Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2022, 17:23   #1

Avoiding fog off the Portuguese coast in July

Hi! My wife and I will be sailing down the West coast of Portugal this coming July. We don't know the area, but are aware that boats on that route often experience fog, sometimes all day long, at that time of the year. No doubt this is due to the warmer air over land drifting over to the cooler sea and cooling down, causing condensation.

Does anyone know how far offshore you would typically have to sail to avoid or get out of, the fog?

Our boat does have radar and AIS, but avoiding the fog as much as possible would make for a safer and much more pleasant experience.
southatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 23:20   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Avoiding fog off the Portuguese coast in July

Following. We are about to leave from Cordemais France around the 15th.
Old 03-06-2022, 00:05   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by southatlantic View Post
Hi! My wife and I will be sailing down the West coast of Portugal this coming July. We don't know the area, but are aware that boats on that route often experience fog, sometimes all day long, at that time of the year. No doubt this is due to the warmer air over land drifting over to the cooler sea and cooling down, causing condensation.

Does anyone know how far offshore you would typically have to sail to avoid or get out of, the fog?

Our boat does have radar and AIS, but avoiding the fog as much as possible would make for a safer and much more pleasant experience.
fog is little problem (use windy pick wether window),more and biger problem is fishing net,lot fishing net and rope.
how avoid sail only in 1000 meter deep water, before go buy rope cutter for your propeller.

dont saving money on marina use marina in night,better planing.

more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
fog is little problem (use windy pick wether window),more and biger problem is fishing net,lot fishing net and rope.
how avoid sail only in 1000 meter deep water, before go buy rope cutter for your propeller.

dont saving money on marina use marina in night,better planing.

Great video, thank you for submitting, I have subscribed to the channel. Thank you also for the advice. I do have these great rope/line cutters on my props, they work well and don’t create drag.
https://www.quickwater.com.au/content.html

Not sure how well they would work on a net, though, hope I don’t find out!
Old 03-06-2022, 01:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Not sure how well they would work on a net, though, hope I don’t find out!
oooo,you find.
i think something from deep atlantic sea 3000-5000m hit in shallow portugese reef 500-1000 m deep and futher cost 500-0m

distrube sea and lot food for fish ,normaly lot fish. fisherman folow fish.

must try Bacalhau in restoran. i preferer bianco and roso.
https://www.portugalist.com/bacalhau-guide/

lso must try dry norway Bacalhau
Old 03-06-2022, 02:34   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Fog is not a problem except in the shoulder seasons.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:03   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Avoiding fog off the Portuguese coast in July

I've encountered more fog along N Spain, Galicia than I have along the Portuguese coast, as to pot's and nets, never fouled my prop in 30yrs of sailing up and down the coast.
Night fogs near Peniche a couple or 3 time's.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 00:36   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I've encountered more fog along N Spain, Galicia than I have along the Portuguese coast, as to pot's and nets, never fouled my prop in 30yrs of sailing up and down the coast.

Night fogs near Peniche a couple or 3 time's.
Boatie, thanks for sharing your wisdom.

We are planning to go to Gijon instead of directly to A Coruña, as the Galicien coast is less visited and supposed to be pretty too.
We'll give Bilbao and Santander a miss by boat, but will take a day trip from Gijon by bus instead.
It's just to far east.

Question, by your experience, how likely is it to experience strong winds and fog at the same time up there?

About to leave in 2 weeks time. Do you think we should directly head to A Coruña instead?
We do not have a real time constraints and are happy to end up in Lisbonne or Algarve in October.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:41   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

I like to go into Bayona as a first stop when crossing Biscay. A little bit further but it gets you south of Cape Finnistaire and the Rias are good sailing.

I had fog on only one occasion coming out of Bayona and it was windy as well.

The prevailing wind and current at this time of year is from the north to the south, it's worth spending some time exploring.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:09   #10

we have sailed this coast and although fog is often thick, with AIS and radar you will be fine, bar some small fishing boats who seem to be oblivious to any danger. Pots are a major issue and around Vianna de Castella they are everywhere but if youre sailing it is less of an issue. I would definately NOT motor at night, the chances of catching a pot is a real likelyhood. The ports along the coast are sometimes well spaced out but usually less than 60 miles. Swell can effect some of the entrances but marina prices are very reasonable and the towns are worth a visit
Jackoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:12   #11

Boat: Prout

I'll be doing the same July August. Having done it a few times usually Sept Oct when found fog a problem off Morocco. As said before, pots and ropes the biggest problem and now Orcas
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:25   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Boatie, thanks for sharing your wisdom.

We are planning to go to Gijon instead of directly to A Coruña, as the Galicien coast is less visited and supposed to be pretty too.
We'll give Bilbao and Santander a miss by boat, but will take a day trip from Gijon by bus instead.
It's just to far east.

Question, by your experience, how likely is it to experience strong winds and fog at the same time up there?

About to leave in 2 weeks time. Do you think we should directly head to A Coruña instead?
We do not have a real time constraints and are happy to end up in Lisbonne or Algarve in October.
The Galician coast is pretty rocky, not known as Costa del Morte for nothing as its a Lee shore..
Never been (felt the need) East of Viviero bar to pick up a couple of boats from Santander.
Fog can come in any weather if the temps are right though must confess my experiences have been in light winds.
I tend to either aim for Viviero or, if the forecast is good straight on round to Baiona.. La Coruna can be a slog to get out off heading S whereas Viviero gives you a WSW heading once you clear the headland after coming out of the ria..
Enjoy your trip Fran..

Old 04-06-2022, 02:56   #13

Lots of great inputs, thanks, and keep it coming!

Sounds like sailing far from the coast, at least in the stretch between Vigo and Porto, may be the thing to do… If one remains at depths greater than 200m (about 20 NM from the coast, in that sector), I would think that there would be very few if any pots and nets. Don’t know if longliners operate in those waters, they are the only ones not restricted by depth. If by staying 20-25NM offshore one can also avoid summer fog, it becomes an attractive proposition. Any thoughts on the fog x distance from the coast bit?
Old 04-06-2022, 09:07   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Sounds like sailing far from the coast, at least in the stretch between Vigo and Porto, may be the thing to do… If one remains at depths greater than 200m (about 20 NM from the coast, in that sector), I would think that there would be very few if any pots and nets. Don’t know if longliners operate in those waters, they are the only ones not restricted by depth. If by staying 20-25NM offshore one can also avoid summer fog, it becomes an attractive proposition. Any thoughts on the fog x distance from the coast bit?
no depth greater 1000+ meter,this 1000+ meter is 10-20 nm from cost
Old 04-06-2022, 09:46   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Dunno really, I tend to sail down between 5 and 10nm of the coast, lotsa pots but with a N-S tidal current the floats are usually steaming in a straight line with my course.. pass Porto just below the horizon.
Could be a pain in a cat if they pass between the hulls though..

Tags
fog