Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 07:33   #1

Athens Bareboat in May

Good morning everyone.

Looking for advice on Athens during May. Previously was scheduled to charter out of Abacos, but due to the hurricane thinking of an alternative plan.

Wanted to get peoples thoughts on the timing, conditions, difficulty but tentatively leaning towards the western side of the Saronic Gulf going as far as Spetses. Similar to this plan:

One last question on boat type / difficulty. I have multiple charters on monohulls in the BVIs and a healthy amount of experience chartering stateside in Charleston, SC. I am looking to get my ASA catamaran certification next weekend and planning on chartering a cat for a weekend in the next month of so. Would it be appropriate to charter a cat for Athens or not?

Thanks! Appreciate it.
smarcus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 07:54   #2
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser
Re: Athens Bareboat in May

How long is your charter?
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 08:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
How long is your charter?
Thinking 7 nights right now plus a few days on land in Athens.
Old 30-09-2019, 08:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus3 View Post
Thinking 7 nights right now plus a few days on land in Athens.
You are hitting all right places. It is a bit ambitious , but in May days are long and crowds are thin, so you might be OK. I would choose monohull for this trip: you will be at the dock every night and it will be easier to find space for monohull. Just make sure it got bowtruster for Medmooring.
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 09:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
You are hitting all right places. It is a bit ambitious , but in May days are long and crowds are thin, so you might be OK. I would choose monohull for this trip: you will be at the dock every night and it will be easier to find space for monohull. Just make sure it got bowtruster for Medmooring.
If we have to shorten up the trip thats not a problem at all.

Right now the cost of a 50' mono is the same as a 40' cat so thats the biggest reason for the current cat choice. Crew is not excited about a 40' mono. Current assumption was May would be less busy so we could fit on the quay compared to a high season trip. But obviously haven't been there before and appreciate it all the help. Thanks!
Old 30-09-2019, 09:43   #6

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Lot of great information here: sailingissues.com.

One thing I did not know is that (according to the above-mentioned site) Greece now requires an International Certificate for Operators of Pleasure Craft, or International Certificate of Competence) to charter. I am investigating how well my Sail Canada certification fits that requirement, but so far no answers. (To be fair I just emailed SC last night.) Dunno how ASA certificates fit either.

Connemara

onal
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 09:48   #7

This is moorings response on that front: https://mooringsnet.com/images/ER330.pdf

Either: ICC / IPC / SLC

ASA can apply for IPC for $39 i believe if you have 104 or above.

The sailingissues website (https://sailingissues.com/yachting-guide/bareboats.html) discusses turning ASA into an ICC type license and offers the following link https://asa.com/international-proficiency-certificate/
Old 30-09-2019, 09:48   #8

I'm not sure but I think you need a RYA certificate to charter in Europe. You should check with the charter company. I have chartered with the Moorings for over 30 years and was told that I wouldn't be able to charter with them in Europe. Just a heads up before flying in and having to have the additional expense of a captain.
joeelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 10:32   #9

Boat: GibSea 352

I've done a 6-day trip going to most of those places. In June. Couldn't get into Spetses at all - in a monohull. Hydra - we were doubled up. Aeginia was tight too. I'd recommend a monohull for these reasons. Guess you might be OK in May.
Poros should be OK, so too Epidavros (my favourite on this trip - so much to see there - especially the theatre).
One thing I would say is that the Marinas in Athens are horrible. Noisy - by a main road. Ours also had a nightclub. If you can charter from Poros, it's very much nicer.
DavidMRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 11:18   #10

Quote:
If we have to shorten up the trip thats not a problem at all.

Right now the cost of a 50' mono is the same as a 40' cat so thats the biggest reason for the current cat choice. Crew is not excited about a 40' mono. Current assumption was May would be less busy so we could fit on the quay compared to a high season trip. But obviously haven't been there before and appreciate it all the help. Thanks!
It is a personal choice: I prefer monohulls in Europe and cats in Caribbean, but there no right or wrong. Yes, it is May, but with you planned stops for breakfast and lunch you will be coming quite late into the harbour. My experience was similar to decribed above: no space in Spetses (twice), three boats deep mooring in Hydra...It was end of Sep. As far as licensing : safe way is to get ICP. If you are ASA member you can convert your 104 or 114 into ICP for 40$. It looks more official and pretty much fool proof. You might be able to get away with just ASA courses, but you never know
Old 30-09-2019, 11:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMRea View Post
I've done a 6-day trip going to most of those places. In June. Couldn't get into Spetses at all - in a monohull. Hydra - we were doubled up. Aeginia was tight too. I'd recommend a monohull for these reasons. Guess you might be OK in May.
Poros should be OK, so too Epidavros (my favourite on this trip - so much to see there - especially the theatre).
One thing I would say is that the Marinas in Athens are horrible. Noisy - by a main road. Ours also had a nightclub. If you can charter from Poros, it's very much nicer.
Good to know about the lack of dock space so thats a major reason to stick with a mono. How would you double up med moor?

A few of the crew haven't been to Athens before so starting / ending there allows us to see the acropolis and various sites at the end of the charter.
Old 30-09-2019, 11:32   #12

Quote:
It is a personal choice: I prefer monohulls in Europe and cats in Caribbean, but there no right or wrong. Yes, it is May, but with you planned stops for breakfast and lunch you will be coming quite late into the harbour. My experience was similar to decribed above: no space in Spetses (twice), three boats deep mooring in Hydra...It was end of Sep. As far as licensing : safe way is to get ICP. If you are ASA member you can convert your 104 or 114 into ICP for 40$. It looks more official and pretty much fool proof. You might be able to get away with just ASA courses, but you never know
I was hoping that May there would be more space but it seems like a mono is the way to go.

I took that itinerary from a blog post a few years back with a detailed write up of each day so it may be too adventurous but just my first stab at it.

Was going to go the ICP route to be safe. For $40 why not.

Thanks everyone! Keep the advice coming.
Old 30-09-2019, 11:35   #13

Here's the previously mentioned blog: https://www.nauticed.org/sailing-blo...-greece-day-1/
Old 30-09-2019, 11:38   #14

Quote:
Good to know about the lack of dock space so thats a major reason to stick with a mono. How would you double up med moor?

A few of the crew haven't been to Athens before so starting / ending there allows us to see the acropolis and various sites at the end of the charter.
You tie your stern to boats in first row after you drop your anchor, boats in third row will tie to you 😁 Makes leaving in the morning quite interesting. Obviously crossed anchors chains are expected. But everybody are generally very helpful. I did not find marinas in Athens to be that bad and you are there only for one night
Old 30-09-2019, 11:42   #15

Quote:
You tie your stern to boats in first row after you drop your anchor, boats in third row will tie to you 😁 Makes leaving in the morning quite interesting. Obviously crossed anchors chains are expected. But everybody are generally very helpful. I did not find marinas in Athens to be that bad and you are there only for one night
Gotcha. Very interesting. Seems very hectic leaving.

Tags
bareboat, boat