Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 11:09   #1

Bareboat in Croatia, Greece, and Turkey (Cat ?)

I am planning a cruising trip for July, August, and September in the eastern Med. It will be my wife and I and our 13 year old son.

My thoughts are July in Croatia, August in Greece and September in Turkey.

I'm considering leasing a 40 foot sailing catamaran. I'd love to get opinions and advice on whether this would be an appropriate boat for the area. Would I have trouble getting a berth? Anchoring etc. I'm worried I may be limiting my cruising options if I go with a catamaran rather than a monohull due to the huge beam

Would really appreciate help in making this decision.

Thanks,

Brian
bcoryat@yahoo.com
bcoryat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:30   #2

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
you wont have trouble getting a berth as most charter companys operating out of Alimos Marina In athens have 4 or 5 cat's but be warned where mooring fees are charged here in the med they will double . and i usally see up to 3 a week here in Naxos ( cyclades Islands )

see www.naxosisland.eu
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 00:16   #3

I can just give an advice for Croatia. It can be a problem to find a berth at small islands. For ACI Marinas no, but you do not want to see Aci Marinas. There are so many islands which you can not miss in Croatia and choice of boat shouldn't be that obstacle.

This is my opinion.

If you need any help for Croatia, itinerary, restaurant, just ask.
GULET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 03:15   #4

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
I have chartered a leopard 46 for the past two years in Croatia. We have been sailing in the beginning of July. We have never had a problem with moorings. You moor stern too with bowlines.

The ACI marina's were more expensive, we mostly tied up at town quays or anchored in bays. It is a stunning sailing spot and we loved it.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 03:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
I have chartered a leopard 46 for the past two years in Croatia. We have been sailing in the beginning of July. We have never had a problem with moorings. You moor stern too with bowlines.

The ACI marina's were more expensive, we mostly tied up at town quays or anchored in bays. It is a stunning sailing spot and we loved it.
It is nice to know that someone have this good experience here. I agree that you can moor at town quays, but as I said, there are so many nice places, islands, where you do not want to anchor only, you want to come closer, explore it (at least me). But, boat preferences sometimes are key.
If you are planning to visit croatian coast, do not miss Trogir, Zadar, Dubrovnik...
GULET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, Croatia, Greece, Turkey