Old 05-12-2019, 12:08   #16

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
Re: Baltic Sea Charts for OpenCPN

Have you looked at these?
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:56   #17

Boat: Långedrag 43 ft (corten steel)

If you are about to sail along the Swedish coast (both the Baltic and the westcoast), let me know if you have any questions or want some tips and local guidance of great spots you just can't miss. I've both sailed and sea kayaked the whole coast of Sweden so I know it by heart

One destination you really should explore is the archipelago of *Misterhult*, the belt of islands starting from city Oskarshamn up to city Västervik. My abosulte favorite spot along the whole coast of Sweden. BUT, it's also the most complicated and rockiest archipelago in the country - so I really suggest you to use updated plotter charts/paper charts from the Swedish Maritime Administration (Start - Sjofartsverket) Once sailed thru this archipelago you can just proceed along the whole belt up to Stockholm, with about 2000-4000 islands in every Municipality. Alot to explore! One great sailing route is from Kalmar, along the coast up to the foot of Misterhult archipelago north of Oskarshamn, sailing north along the belt of Gryt-, St.Anna, Arkösund-, Stendörren archipelagos.

Another top destination is ofcourse the High Coast, in the northern regions. Known for its perfect sailing waters and great depth so close almost all islands in the archipelago. It is the place on Earth with highest land raise. It also has the highest island in Sweden, called *Mjältön* (great port, so its worth a visit to climb te top )
Old 12-02-2020, 21:53   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_TE View Post
If you are about to sail along the Swedish coast (both the Baltic and the westcoast), let me know if you have any questions or want some tips and local guidance of great spots you just can't miss. I've both sailed and sea kayaked the whole coast of Sweden so I know it by heart

One destination you really should explore is the archipelago of *Misterhult*, the belt of islands starting from city Oskarshamn up to city Västervik. My abosulte favorite spot along the whole coast of Sweden. BUT, it's also the most complicated and rockiest archipelago in the country - so I really suggest you to use updated plotter charts/paper charts from the Swedish Maritime Administration (Start - Sjofartsverket) Once sailed thru this archipelago you can just proceed along the whole belt up to Stockholm, with about 2000-4000 islands in every Municipality. Alot to explore! One great sailing route is from Kalmar, along the coast up to the foot of Misterhult archipelago north of Oskarshamn, sailing north along the belt of Gryt-, St.Anna, Arkösund-, Stendörren archipelagos.

Another top destination is ofcourse the High Coast, in the northern regions. Known for its perfect sailing waters and great depth so close almost all islands in the archipelago. It is the place on Earth with highest land raise. It also has the highest island in Sweden, called *Mjältön* (great port, so its worth a visit to climb te top )

The Swedish coast is fabulous and I have cruised multiple times the South and East coasts, and besides that Gotland and Faro. I know Misterhult. This part October when my boat was in Kalmar for a week I even did some "land cruising" -- rented a car and drove all over the island of Oeland. I have a good friend with a house on the High Coast and might go up there this summer. I don't know the West Coast (other than Malmo) but hear that North of Gothenburg is another fabulous archipelago.

Sweden and Finland are top cruising grounds. I guess I haven't seen anything better anywhere in the world. Denmark is also nice, but for gorgeous natural beauty plus as much wilderness as you want but with access to very unobtrusive civilization if you want or need it, Sweden and Finland are the best.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 10:58   #19

Hello, we are a group from Madrid and we are thinking of sailing a week (last August) through Sweden, renting a boat in Stockholm. The idea is to sail during the day and dock on different islands. You can suggest me recommendations about routes, information about rock danger. Is Navionics appropriate?
Thank you.
karlsruhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 03:20   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsruhe View Post
Hello, we are a group from Madrid and we are thinking of sailing a week (last August) through Sweden, renting a boat in Stockholm. The idea is to sail during the day and dock on different islands. You can suggest me recommendations about routes, information about rock danger. Is Navionics appropriate?
Thank you.

A week isn't nearly enough to sail "through Sweden", the coast is probably 1000 miles long. You'd need a whole summer just to scratch the surface. So if a week is all you have, just pick a place and get a little taste of it -- that's the best you can do in that amount of time.

This would be a good place:
https://www.yachtcharter-connection....%C3%A4stervik/

Or Aland, or Stockholm Archipelago.

You will be mostly anchoring, not docking. The charter base can give you tips on where to go and how to avoid the rocks.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 18-02-2020, 04:29   #21

Thanks for the recommendation and the information, unfortunately we only have one week to navigate the Stockholm archipelago
Old 18-02-2020, 10:09   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation and the information, unfortunately we only have one week to navigate the Stockholm archipelago

Well there are 1000's of islands in the Stockholm archi. You won't "navigate it". You'll just get a little taste. Choose a charter base first and then ask them for recommendations in that specific location. Best choose a base which is not in Stockholm itself but already out in the islands, because it's a whole day to get out of Stockholm and into the archi. Some place like Sandhamn; you can take a ferry there.
Walt Whitman
Old 18-02-2020, 14:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well there are 1000's of islands in the Stockholm archi. You won't "navigate it". You'll just get a little taste. Choose a charter base first and then ask them for recommendations in that specific location. Best choose a base which is not in Stockholm itself but already out in the islands, because it's a whole day to get out of Stockholm and into the archi. Some place like Sandhamn; you can take a ferry there.
Thanks a lot. The idea is to go from one island to another that have moorings. You are right, it is not a place to navigate. I take note of your suggestions.
Old 18-02-2020, 14:50   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks a lot. The idea is to go from one island to another that have moorings. You are right, it is not a place to navigate. I take note of your suggestions.

You will mostly be at anchor. There are 1000's of islands but few harbours.
Walt Whitman
Old 19-02-2020, 12:12   #25

Boat: 29 ft

As for harbours in Sweden (above question) - may I throw in the https://www.gasthamnsguiden.se/ ?
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesti View Post
As for harbours in Sweden (above question) - may I throw in the https://www.gasthamnsguiden.se/ ?
Thank you

Tags
baltic, charts, enc, opencpn