nights anchored out in bays and coves, running lines ashore if needed. Much quieter and more breeze.
terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 13:45   #28

Thanks that looks cool. Is it standard for charter boats in the Med to have dinghies with outboards? It is in the Caribbean. If so, it seems like it is more common for people to want to tie up to the quay in the Med, whereas in the Carribean I would only anchor or moor, and ride to shore in the dinghy. The only time I would tie up at a dock is to get fuel or water.

Or is there more of a difference between cruisers vs. charterers on this approach?
Old 22-07-2017, 18:10   #29

Quote:
Thanks that looks cool. Is it standard for charter boats in the Med to have dinghies with outboards? It is in the Caribbean. If so, it seems like it is more common for people to want to tie up to the quay in the Med, whereas in the Carribean I would only anchor or moor, and ride to shore in the dinghy. The only time I would tie up at a dock is to get fuel or water.

Or is there more of a difference between cruisers vs. charterers on this approach?
I don't know what usually comes standard in the Med with most companies. Our outboard was "extra". Which is funny. We used it ONCE for about 15 minutes to run to shore and back on our last night.

Since I already paid for it, we just HAD to go for a dinghy ride dammit! :big grin:
Old 02-08-2017, 03:51   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

This may not be the best year for charter boats in the Eastern Med - Turkey a bit better than Eastern Greece and northern Greece better than eastern and southern Greece. We are sitting Karistos since 7-28 waiting out a meltimi - last night had winds of 46k - and we have about 6 more days of it - we did come in early to get a spot and the dock is full - one charter came just as the meltimi began and took out one guys anchor (he was just thrilled about that) but has been sitting here since - sure hope it is a 2 week charter as his week will be up before the meltimi subsides -
we are headed to Crete and guess what - a look at the long range forecast gives us 4 days to get there before the next meltimi comes in
and we are beginning to run short on Schengen days -
we are lucky we are headed south so when seas die down a bit we can go as it will be a down hill sail but I am way to old to take on 4-6' seas on a very close interval - and when we leave no islands visits unfortunately as we need to get to Crete so we can spend some time there before getting out of Schengen and save a few days for Cyprus

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/karystos_evia_
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, mediterranean